The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to do in a classroom for 5 minutes? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Hi guys I need some help on this..my teacher ask me to perform a magic trick for 5 minutes in the classroom..this is my first classroom experience..what I should do??i thought about jc super closer..basically I only want to do cards for I am comfortable with it! what kind of effect will be good??should I just stop worrying and bang in a svengalli routine?i don't know!its just 5 minutes..help.
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Do what you are already comfortable with. 5 min is about one effect, done well. Unless ur doing the trick close up where a classmate is likely to grab the cards, why not us a Svengalli deck? Magicians have been using them a long time. I've seen some top pros use them. I certainly wouldn't repeat an effect or do a second with it in front of the same audience. No matter what effect you do, unless you are comfortable with it, it is going to come across poorly. So do what you know and do it well. If they don't like it, rain on them. Let them fly to Las Vegas and shell out $80+ a pop to watch Burton.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I say do your most powerful effect that you can think of. Just make sure it is one that you can do in your sleep. For me, my most powerful effects are "Red Hot Mamma", "Ambitious Card", Brother John Hamman's "Twins" and believe it or not a "Do As I Do" effect gets tremendous reactions. Just find a couple of your most jaw-dropping effects that you have mastered and knock their socks off, but most importantly, relax and HAVE FUN!

:cheers:

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Card to Wallet...

or a mental trick.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
It might be helpful to know what class this is. If it is a Psychology class then maybe a mental effect would be best or a mathematical effect for a math class.
You get the idea Smile .
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Good idea irossal.. Smile

What effects do you own? I say you bust out one of the best ones but not the best, it is very likely other peers will ask you to perform more. Warm em up...and then blow em away with your best.
RADIOMAN
View Profile
New user
Collegeville, PA
24 Posts

Profile of RADIOMAN
Here is a mind reading trick that will take 5 minutes. The teacher can write what you tell him or her to do with numbers on the board. When teacher is done writing the numbers, you tell teacher to unfold the paper that has the answer written on it.

I am PM-ing you how to do the trick. Let me know how they like it!

BOB

I forgot to mention a few details of the effect. Here's how it should read.

You write a number on a piece of paper and fold it up and place it in a hat or glass, etc. Next you ask someone to pick a number from 1 to 20. Then you can do the trick with a blindfold or by turning your back to the person or the chalkboard. Have the person do some calculations with the number. (double it, subtract 12, add 27, etc.) You then tell them to open the paper. The number on the paper is the answer to the calculations they made!!

If anyone else wants it, I will PM the secreta to them. I invented this clever trick about 20 years ago. It leaves them baffled!!
Robert Daniels. "The Great Mystini"
Gonzalo_nvdp
View Profile
New user
Spain (Madrid)
24 Posts

Profile of Gonzalo_nvdp
I agree that you have to do something you are confortable with. However you have to do something that can be followed by all the people in the class. Think on some details in your presentation that can interest everybody. If you ask for a person to help you, and you make something that is normally done to this person think also that you have to perform mainly for the rest of the class, not to him! (think on your sight, make some comments to the rest of the class, etc). special attention to the climax. Also you can think something funny using your teacher.

What I advice you is to do something of simple technique and think as much as you can on presentation
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'd first do Renegade as a warm-up then either do a Revolver or McDonald's Aces. You can do both in 5 mins. and the reaction is going to be huge!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Profile of Fiddling-Steve
Just do what you know.. Don't go and learn a new trick because it won't be as good. I find doing a completely improptu effect is best because kids will want to see the deck.
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
Salah AAZEDINE
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
177 Posts

Profile of Salah AAZEDINE
I was in the same situation 2 month ago it was my firs experience to I started with the clasic TT routine than I moved to rope routine than card trick .
but I had broblem when I was doing card trick cuz some student was so far they can't see what I was doing .but people who were in front of me enjoyed the show Smile.
R.T.
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of R.T.
Definitly do your most mastered trick. Best of luck! Let us ALL know how it goes!
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
I'm sorry to reply and thank you guys earlier..it worked..i picked some of the most comfortable trick and narrow them to wich will work for a group. I did the spectators selection is written in a paper and burn them and it appears in your hand..sorry I don't know the name of this effect but I was great..easy..just needed a simple force and its done..everyones impressed and asked for another trick. lucky I was prepared and I showed the ring and coin join from mark wilson book(in the book it was the copper silver join I think..just that I did with a borrowed ring). I did it with the teacher as everyone watched and I got what I wanted..great..those are the two of my earliest tricks and those are the ones that helped me..thank you guys!
ps..ill use the mental effect in another session they promise(after I'm confirtable with it)thank you very much!
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to do in a classroom for 5 minutes? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL