The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Contest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Here is a contest without a prize. it's just for fun.
come up with answers to these

1. longest word
2. longest word with no E
3. longest word typed with only the right hand
4. longest word typed with only the left hand
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2253 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
1. longest word
2. longst word (No E)
3. longest word (I typed this with only my right hand)
4. longest word (I typed this with only my left hand)

:o)

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
1. The longest word found in any English dictionary would be "PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS"

2. FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION

3. JOHNNY-JUMP-UP (a fast-growing flower or a brand name for a type of toy)

4. AFTERCATARACTS, TESSERADECADES and TETRASTEARATES

Here's a bonus, however: What's the longest word that can be typed using on the top row of keys on a typewriter?
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
That one I do Know, I think.

Typewriter
jessicashurtz
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jessicashurtz
Yea that's right lambertmoon. actually, I use dvorak as my keyboard (http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/) so this is an interesting thing to contemplate. all of the vowels are on the left side home row, all of the most used consonants are on the right side home row theoretically making it faster to type. I will tell you it's MUCH more comfortable and that I do type faster and more accurately, but this isn't the case for everyone. your fingers travel "16 times less" in typing out words, so dvorak has been suggested for those who suffer from RSI. (i reccommend switching too)

but since the vowels and consonants are separated like that I'm really going to have to think about what the longest word I can type with only one hand is... I'm guessing you looked those up, Scott, but there aren't any good sites on this for dvorak unfortunately.
-j
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Very Interesting, J. I had never heard of any alternative to the conventional keyboard. From the website, it seems to have been around and debated for a while.
Good post.
JackTrumper
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of JackTrumper
From memory, the dvorak keyboard is far better then the standard QWERTY keyboard but we keep to the standard as we have grown acustomed to it.
The QWERTY keyboard was in fact designed to slow down typers as they were typing to fast with the DVORAK keyboard for the old typewriters to handle so they created the QWERTY with the vowels away from the center...
Do coffins have lifetime guarantees..?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Contest (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL