The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » My youth, what to do??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
I think I'm the youngest guy here, and many others older, and wiser

So my question to you is what would you do with my life ESCAPE WISE???

A little weird, but I want to know others experssions and what they wish they did when they were young, no regrets

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Listen to the workers (Not the sayers) comments,watch as many pro ea`s as you can and be prepared to take constructive critique from audience members and act on their observations.
Give your audiences what they want rather than what you think they want.
Be yourself and not a mirror image of another.
Learn to sort out the chaf from the wheat and treat the knowalls and mouth`s in this biz with the contempt they deserve!

Ken.
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
I like this Kondini!
I've met some (workers)though, who don't really know all that much. You know the ones when you ask them a question, they say go look it for yourself. Or, I will get back to you, but never do. On the same note, I have found some who are not (workers) as you say, that know quite a lot and will take the time to show you things, and do get back to you. Some of the best teachers are not always(workers) and some of the best (workers) are not always good teachers! Learning to sort out the chaf from the wheat is a learning experience for sure! And, I think one can sort out the knowalls that don't know anything and just run the mouth, from the knowalls that actually do. A student, such as myself is smart enough to figure that out! You're advice is well taken Kondini!

Roger Smile
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Kondini has given GREAT advice here.

My advice, learn what you can from who you can.
don't burn your bridges. If you don't like someone's advice, don't take it.
Try to get as many experts in their fields to bind you. eg. Wardens or cops to cuff you. Fishermen for ropes and knots, etc. See how they do things.
don't be afraid to take a chance, but don't get a big head about it.
don't get arrogant or cocky.
Help others, sometimes helping someone else can help you see things from a different view which can help you solve something for yourself too.
Be friendly.
Practice, practice practice.
LOVE what you do.
Find out from your audience what they felt about the show, and what they expected.
You will find that MANY good idea's can come from them.

Steve Baker has some nice advice on his site too.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
Outstanding Wolflock!!!!!

Roger Smile
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Mind Freak,

You will have to earn the respect of any working pro. They will no just give you information because after all it's this info that has taken them years to aquire. A non-worker doesn't have anything to lose. I've found by earning the pro's respect you get better and much wiser knowledge than from those who have never worked.

Patience is the key. Read all you can from the sources available (the EARL, Cannons, PastorClyde, Steve Baker, other EAs websites). As Kondini says, watch how other EA's do their stuff. Don't rush ahead. This may sound a little daft but if you think about it, it makes sense. Go see the latest Star Wars movie. Listen to he teachings of the Jedi. Ok, you're not going to be fighting in a galaxy far, far away but the basic idea is worth thinking about.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
Hi Ros, and thanks!
I agree and disagree with the first half, and completely agree with the second half! I don't agree with the non-worker comment! I know a few who run shops and love to teach, but don't work as a pro. I think a little misguided thinking there, but that's just my opinion.

Roger Smile
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The props,the escapes,the methods,high technical expertise etc are NOT the most important thing.
To be able to present the illusion,to sell the lie that you are what you claim to be can not be stripped down and put into words,,knowing how and doing are a mile appart.

Steve Baker sells an escape (A very simple technical escape) So his knowledge of how, is not required to make his selling the lie great.See his DVD and figure it out yourself.

I started out the wrong way because I had no-one to ask, in time those that I did ask told me to find it for myself,,,I hope I have,,,or maybe I am still looking!!!
I am not worthy to teach or preach, I just make my living from entertaining (So what!)Ask a Plumber to show you the way to be a great Plumber,,,his answer would be,,get off your ass(pc) and get out and try,then fail and try again.

If any young man/woman is hungry enough for the spotlights,,they will get there,in the end,,,,it depends just how hungry you really are (Im starving!!!).
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
Kondini, GREAT WORDS OF WISDOM!!!!!

Roger Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » My youth, what to do??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL