The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Padlock Shim Picks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
I've been looking into getting a few lock picking items and was wondering if anyone knows if Padlock Shim Picks are effective, worth the money?

Roger Smile
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
Hi Roger,

Yes, padlock shim picks are very effective!!

The picks unique design makes them very successful. Their forte is opening laminated type padlocks (the most popular variety in use today).

They will open almost any lock which has a flat top body (as oppossed to round top), providing there is not a deadlocking latch and there is enough clearance to allow the shim to operate.

Red Von
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Michael
Roger, shim picks are a catch 22 for a lock picker. They work well on a lot of cheap asian locks, but these locks can be picked, in most cases, easier than they can be shimmed. There is a way to by-pass the plug on these locks and I, and many other people, have opened these locks quicker than you could open them with a key! I would'nt waste my money on shim picks.
*CAUTION* Does NOT play well with others!
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
Thanks for the info Michael.
My approach here was to get the escape artists thoughts on a few items, and it seems to be working. I asked about shim picks here to make an observation more or less, because I have been looking into getting a few items. This was my first post on picks here, and I must say I am a little surprised at you're response because I have asked others, including several locksmiths elsewhere, who I might add demonstrated their use, and got completely different feedback. I'm not so sure they are a waste of money from the feedback I've been getting and from my own observation as you say. But you're input is very appreciated!!!!! Interesting feedback Michael. May I ask what you're background is and how long you have been in the business?

Roger Smile

Michael
Would you by chance be going to the next escape artist convention in california? I was thinking of going myself, and I would love to see you open a padlock without a key faster than I could with a key. That would be an interesting demonstration! Not that you can't open the lock without a key, but faster than I could with a key. Here is what I propose. We both have the same kind of lock placed on a table side by side, with the key to my lock next to it on the table, and you're lock and method side by side as well. We have a 3rd party say go, at which time we both pick the locks up and proceed to open. The locks of course would be new and taken directly from their package prior to being placed on the table. I think this would be a lot of fun. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go down to my local locksmith and have a little fun, and see if they can do the same thing. Come on Michael, what do you say? Wanna have some fun on this one? I think the convention would be a blast and this would be a fun get together.

Roger Smile
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
[quote]I, and many other people, have opened these locks quicker than you could open them with a key! [end quote]

I have $1000.00 that says the key wins!!

I (guarantee) it won't be a waste of money!!

Red Von
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi, the fastest I have ever opened one particular door cylinder with lock picks (while being timed) was 1.4 seconds. I have never timed myself opening a door with a key, but I am sure it can be done faster.

Ian
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
Under the conditions proposed by Roger (Mind Freak), 2 padlocks on the table...

I stand by my offer!!

$1000.00 to anyone who can open the lock faster without a key!!

If you lose, you pay $1000.00

The key wins!!

Red Von
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
HOLY YEPPERS!!!!!
What a response! Not what I was anticipating, but you just gotta love this stuff!!!!! I'm not a locksmith, not an expert, or seasoned veteran, a newbee is more like it. But I tell you what I do have folks and that's common sense! I'm sorry, but I just don't think its possible to open the padlock faster without a key. It looks like I'm not alone on this one. That's all I am saying folks.

Roger Smile
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
Roger,

It's all good man!! Yes, It would be a lot of fun!!

Red Von
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
Mr. McCall, would your lock pick time by any chance be documented? That would be a world record would it not? Border line impossible!
Roger Smile
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Michael
Hey guys, calm down....this was not meant to be such a debate. To address a few of the issues that are present, I will start with question #1. I am a professional locksmith, owner of My-Key's Lock Shop (safe sales and service), I was a semi-pro magician and escape artist, and I have been a lock nut since childhood. I have been a locksmith for about twevle or thirteen years, but my escape artist roots go back much further. I would love to go to this years convention but it too far from my home this year. If any of our paths should ever cross, I would happily show you the mentioned lock opening trick. For all of you doubters, this trick is a by-pass method, it is not a manipulation of the tumblers. I doubted this method myself when I was first turned on to it, however, I have worked with it, used it, and used it well over the years and it is incredibly fast. This little trick only works on certin types locks but the type of lock it works on happens to be popular around here so I have had a lot of practice preforming this trick. I don't care to debate this point with any of you, I will say however, that my method will blow those over priced shim picks out of the water. I would love to preform a demo for you...once you see this for yourself, it would open up to a whole new world for you guys in the escape artist field!!! Mike
*CAUTION* Does NOT play well with others!
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Actually, Ian makes a very fine padlock that opens faster without a key. You can get one from Cannons.

Yours,

Paul
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
Hi Paul

Please read the posts again, we are not talking about trick/gimmick locks. Two store bought padlocks right out of the package, non-tampered with.

The question is not whether you can open the lock without a key, because you can.

It's the statement that I can open it faster without a key, than you can with a key.

Notice how the story has changed so far?

The key wins!!

Red Von
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Michael, do you have a video camera? The reason I ask, is because a regular here, Pastor Clyde -- a consumate pro by any measure -- is demo-ing several lock picking methods/videos on the secure (password only) part of his website. While I can't speak for Clyde in any way, something tells me he would be happy to add just such a demo to his collection.

What do you say Michael? Clyde?? Game on, or what??
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hey Michael, let me take this oportunity to first welcome you to the Café, and the escape board. Believe it or not, we do appreciate your participation and contributions. As you are fairly new here I would like to explain that in the past we have had members of this board making rather extraordinary claims. We have also had a lot of mud slinging and bad feelings and have had old members come back under new screen names from time to time, just to stir up trouble under the protection of anonymity. I think that this might be one of the reasons why some of us here are a little leary of any new members and claims that they might make. I can see that this has even gone so far as to challenging the abilities of guys that I have personally seen in action like Ian McColl. By the way, Ian is FAST!!! Very fast, and I saw him pick open the locked door of the banquet room at the first Indy convention in a matter of a few seconds. I had challenged him to do it in jest. Ian, however had the door open before I could say "Ian I was only joking!" So if he says that he opened a lock in 1.4 seconds I definitely believe him. I have no reason to doubt your claims either Michael. I know that I sometimes race the other police officers that I work with to see who can escape from handcuffs faster. They use a key and I use a shim and I do actually win a lot of the time so I don't doubt that what you say can be done. Since you have been around a while I'm sure that you have met EAs that have made false claims so I hope you can understand some of the attitude that you are getting on this board and realise that there might be a certain amount of jealousy involved as well. Please don't take offense to it. I'm sure that we would all love to learn your method if you would care to share it. I for one am looking forward to your future contributions on this board and hope that you haven't already been put off. Once again, Welcome!
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
Tony

Could you clarify you're jealousy comment? I would suggest you go back and read what the initial commenst were. I don't see where (jealousy) has any place in the comments!!!!! You are missing the whole matter, it's about my padlock question, and nothing more. Padlocks!!!!!
Roger Smile
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Roger I am not referring to you specifically and I was not attempting to offend you, but as far as we know, you have not been here very long either. There has been a lot of childish conflict on this board over the years and in my opinion jealousy is definitely a part of it. All I was attempting to do was welcome a new member and give him a heads up for some of the comments he can expect on this board. I might suggest that you head the same warning. You sometimes need a very thick skin to remain here.
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
Tony

I'm still lost as to the jealousy face that is shown anywhere on this thread?
Everyone seems pretty reasonable to me anyway.

Roger Smile
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Roger, having no idea who you are, I'm not going to get into a debate with you. My opinion is my opinion and I really don't feel that I need to justify it to anyone. Some here will agree with me and some will disagree. I accept this, and do not intend to try to convince anyone of anything. If my comment is bothering you that much, I'm sorry, but I will not be bated into any further discussion on this topic.
This will be my final comment on this matter.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Roger? the times for me picking a series of door cylinders under test condition was done in the 1990's for Brian Cook of Duo locks. you can contact him via
http://www.qilin.com.au/

Thank you for asking
Thank you also Tony for your comments.

Ian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Padlock Shim Picks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL