The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Becoming a Locksmith (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Well, being an escape artist I find I should get an understanding of locks, because if I don't know how it works, I can't defeat it!!!

Many of you have degrees and all that, How should I go about getting one

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Thanks, I found one nearby

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
Are there any good schools out there?

Roger Smile
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Perry

There are a few other threads on here that do deal with this. Read a few of them and PM those who have posted on them. I am sure that they will help with advice if you ask them. I unfortunately cant help here as I am not a lock smith. But I do like to take locks apart to see how they work, it is a nice start.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Wolfie...that's what I tell everybody. Go to a local builder or carpenter. Ask them to save all the locks they take off when they replace them. Take them to pieces and find a way to bypass them. Fit them into pieces of wood to simulate a door and try to get it open.

There is nothing better than hands on. Books can tell you the theory, but when you put it into practice, you have to use this information and then some!!!!

This "some" is the information in your head when you have studied those old locks.

I have been a Master Locksmith for over 30 years and I'm still taking locks to pieces, particularly new models to see if I can bypass the "anti manipulation" modifications put in by the makers. It's great fun.

Enjoy

Mick H
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Mick, took the words right out of my mouth.
For the techniques you need for escapes, you don't need a full locksmithing course, only the good 'secret squirel' stuff.

Ian
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hehehe... Secret Squirel? Showing your age Ian Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
If you know what he means, then so are you Ros. :o)
Wolflock
South Africa
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
LOL at Wolf.

I had to ask my Grandad first.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Uh huh! We believe you. LOL. Too late for the save. Smile
j/k
Wolflock
South Africa
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
If you are serious about becoming a locksmith, there are several "correspondence" type schools out there. I recently completed the Thompson/Education Direct course, and just today, I opened a co-worker's truck in which he had inadverdently locked the keys. When the door unlocked, I told him, "You are sooo buying me dinner one night!" It was cheaper than a service call for a locksmith!

I have also heard good things about the Foley-Belsaw course. Of course, the best thing I did while taking the course was to go to a local locksmith company and hang out with them. They helped me when I needed help, and also let me get some practice in when applicable.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Michael
Margarette, you were very lucky to be welcomed into the locksmith's domain. The locksmiths in my area were not very nice to me. I think the fact that you are a good looking girl may have helped you out. I was yelled at and ran out of a few locksmith shops in my area for asking lock questions. I learned a lot from library books, the Foley-Belsaw course, and from a lot of trial and error. Lately, I have found a lot of good info on-line...if any of you are looking for lock info, especially basic info, run "how locks work" on a search engine and check out different sites and their links. Mike
*CAUTION* Does NOT play well with others!
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
Holy yeppers Michael!!!!! The locksmiths were not very nice to you? Yelled at you and ran you out of the shop for asking questions? Hmmmm, very odd behavior as I have never experienced anything like that. Everyone I have ever talked to in a locksmith shop was always courteous, and loved the questions.

Roger Smile
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Ros, you young wipper snapper, wait until you get to the convention, I'll dribble on you. (LOL) Glad grandpa remembers the squirrel.

Ian
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Michael
If your questions are leading up to you spending money in their shop...then yes, locksmiths are very sweet. But when you ask why you are not having very good luck picking open an American 700 padlock, then thier demiener changes dramaticly. In my neck of the woods, competition is fierce and we also are very heavily populated with automotive plants. These plants hire on average "joes" and then send them to locksmith school so that they can keep several full time locksmiths in their plant around the clock. These "joes" almost always start up little home based businesses of thier own and the ultimatly hurt the full time locksmiths. So you see why they might get a little upset over the thought of another would-be locksmith picking their brains and taking their business. I have a couple of great (horror) stories about when I first tried to get into the business in the early 90's...I will share some of them with you when I have more time. Mike

Ian, I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself to you and give you the reconition you deserve. I am The Amazing Michael aka Mike England, and I have been a big fan of yours ever since I first saw your work. You are a fantastic craftsman!!! If I ever had the ability to do what you do... as well as you do...I would be beside myself!!! Please keep up the good work! Please feel free to e-mail me if you ever want to chat about anything...I would love to hear from you. We have a lot in common. Mike
*CAUTION* Does NOT play well with others!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
G'day The Amazing Michael,thank you, check you PM.

Ian
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
I checked out the local locksmith school near me and the tuition was nearly $10,000. The worst part is that I can't even work part time as a locksmith after I graduate to help offset the cost of the school. It seems Police Officers in New York are not allowed to work as lock smiths as it is considered a conflict of interest. I guess I'll have to check out some of those correspondance courses for now.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
PS Just for the record I'm a big Secret Squirrel fan
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I don't know if my gender played any part in the way I was received in the locksmith shop, but the first time I went into one, I walked up to the counter and asked for help. I was having trouble making a key for a lock and told them. The locksmith was a bit taken aback when I told him that I was taking a locksmithing course....I believe his response was, "Why?" Anyway, he was very helpful, and told me to come in any time I needed any help or if I just wanted to hang out and observe. I won't mention what locksmith shop I went to, but they ended up giving me a lot of old locks to work on.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Quote:
On 2005-05-27 04:15, Roslyn wrote:
Hehehe... Secret Squirel? Showing your age Ian Smile

Ha! I resemble that remark! Ian, you hold him down and I'll kick him...kids these days!......Smile

Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Becoming a Locksmith (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL