The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » It was really hard finding where to post this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
But I have been emailing Magic sites (I won't say which ones) and telling them my situation. Here is my letter to them:

Dear So & So,
Okay, I buy tricks from you a lot, here is my problem. I have arthritis in both of my wrists and I have been sick with HUS since I was 20 months old I am also in a wheelchair. I am very limited to what I can and cannot do when it comes to anything. I love Magic with a passion and I see a lot of tricks I want to buy. I do not earn a living because I'm on dialysis three times a week, and my Dad is the only one that works. His money goes to bills, food and medical stuff for me. With what spending money I do get is from my Grandfather. My Mom got a credit card for me last year so I can start building credit because I am 20 years old. Anyway, I have spent hundreds of dollars in the last year on Magic tricks and half of them I can't do. Now I know I could send them back and get a credit, but here is what's tough for me. If I buy a trick for $20 and there's another trick for $50 I can do, I still have to pay an extra $30. That is why I am asking if I become a regular customer and email you and say look I would like these three tricks to try. I'll give you all my information, my address, phone number, credit card number and you can send out the three tricks I am looking to buy so I can try them out. Whatever I can do I'll email you back and tell you what trick or tricks I can do. Then you can charge me for those tricks on my credit card or however you want to be paid. What tricks I can't do I will send back to you and if anything is damaged on my part I will pay you for the damages. I tried in the past to ask questions on a trick and I know your not allowed to say how it's done. Magicians have told me on here how tricks are done or have said I can do this trick and what I ended up buying it I couldn't do it. I'm asking you from my heart to please consider this. In no ways am I trying to rip you off, I just want to play with tricks and try them out and see what I can and cannot do. Thank you for reading this email.........

What do you guys think? If you can give me any suggestions on who to email please PM me thank you and I'm sorry if this was the wrong place to put this. Smile
§kitch
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
You should get catalogs first. After you read the descriptions you need to go to a local shop and explain your special case. If a dealer can meet you in person, he will be more likely to assist you with your specific challenges. The problem is, there are so many people conning them to get secrets, they just can't trust someone that emails a story to them.

Another good option is to get "Subject oriented videos" (coins, cards, houshold items, etc) and avoid "trick specific" videos. These can usually be bought for 10-25 dollars and give many different effects on each one. Ask your dealer to help pick ones out with effects that you will be able to do, with your specific disabilities. You can e-bay anything you have that you cannot use and take the cash to buy videos. Ask Café members if they recommend them, and check threads that already exist.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
I am sorry to hear of your problem. While sympathetic, I don't think any dealer will let you handle and play with the stuff first, because basically once the packaging is off and it has been handled, the effect is second hand when sent back! They can not then sell it as new at full price.

Your letter does not state if you are capable of holding anything or being able to take cards from a box. I imagine some days are worse than others.

It may be worth you seeking out some of the effects released by Wayne Dobson over the past few years. Wayne suffers from MS, and does not have much strength in his hands.Consequently some of these effects have been devised so that there is little handling involved.

As for playing around with stuff to see what you can and cannot do, why not buy some of the Fulves Self Working Magic books where you will find plenty of things you can try out in an inexpensive manner. Self Working Card Tricks, Self Working Paper Magic, Self Working Number Magic are just three of a series that would give you plenty to go at.

Look for card tricks that rely on stacks and set-ups where basically you are directing the action.

Paul.
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
As Paul says, unfortunately I don't think any dealer is going to agree to your terms.

What you can do though is ask members of the Café whether the handling of a trick might be suitable.

Again, read books on different areas of magic. Even if you come across a number of effects that aren't feasible, there are bound to be a number that are and you won't have wasted your money.

You may want to consider mentalism or mental magic (reading minds etc). There is a lot of this that is pretty much hands off or in the hands of your participant. Just a thought.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
296 Posts

Profile of asmayly
Skitch,
When buying a trick, call the dealer first and detail your needs and ask the dealer whether the trick can be performed considering those needs.

Because of your situation, maybe you can ask the dealer if you can use the 800# rather than the long-distance # because you absolutely have to ask specific questions before you can order your tricks. Maybe they can give you that kind of break.

Since mail-order places know we are buying long distance and can't see the tricks performed, they usually will answer questions regarding angles, handling, re-set, etc., which is the same kind of thing you would be asking.

-Asmayly
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
540 Posts

Profile of martini
Sorry to hear about your situation, It can be a tough road to haul, and all of the suggestions here have been good. I however would like to make a proposition to you. Since you are in the Philadelphia area,you are not that far from me, and I get over there twice a year as a dealer at Bob Little's Super Sunday. So here is my offer, send me your address and let me send you a couple items that we manufacture here, No charge. You work at them and catch up to me at Bob's convention the end on November, and show me how far you have come with them, and
I will pass on a couple more items to you. I have no problem giving back to magic, as God knows I have been so lucky throughout my life and enjoyed the help of so many thru the years, I am more than willing to pass it along, so to speak. I will also be able at that time to know what your limitations are and what you can and cannot handle, and will be more than happy to advise you in regards to other items. It's a tough age, especially today, to be going through the problems you are facing. Let's see if we can't help in some way.
Magically
Marty
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Now there's an offer you can't refuse!!! You should take Marty up on his very kind offer and make every effort to attend the Super Sunday convention.

Best wishes,
Paul.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Another thing that will help is if we knew what tricks have worked well for you in the past. Then, we could make recommendations and we could also advise you on the stuff you had questions on. Also, be sure to PM the people who review stuff in "The good, the bad, and the garbage". Considering how many people are on this forum, chances are that someone has the trick you have a question about. I don't feel that the secret has to be revealed to give an accurate representation of the handling involved.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » It was really hard finding where to post this (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL