The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 3 Card Monte - Which Source for Beginner? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Hi Guys:

I have heard of many wonderful sources from which 3 Card Monte can be learned.
For me, I have never touched 3 Card Monte and have no idea on how it is accomplished.
However, I would like to learn to perform it.

What is the best source (book/DVD) for a beginner like me for learning 3 Card Monte (Ungaffed version) till performance standard?

Please recommend. Thanks
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Get the Full Monte by Daryl. It will teach you all the moves you need and you can make your own routine from there.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
For an excellent reference, get School for Scoundrels book "Notes on the Three Card Monte."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I like Doc Easons routine on one of his dvds.
It's also covered in Expert at the Card Table
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
205 Posts

Profile of Sean
Daryl's Full Monte and the School for Scoundrels book is probably all you need. I find that they complement each other nicely and provide a wide range of materials to study.
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
You can learn Dai Vernon's version in the the Inner Card Trilogy by Louis Ganson.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
On 2005-05-26 13:21, johnlamberti wrote:
You can learn Dai Vernon's version in the the Inner Card Trilogy by Louis Ganson.

This is what I would recommend. It's a very good starting point.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
If you want the most complete coverage of 3 card monte, the only choice id Daryl's Full Monte.

However, if you want a quick routine that you can download right now, check out http://www.5FingerMagic.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Daniel,
Nice site.

Have you considered breaking down the package deal so people don't have to buy all 20 "secrets" at once? Maybe a 3 pack? 5 pack? Something like that?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of luvisi
I give what I believe to be a decent description of Three Card Monte on http://www.practicenotincluded.com/

Andru
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
Hi Dave,

Thanks. I have thought about breaking it down into smaller groups. Just haven't had time to re-configure the shopping cart.

thanks,

Update: June 2 2005

Okay, I've taken your advice. The tricks are now avalible as a group or individually.

Thanks,
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
A good dvd on the three card monte is Sal Piacente's Street Monte: Three Card Monte

It is excellent.
bigdw1
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of bigdw1
You can also see Vernon perform three card monte on "Dai Vernon's Revelations" vol 13/14. Very impressive for anyone, let alone a man in his late 80's.
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
Daryl did it for me, clear explanation and nice performance. And definatly a nice starting point for the three card monte
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
RADIOMAN
View Profile
New user
Collegeville, PA
24 Posts

Profile of RADIOMAN
I am using the version of three card monte that I read about in Erdnase's "The Expert At The Card Table." I have added a variation to it and it works every time!

Has anyone used this version? The book was first published in 1902, reprinted in 1953, which is the edition I have.

I don't remember ever seeing another way of performing it, but I wasn't active in magic for many years.

BOB
Robert Daniels. "The Great Mystini"
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
I do 3 card monte using gimmicked cards. If do it right, very deceptive, as you can do really slowly. For a skeptical audience, I'd do it faster, misdirect him/her that I rely on speeding up to cover the move.
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Hmmm- I'll chip in my two cents for Darly's video, "Daryl Does the Full Monte"... ahh I'm still using VHS. Shame on me. Disregard that comment. Here's a correction: Hmmm- I'll chip in my two cents for Daryl's DVD, "Daryl Does the Full Monte"

Also, as many others have mentioned- Dai Vernon's monte routine can be found in the Vernon book of magic- as well as the VHS Vernon chronicles. Doe! I did it again. Alas I must upgrade my technological terminology to include: DVD. Personally- I'd check out the book/print version. Books in my opinion overrate anything else. More space for creativity and thought. Also, teaches those visual learners to read:)

Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Gregory Wilson has a nice version of 3 card monte on his In Action DVDs called Flat Out Monte.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
The Three Card Monte and The Three Shell game are explained very well in Sal Piacente's series. Sal is a good teacher and also takes the time to explain the psychology behind the games, The Grifts, and the reasons why the Monte man never loses. Besides, he actually made a living doing it.
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
The Dragon
View Profile
New user
The Dark Shadows.
90 Posts

Profile of The Dragon
Dai Vernon's Inner Card Secrets. There is a descriptive source of Three Card Monte. It's great! Go check it out.

D.
Don't think too much.

Just hit it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 3 Card Monte - Which Source for Beginner? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL