The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The model of a modern empire? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's 10:45 and my supervisor comes into my office excited.

He tells me that he didn't see any paper in the star wars movies.

He saw the new one last night, and said the special effects were impressive.

Then, three hours later comes in with that observation.

I tell him the movie action did not take place in the accounting, marketing or quality assurance facilities. We both laugh.

Did you notice any paper in the six movies? Just now I can't recall even currency note.

Then the guy comes back and tells me he did not see many trees on those planets either. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
They have computerized clipboards of some sort, but indeed there is no paper. Most of the writtings amd symbols you see have meaning - some are considered actually "languages", although I don't believe there is anything as complex as the Klingon language.

Endor had tons of trees, as did Dagobath ... and Chewbacca's home planet also has lots of trees - I'm not posative, but I believe that was Chewie's home planet on ROTS where Yoda goes. The books describe his planet, the tree's are so tall that the ground level is pitch black - there is a wookie "coming to age" ritual that requires the young brave wookie to take a journey down into the darkness.

Corosant (the capital) is the most interesting, I don't think the movies did a very good job portarying it at all. That planet is entierly populated, there is no land left - all vegitation replaced with buildings. The buildings go up as high as 500 stories. The poor lived down below, in the levels where no light ever reached. When the Empire took control, many citizens went to lower levels to hide.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
'sfunny what people actually see when they're looking...

I'd be interested in knowing your boss' thought processes that led him to this remarkable discovery. It seems to me that he was looking for paper and didn't find it, and that's what struck him as being odd.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Kashyyk is the Wookie planet in ROTS, yes. Plenty of trees.
Now, are Ewoks the evolutionary ancestors of the Wookies? Smile

As technology becomes more prevalet, we use paper less and less. Not completely gone yet of course, humans like to mark up paper. Me, I like to have multiple sheet in front of me and not have to scroll thru to read something.
But think of how wasteful paper is. How much do you throw away in an office for example (or recycle, similar use: it goes away and must be processed)? Wouldn't it be nice if we had electronic notepads or such? But the tech of SW is much further along than present 2005 technology, we're used to using paper.

No paper currency? Imagine if each planet had it's own paper/coin currency: if you never left home you'd be fine. But the space traveler (pirate, merc, stromtrooper) who be overwhelmed with conversions. So electronic credits are a galactic-wide idea. Credit cards anyone? ':-)
[Altho in Ep1 Watto says "Republic credits are no good here"...]
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"Now, are Ewoks the evolutionary ancestors of the Wookies?"

From the standpoint of the 'series evolution,' just the opposite. Lucas originally intended Endor to be populated by Wookies, then changed his mind and created Ewoks.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Yes, credits are in all the books as well ... but I'm wondering, didn't Princess Leia tell Han Solo "if money is all you care about, then it's money you shall get"? Based on an electronic credit system, I'd say that must have been one HUGE fortune Solo was loading up then!

I always felt that part of the plot didn't make sence, that they would pay him so handsomely ... at the time, the Rebellion was indeed strong but they still needed every resource they could get their hands on.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Maybe the resources they needed were materials, not money. They could pay, but what they needed had to be gotten through various 'iffy' black-market cartels.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Maybe the Rebellion had great slicers (aka hackers) who could edit banking systems and just add some zeros to the end of someone's funds... ;P
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
I met a guy who actually heated his home with junk mail. He subscribed to every catalog, newsletter and mailing list that he could find. He built a super-gigantic mailbox out on the road and his postman had to get a bigger van just to deliver the sackloads of fuel to him every day.

I told this story to my students once and one raised his hand. "That's a great idea! I'll just print out all the spam I receive... and burn it!"

Ah, the digital age.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The model of a modern empire? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL