The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Inexplicable Applause (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Greetings, Magi:

Two of my pet effects are 'sucker' bits with all the 'gotcha' edges ground smooth: Silk To Egg and a T&R Tissue Paper. Both effects have motivated applause from audiences at exactly the WRONG moments -- revealing the (obviously) fake egg, and dropping the 'torn' pieces of tissue.

This is counter-intuitive...I would expect groans, guffaws, heckling; instead, I often get either mercy applause or the real deal. What's happening? Has there been an outbreak of civility in our society and I simply didn't get the memo?

Comments? Derision?

Leland
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Sounds to me like the audience is still being entertained & having a good time-at the end of the day that's really what its all about!!

Soak up the applause-could be worse with hardly any!!

Most audiences will respond how they know best at that time-Enjoy it

I too perform Silk to egg & get very good reactions at all shows to this classic effect -always on the breaking of the egg you get a mixture of applause, loud comments about the egg being real , laughter, head scratching etc

If they like an effect-theyll clap etc

Sounds like your doing really well-Enjoy it!!!!

Cheers
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Leland,
I have had this experience too. If you feel the applause is coming at the wrong moment and that it hurts the routine because you are about to "undo" the audiences kindness by being cruel with the sucker punch, you may want to try to minimize and reduce the reation in order to help them store up appreciation for the real climax. I sometimes get too much reaction during the Ball to Cube and if I sense they are going to be too nice, I step on the applause by starting to talk over it very quickly. Roughly meaningless banter so they don't actually miss any words that matter to the effect, but that seems to close off the response in an inoffensive way and helps us get to the real point. Hope that helps.

-Ed

"The re-souling of magic should be the goal of the twenty first century magician"-S.H. Sharpe
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Ed:

Good point about managing audience reaction, but I've eliminated all of the "sucker" impact, making myself instead the butt of the 'joke' by 'failing' to restore the papers or by revealing an obviously fake egg.

In both instances, I would expect audiences to be disapproving, but I've gotten the responses I mentioned before instead. On my fake egg, I've marked a thick, black line (where the two halves connect) to make it OBVIOUSLY fake, yet people have actually gasped when it appears.

Thanks Magi,
Leland
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
At least you're getting an applause rather than not getting one. It means that your audience is enjoying your show and isn't just watching someone babble things like "i'm pushing the hanky into my hand" or "as I tear the tissue paper". You get what I mean?
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I'm guessing that they applaud thinking it's the end of the trick. If it were me, I'd ask myself the following and see if the audience itself can clue me in as to why they do this.

1. What type of audience is it? Adults, kids, senior citizens, etc.? Does this happen more with one type of audience than with another?

2. Is it mercy applause or the real thing, i.e., how enthusiastic is it?

3. What's the applause like at the end of the trick? More? Less?

Could be as simple as a particular type of audience perceiving what you're doing in a different way than you intended.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Leland,
I can only guess then that folks are just really diggin' you and and your show. It is possible that your persona is so likeable that they just want to be positive right back at ya. Why fight it. Let them applaud and then you notice the fake, etc and play it that way. Go get em!

-Ed
"The re-souling of magic should be the goal of the twenty first century magician"
-S.H. Sharpe
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Inexplicable Applause (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL