The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Stigmata Effect. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
The Stigmata Effect.

Hey everyone.

This is a bit of a strange request but here goes nonetheless. I am currently compiling research on the “Stigmata” effect, an examination of modern methods of instant and profuse bleeding of the palms. As well as related effects. If anyone knows any sources of either newspaper articles or like that I may have missed in my research I would be very grateful if they would be kind enough to point me on my way.

Thanks for your time hope for some intresting pointers,

Luke Jermay.

Smile
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I would say checkout the movie "Stigmata". It delves into the phenomenon itself. As far as how the achieve the effect? How about Latex, tubes, fake blood, and a few pumps.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
There was a book many years ago, entitled, how to start your own religion or something like that, you could pick it up through underground book stores. The book detailed how to make statues bleed tears, and the like, was actually a pretty good read!! Also, for a lighter side of things check out Steve Martin's movie "Leap of Faith"..........hehehe. I will have to track down the book, it has been about 10 years since, I looked at it.

Kevin Smile

I had some time today, I did not come up with the book, I mentioned (sooo many boxes to go through), however you may want to check out:

Looking for a Miracle: Weeping Icons, Relics, Stigmata, Visions & Healing Cures
by Joe Nickell

A nice read, I think you can still get this at most book stores.

Scams from the Great Beyond and more Scams from the great beyond is considered good reading, but I have not read them, so I can't really offer a good review of them.

I will still look for the book, I mentioned.

Kevin Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Just so you know, stigmatics have it all wrong. People who believe tend to bleed from their palms and feet and each one picks a different side of the stomach to bleed from. Why is this wrong? Well, Romans would crucify individuals by nailing them through the wrist or forearm and through the ankles... why? because the weight of the body would rip open the hand if nailed this way. As for the stomach wound, in the Bible a Roman soldier stabs Jesus in the stomach to see if he is dead, but it is not described as to which side he stabbed. So stigmatics have been taking their wounds from pictures that depicted the crucifixion and not what probably really occurred.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
knave
View Profile
New user
UK Newcastle
72 Posts

Profile of knave
There is an investigation into stigmata, focusing on South America, in the current issue of the Fortean Times.

http://www.forteantimes.com

for details

Regards
Dave
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Doesn't Banachek use stigmata in his show?
This is a great phenomenon. I have a couple of ideas on how you can do this, even on someone elses hand. If you are interested Luke, PM me. You should also check with Randi at the foundation. He may be able to point you in the direction of some written material.

Chad
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Robert Neale also published an effect based around this in Tricks of the Imagination.

-George Tait
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Al Mann apparently covers stigmata effects in his booklet, "The Marks of Saint Germain". A fairly rare piece it seems, the only place I can find a copy is here:

http://magicmookie.homestead.com/almann.html
FrankStone
View Profile
New user
South Africa/Taiwan
74 Posts

Profile of FrankStone
There is a stigmata effect in Penn & Teller's book "How to play with your food".
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I once considered having my wrists pierced until I found out that you are not supposed to wear cuff links with a short sleeved shirt.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
FrankStone
View Profile
New user
South Africa/Taiwan
74 Posts

Profile of FrankStone
I have a stigmata effect that I came up with a while ago where your hands as well as your feet start to bleed. Anybody interested in this routine can PM me.

Thanks for all the nice responses and additional ideas for my "Stigmata" effect. Your guys are great!
spook
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
150 Posts

Profile of spook
I don't know about other methods but I've always found that praying really, really hard does the trick for me.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Do some online research on Father Pio.
Father Padre Pio, was the holy friar of our times. "All has its origin with the Christian age when Christ rose from the dead after three days from that sepulchre garrisoned by roman and Judaic guards."
- The Myster of the Stigmata in Art
One of my favorite collected icons is that of Father Pio. I include a photo of it at my personal site (no magic info. there - sorry).
[outdated link]
Father Pio's stigmatic condition was so severe during the Holy Mass that the average alter boy's job included changing the bandages on the Father's hands and wringing out bloody rags.
On May 3, 1999, the day after the beatification of Father Pio, Pope John Paul II said:
". In him God's mercy was made flesh in the fullness of time, to bring salvation to humanity mortally wounded by sin. "By his wounds you have been healed" (1 Pt 2: 24), the blessed father repeated to all in the words of the Apostle Peter, he whose body was marked with those wounds."

Do an online search of Father Pio - many accurate information rich sites out there.

Randy Stewart
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Stigmata Effect. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL