The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling Chop Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Recently I saw Martin Sanderson perform the chop cup using someone's hand as the table. Does this work? I tried on myself and really felt the ball on my hand and as for final loads. Anyone do this when performing? Any thought?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
There was a good routine in Genii magazine where a silk was placed on the spectator's hand. This might help.

I've bought 3 of these magazines and keep losing them.

The silk is used as cover as well for loading the lemon.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I keep my chop cup in a Crown Royal bag and have worked it on someone's hand many times, similar to how Frank described, without using it as an aid to loading. The only time they seem to know anything is when the final load is in place, and they really don't know how it got there. They just know its there a few seconds before everyone else. I use a baseball, but if a lighter weight load were used, it may not be felt.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

You could also employ a leather chop cup which allows you to "hold out" the final load with a gentle squeeze. This is a great way to do an in-the-hands routine.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
668 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Sure they feel something Stevie D but they never ever say anything, don't worry about the weight, for the owner of the hand, it is a wierd sensation. I prefer in the hand, to table alternative.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-05-23 04:28, Philippe wrote:
...for the owner of the hand, it is a wierd sensation.

Basically, that equates to a slightly different climax coming at a slightly different time for that one person (with the rare possibility of anyone else being alerted by the foreshadowing caused by their changed facial expression!). Nothing wrong with that. Some performers have learned to exploit that concept rather nicely.

Even when asked by the others, the person with the borrowed hand may confess to knowing it was there, but can usually offer nothing as to how it got there. That kind of spectator verification can actually turbo-boost the trick's impact. After all, in the eyes of the other spectators, this guy has a decided advantage, and still comes up basically empty!

Squeezing a leather cup?? Not bad, but I'd prefer my hand to be noticably away from the cup for a few seconds. Perhaps jamming it up in, and dislodging it later?? Or does that hint at the chop method?? Would be cool if it stayed for about 5 seconds, and then dropped by itself!! Could you imagine feeling that??

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
In "Don't Forget to Point" by the Flicking Fingers there is a CC routine that (at least partially) happens in the spec's hands, with an ingenious if somewhat "knacky" final load move.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
"Would be cool if it stayed for about 5 seconds, and then dropped by itself!! Could you imagine feeling that?? "
~michael

That would be awesome! I think with some experimentation with certain 'semi-grippy' loads this would be possible. I'm going to break out my sitting-on-the-shelf chop-cup just to try that.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Thanks for the advice I love the chop cup and now I can perform it strolling. any other tips on resetting the cup between groups of people
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-05-23 14:22, STEVIE D wrote:
Thanks for the advice I love the chop cup and now I can perform it strolling. any other tips on resetting the cup between groups of people

Stick everything back into your pocket and move along. No biggie.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

The chop cups I'm about to put on my website use two identical balls.
It makes the reset easier because you don't need to figure out which is which.

They both stick and they both don't, depending on your mood.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Interesting. I'm intrigued.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
If I may say , I have a prototype of Frank's new leather Chop Cup. In one word , AWESOME.. I have shown it to many Magi's and have fooled them . Every one has identified as a backgammon/ yatzhee cup so it does not have a GIMMICK look to it. It has a very postive feel/grip to it. Can't go wrong with it. Good for Dice stacking too
/END unsolicted endorsement/ .
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
I went on the site and it said coming soon. Any idea on when?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling Chop Cup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL