We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell Game Shells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

njh
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
143 Posts

Profile of njh
The La Maggiore shells are out of my price range. What other decent sets of shells can people reccomend, preferably one made from real walnut shells? I'm looking to spend not more than $35.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Real walnut shells cost less than $35, and you get to eat the nuts too!

I have La Maggiore, and a few others, and I still made a set just for the fun of it. It's not that hard to do. Get some "Rock Hard" wood putty and some sandpaper and you're all set.

If you want to buy pre-made walnuts, check out http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com

They have several suppliers that use real nuts.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I think "Black Fox" (did I get that name right?) are about half the price of La Maggiore shells, with the S4S Street Shells a bit more expensive.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You got the name right. My other set is a "Black Fox" turtle shell set. Black Fox also makes standard shell shapes in plastic. They're all available on the SfS website.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1966 Posts

Profile of tbaer
If you get a cheaper set of shells or make your own, make sure you purchase the "perfect pea".
njh
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
143 Posts

Profile of njh
Anyone know anything about "The Boston Man's Chopped Walnuts - Bruce Martyn." They're cheap, made from real walnuts, and have a magnet built in. Is there anything not to like that I should know about?
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The vernet shells are very cheap and decent until you save your money for one of the better sets.
The peas they supply these days are not bad either.

I have a set just for fun.

frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
I own both the La Maggiore and School for Scoundrels Street Shells. Both sets of shells are EXCELLENT! However, I have a slight preference for the La Maggiore shells since they look incredibly real and I prefer the larger size. Overall, I think you will be happy with either set of shells.

The most important part is the "Perfect Pea" which is produced by the School for Scoundrels. This pea is INCREDIBLE and makes the moves effortless on any surface. The good news is that the "Perfect Pea" comes with both of these shell sets.

Kind regards,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
I like the Black Fox shells. I have not gotten my scarabs yet, but the shells are for me just the right size. I have rather large hands, but not so large that I enjoy the monstous La Maggiore shells. Black Fox walnut shells look like walnut shells, and are between the SFS street shells and La Maggiore in size. At a price of mid 30's, they are a great deal, too. (also included is the fourth, solid shell). Perfect peas are a must, though.
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
The best street shells in my opinion are whit haydn's street shells and the go for $45 I think, but they are worth the extra $10.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
I thought when looking at them side by side, that the Black Fox shells looked more like real walnut shells, versus resin copies. To each his own though, and one thing you can be sure of, is that you cannot go wrong with anything put out by the School For Scoundrels.
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Check out the following link to see photographs of La Maggiore shells next to the actual walnut shells they were cast from.

(BTW: there is a small contest there as well).

Good luck!

ajp
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Camirand Academy of Magic (http://www.camirandmagic.com) sell Gary Ouellet's 'Supershells' kit for $25. For that you get the shells (real walnut shells already prepared for the trick), pea, shotglass, pouch & bowls.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Quote:
On 2005-05-26 11:52, njh wrote:
Anyone know anything about "The Boston Man's Chopped Walnuts - Bruce Martyn." They're cheap, made from real walnuts, and have a magnet built in. Is there anything not to like that I should know about?

I think the only problem is that they won't last forever. But I am not quite sure.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Well...

I forgot the link!

Here 'tis:

http://threeshellgame.com/cafe.htm

Have fun!

ajp
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I have the La Maggiore, but my favorites are the Black Fox scarabs. Bob Sheets let me try his scarabs a couple of years ago and I immediately ordered some. They work well for me and they are an intriguing and beautiful design...they are great for patter about the ancient origins of the con.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Or you could get three bottles of soda. Drink the soda then get some sand paper and sand down the rough edges on the bottle caps near the opening edge. Then get a sponge ball and cut it down to several peas.

Or go to the dollar store and get three small plastic goblets - they come in many colors including gold plastic.

Try to find a copy of All In A Nutshell and do Frank Garcia's routine or go to my web site and download my routine because it is a free download.

That should get you started.

I hope this helps...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell Game Shells (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL