The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Movies about Houdini ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
How many movies about Houdini have been made? And which one is considered to be the most accurate account of his life?

Roger Smile
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
There was the Tony Curtis Movie in the60's. Then "The Great Houdini" with Paul Michael Glaser in the 80's I think, and then "Houdini" (a TNT TV movie) with Jonathan Sheake the most recent a few years ago.

In my opinion, all had their faults.The curtis movie was a good starting point with a few inaccuracies, particulary depicting his death in the Torture Cell.

Again, my opinion, The Paul Michael Glaser movie was awful! Very inaccurate.

The TNT TV movie was promising, and had some great moments, but it was spoiled by the ending when Houdini came back to life!???

So I can't find a favorite. It's about time that a big bucks movie was made, and I'd like to be story editor! It will be correct then!

Oh...Disney made a film "Young Harry Houdini". Not bad, but not a true biography.

Also it's worth looking at "The Escape Artist" Not Houdini, but there obviously are similarities. You might fing this at a garage sale somwhere. Get searching. You'll like it.

Mick H
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
Thanks Mick! I had only heard of the Tony Curtis and Disney movie. It appears that Hollywood has been pretty silent on Houdini! I hope a big screen movie makes it's way to the theaters someday.

Roger Smile
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Silent on Houdini? Mick listed 4 movies on Houdini. That's hardly silent. I for one would like to see movies about OTHER performers in the magical arts besides Houdini. Many artits's lives would make tremendous movies. Carter the Great for example. But I'd use Caveney's biography as the basis for the movie instead of the novel that was written.

Howard Thurston, Harry Kellar, or how about Chung Ling Soo! One that is lesser known, but who's life story would be great is The Great Lafayette, who's pet Dog Beauty was given to him by Houdini. Tragic story, but would make a great film.

For those interested, Fairy Tale -The Movie features Houdini as one of the characters. Harvey Kietel plays Houdini and he is fabulous.

Also RAGTIME The musical features Houdini, but I don't recall if Houdini was featured in the movie version that starred James Cagney.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Only in 'newsreels-in-the-movie-theatre' scenes.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Sorry..I forgot about Fairytale. Also most recently there were plans to do a movie about Houdini starring Tom Cruise. (I have the script...) but it was shelved for some reason. Anyone know why?

Mick H
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
There was one on TBS about Houdini. and another one Called the Great Houdinis. both might just be Based upon stories told about Houdini.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
There'a also the one made in France, circa 1910.

The Houdini ones I like to find are "The Soul of Bronze" and "Deep Sea Loot". I have all his silent movies, so I would like to add these to complete. Also, a working script from the Tony Curtis. If you have anything, please let me know.

Best Always,
Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
There was also a Czech film made about Erik Jan Hanussen ("Hanussen") which, like the Orson Welles film, "Black Magic" (about Count Cagliostro), painted the principal as a natural hypnotist.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
I believe that it was Scott Interante who played Houdini in the James Cagney "Ragtime" movie. Scott put out a pretty nice Escapology instructional video for Tony Hassini's International Magic Society's Magic video series. It was the first Escape video I ever owned and I learned quite a bit from it. I haven't heard much about Scott in recent years though.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0396378/ here is a link for the movies Houdini made. Problem is no one I have seen has seen the bronze movie. One guy even questioned me on it. Is there any info on it in any of the Houdini books out there?
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Kevin..I can't find any record of "The Soul of Bronze" and "Deep Sea Loot" in any of my book collection. Can you give me more info.

thanks

Mick
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Mick,

The link above this mentions one of them. The other is mentioned on the back of The Boys'Cinema card from 1922.

Hope this helps you......Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Thanks Kevin. I saw the link, but can't find any record of either of these 2 movies anywhere. Looked in all the best biographies today, but no record of them.

Would be interesting to find out more...

Mick
dylan1961
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of dylan1961
Hi Mick, and others,
on the link above see the 3rd title, it's THe Soul of Bronze. Many people believe this was a movie idea Houdini had but that was never made. Houdini published several
synopsis's for movies, including Yar the Primeival Man, The Mysterious Mr. Yu, or Haldane of the Secret Service, Il Mystero, or the Mystery of the Jewel, etc...
I think a few of the unpublished ones may include The Soul of Bronze, although I've seen this listed as a published pamphlet, and Deep Sea Loot. Whether the movies exist or not is the question. As for Houdini's movies, I'd sure appreciate ANYONE out there who can supply me a VHS copy of The Grim Game. Thanks, Johnj
NOTE---I will also pay top dollar for the little published movie pamphlets by Houdini.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Movies about Houdini ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL