We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Antisocial rabbit... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Having been involved in magic for a while, many of my co-workers at my day job were aware of my interest in magic.

So a co-worker gave me a rabbit, with cage, food, toys all kinds of things. I took it because hey it was free and I would have bought a rabbit and accessories eventually. It’s a black dwarf type of rabbit, I named him Houdini of course.

I find this rabbit does not like to be touched, let alone picked up and I'm wondering if this is temporary or will the rabbit in time learn to be more social?

I've read they are social animals and will learn to identify members of the family and interact with them. My co-worker admitted to me the rabbit was not properly cared for by his children. They fed it, kept it watered, but never took it out of the cage for exercise or play.

Is this rabbit hopeless? Anyone have any tips for making him less fearful of touch or being handled? I'm really hoping little Houdini will adjust and let me use him in my act. As it stands he fidgets and jumps around when handled or picked up.

I have some books on proper handling, but he still just seems to not like being picked up or touched even when done "properly"

Slowly he is letting me pet him without running away, should I just have more patience? When I first got him he would not even let me touch him...

Steven
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Be patient!
I too have a dwarf rabbit.
I was NOT the previous owner.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Contact me by PM and I will be glad to sit down with you and help calming him down.

Bob
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Patience is a virtue, and with annimals, it goes double!

Your rabbit is probably not hopless, but it does need attention! The more you handle him (gently, of course), the more he will become acustomed to you. Leaving a radio on nearby will also get him used to noisy places.

But geting him to be sociable will take time...

have a good day!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
It depends on how old the rabbit is. Animals that have been "hand tamed" from early age are much easier to deal with than older animals who have not been hand tamed. If you have an older rabbit, it can be made tamer, but I doubt it will be as hand tamed as you could get a younger one to be.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Quote:
On 2005-05-30 16:51, photius wrote:
It depends on how old the rabbit is. Animals that have been "hand tamed" from early age are much easier to deal with than older animals who have not been hand tamed. If you have an older rabbit, it can be made tamer, but I doubt it will be as hand tamed as you could get a younger one to be.

I agree with you 100% Photius! I believe that is true of just about any animal that I can think of. Hence the need for patience, and facing the very real possibility that the bunny may not be ready to be in a show any time soon, or ever!

I have been lucky myself, but I have also heard of rabbits that simply hate being "stuffed in a box" until their magical appearence. If they start to growl and fight and byte, you may have to face the fact that he may not be the one to be in a magic show...

just my opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Antisocial rabbit... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL