The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First time close-up in resturant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
A friend invited me to perform close-up in the end of July till the middle of August. He does it in a high volume resturant. What I am looking for is what stuff do you do for close-up for resturants. If someone could tell me books or even DVD or tricks that you like to use. Let me know this is all new to me. This is a big time tourist town that I will be doing it.
thanks
mike
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Have at least 5 sets of 3. Which means have 5 sets of 3 different tricks and rotate the selection at each table to aoid repetition. If you want to know which tricks to use spend a day looking over this whole forum.
markz
View Profile
New user
Omaha, NE
5 Posts

Profile of markz
Carl Andrews has a great lecture and DVD with very practical real world stuff.
It's called "Making A Living Performing Close Up Magic"

Best of luck!
Mark
Sgroge
View Profile
New user
N Shore Boston MA
55 Posts

Profile of Sgroge
Here are two good books that cover everything from appearance and approaching a table to repertoire and working with the wait staff. These are both available.
Jim Pace and Jerry MacGregor The Restaurant Worker's Handbook.
Kirk Charles The complete Guide to Restaurant and Walk-Around Magic
Trying to die young as late as possible!
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
See my biggest problem with book is that I can't read that well. I depend on picture or videos or friends. Anyone suggest a DVD or something?
mike
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Mystikalmike,

R. Paul Wilson has put out a DVD on restaurant magic called the 'Restaurant Act' and his entire act, once completed, is ALREADY RESET and ready to go again for another table.

He gives useful advice about performing in restaurants and what to do and what not to do.

So if it isn't too late...
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
magicmoment
View Profile
New user
Down Under Australia
54 Posts

Profile of magicmoment
Quote:
On 2005-05-31 15:36, mysticalmike wrote:
See my biggest problem with book is that I can't read that well. I depend on picture or videos or friends. Anyone suggest a DVD or something?
mike

You will have a hard time browsing the forum then. lol. Just kidding,I know what you mean. I second The R.Paul Wilson DVD on restaurant magic. Try Instant resetting effects. Here is an idea of what I use,

Fire Wallet, Holy Moly, Invisible deck, Thought transmitter, Sponge Balls, Coin purse with coins for some coins accross and deck of cards for some miracles. Not all effects are performed at once but are there if I'm having fun and feel like I can go longer, if need be I can perform this on a 'dead' table using only a few effects. I can go from 2min-10min with these limited props, don't cram your pockets up and learn to work light. Everything resets instantly and goes back in my corresponding pockets.
Hope this helps a bit, and G'day from down under!
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
So I see every one is R. Paul Wilson is then best out there. OK then, that's what I will go with.
Mike
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
287 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
Jim Paces videos are also very good.

STeve
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Don't bother at this point with learning new tricks.
Find six or nine tricks which reset thenselfs and arange them in sets of three.
Try to chose tricks which involve the audience, have them hold, or sign things, or borrow coins or rings.
Plan a pocketing plan so you know were everything is and were it goes back to.
And most important - relax and enjoy yourself.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Would it be out of line to suggest that people who want to work professionally actually have a professional act before accepting work in the first place?

Believe it or not the Beatles could sing and play instruments BEFORE the booking on the Ed Sullivan show. It is my understanding that generally this is the way most of the performing arts work, with the notable exception of ours.

Is it any wonder we are not taken seriously as an art form? Ever wonder why as a professional magician you are sometimes greeted with weird looks and blank stares when approaching a table?

Ok sorry enough ranting, but shouldn't we think about it anyway? If I am alone here I am sorry, but it seems to follow logically. All of the fine arts train for years and years to perform. You can't go down to the local Opera shop and pick up a few songs and BAM! your on. If we want to be taken seriously, maybe we should start taking ourselvs seriously.

MIke if you go through with the gig best of luck to you.

Danny
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
I don't think you should use one source as YOUR restaurant act. You need to find tricks that fit your character and compliment one another. I could tell you my set but you might bomb with it. If take another magicians act it might not fit me. It will be very obvious to the audience! Just my 2 cents.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First time close-up in resturant (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL