The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting their business card! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jasper
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of jasper
This is an extention of an on going thread. Peter Marucci mentioned getting 'their' card.

I have been offered a corprate gig that requires me to do just that get peoples cards! I get paid per card!

The dilema is if you do some crazy magic with their card if would be strange to then keep it!

I guess you could exchange cards, they get yours that was, say, torn and restored, you get theirs!

Any better ideas?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Easiest Way... spellbound...

Take their card - hold in spellbound display as you look at it then show them, comment how nice a card it is... perform spellbound move as you hand back their card (now yours...) Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of jasper
Very interesting, where can I read about spellbound?
--Albert Einstein
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Probably the best way to get their card is . . . to ask for it!

Potential Client: "Could I have your card. My company is going to have a party and a magician might make great entertainment."

Magician: "Sure, here it is. And may I have yours and I'll get in touch with you ad send you a promotional package."

There, that wasn't painful at all, was it?

It's probably the best way, too.

Occam's Razor!
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of jasper
I guess the idea behind the gig I've been offered is for the company who have hired me to make the phone call and start there pitch with...'Hi, do you remember the magician last tue....' followed with whatever cunning sales pitch they use???

I guess any good effect followed by Peters approuch of asking for there card would do the job just as well!
--Albert Einstein
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Perhaps have a raffle for a free magic kit, or a $50 coupon off your next show.
:D

That way you guarantee another booking, AND get a buttload of cards Smile

If you play your *ahem* cards right, you may even get the promoter of the event to kick in a prize as well.
Logic Defied
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
If you want to learn a simple spellbound effect and buy a great trick - check out Sankeys Holy Moly - simply replace washers for business cards...
catch you later

Clarioneer
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Express your need for something to write on, for some mentalism etc. ask them if they have a card you could use
assuming their card is the same standard size as yours and erdanse change on top of a stack of yours could look very clean
Ask for them to use in a matrix.
IT floating card?

Just a few ideas
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
You could just say, "next I need several business cards." Collect all the business cards, put them in a change bag, change them into your card. Do this several times a night and you'll have hundreds of cards. Play it melodramatically/serious. I would make a commical magic gesture and then matter of factly say, and now they've all changed to my card. Do this as an aside; not a main effect. Finish with something very strong so they'll look at your card as they leave.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Hagemagic - a wife swap theme might be hilarious for this one - all the cards have your name Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
The Change Bag is a great idea.

I have two questions that I just can not get out of my mind after reading this and the questions are:

1) Why are they depending on business card collection for potential lead generation, when most shows organizers provide electronic badge scanning equipment for lead generation and contact collection at the show.

2) Why would you except being paid by the number of cards that you can collect rather than just negotiating a flat rate for your performance. It just sounds like a funny matrix to be paid by, and you are running a big risk with the total number of show registrants that actually show up to walk through the doors and an even bigger risk by guessing how many cards that you can collect.

Here is a thought on how you can collect a large number of cards and gather a lot of contact information very quickly at these shows. Set up a Magic Photo opportunity using a super x or some other prop that you can put the show audience in and have a digital photo snapped of them. Explain to them that you will need there business card so that you can send them the digital photo to there e-mail address. This works and it works great, I offered this service to a company a few years ago as an add on to my regular tradeshow performance for a charity night that was connected to the convention and the company gathered more leads that evening than they did during the entire 3 day show. All I had to do was stand over the person floating on the super x and smile. The best part it was extremely easy and I got an extra day’s pay out of only having to have my photo taken standing over people making “magical gestures” while they floated for 30 seconds.

Anyway good luck getting the cards you should post a follow up and let us all know how it went.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
JosephKerr
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
382 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
I have a running gig every year where I am networking on behalf of my client. He throws a hugh ostentatious blast every year and invites lots of people he doesn't neccessarily know and I will mingle and hand out his cards and get theirs.

I get paid for the gig and not by card but I understand what you are being asked to do.

Go ahead and do close-up and when you are done with your magic stick around and really talk with the people.

As stated the very best way to get a card FROM somebody...Is to ask. They paid money for cards that are sittinig around. They have business cards for the same reaason we all do - To get business.

Be genuinely interested and ask them what they do for a living and then after they respond , ask them for their card. They'll be more than happy to give it to you.

There is nothing wrong with making small talk at the party. It leaves a more intimate connection and makes people feel good about themselves. If you make someone feel good they'll remember you a lot longer.

BTW - The raffle idea is one that I have used in the past and to great success. Its a fantastic way to build a huge mailing list.
"Challenge Your Reality"
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2005-05-24 05:16, Clarioneer wrote:
If you want to learn a simple spellbound effect and buy a great trick - check out Sankeys Holy Moly - simply replace washers for business cards...

So do you put in two different business cards and give them a completely new card? But the business cards won't fit into the palms of their hands.. for the surprise ending.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting their business card! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL