The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Padlock Shim Picks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
harry knight
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of harry knight
You can make a set of padlock shims using a 'coke can'. Its a lot cheaper and has the same effect. As stated above 'padlock shims' are only really good for the cheaper end of the market padlocks. However you can also open some better combination types.
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Michael
Tony, thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I will not let any of this affect my particapation in this forum...after all, there is a very small circle of people I can talk to about this stuff with and I am glad that I found this little nook. I do not worry about what people believe about my abilities. Once upon a time, one of my old coworkers at Blue Star safe and lock in Deerborn Hts. Mi didn't believe that I could immpression a key for a mortise lock...until I did it right in front of very eyes. When he watched the key turn, his eyes bugged out and I think he soiled himself. He went through the shop with the lock showing everyone like it was something special. I told him that I had did it a few other times but he didn't believe me...to me it wasn't a big deal, but after all of the woo-hah was over, he told me that I did somethig that he had never been able to do in his fifteen years of locksmithing. It was just one of those things that needs to be seen by all of the "Thomas'" of the world...I guess now is not the time to tell these guys that in March 2001 I was the first person in the world (according to their co.) to pick open the "W-LOK" high security padlock or in Aug. 2002, I picked open a 6-pin Medeco padlock...twice!!! I have pictures of both, but I think that I would have to actually pick them open right in front of these guys in order for them to believe me, so I will keep this info to myself. I know that with a life long facination with locks, cuffs, and Houdini I will never drop out of this trade-? hobby-? lifestyle-? and I will have the pleasure of meeting most of the people here. And yes, at that time I will be all too willing to back up any claims that I have made. I hope that all of the doubters bring their salt shakers though....(crow is very distasteful, so Im told) LOL. I will talk to you folks later, Mike p.s. Harry, thanks for the coke can tip!

Chance, if Pastor Clyde will come out to neck of the woods, set up a video camera, and film it....then I would be happy to preform my little trick for all to see. Mike
*CAUTION* Does NOT play well with others!
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Michael,
Hello and welcome to the Café'. Recently I had the pleasure of talking at length with an older gentleman about locks, cuffs and just escape stuff. It was after one of my shows and we sat and talked shop. At one point he showed me a padlock by-pass that will only work on one type of lock. I was floored that it was that easy. You said that the by-pass you use works on certin types of locks... I'm curios, is the certin type a Yale padlock? Older model?
I ask because I think with a lot, and I mean A LOT, of practice this type of lock could be by-passed atleast as fast as the key. In a side by side race, say best of three, the by-pass could win one maybe two, in the right hands.
We shouldn't discount who would be doing the key unlocking. The other lock and key in the hands of another EA or a locksmith would be a tough nut to crack...very nearly an impossibility. But any Joe off the street...most people will try the key the wrong way to start with, it's very common.
Well, I'm just curios, if you don't mind.

Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Michael
Ms.M, I am not sure which Yale lock you are refering to, but it sounds like this may be the same by-pass method I have been talking about. Since this discussion began, I have wanted to try my method against the proper key; since I have not given thought to how much faster my method is compared to the use of the proper key for quite some time. After all, I have not been very active in the EA community in the last eight or nine years. However, I have been busy opening a great number of locks in exchange for cold hard cash since I became a locksmith and went into business for myself, and let me tell ya sister...you are not out there to show off how fast you can open a lock when you are in the field. In fact, most people get very upset when you breach their lock in a couple of seconds. I got into the habbit of picking locks open with the plug just barely turned past the shear line and acting like I was picking it for a few minutes longer when it picked too fast. But, I went out to my shop and rounded up two of these locks and did some experimenting tonight....WOW!!! Guess what??? I unlocked the lock quicker with the pick all but one time! The one time I failed; the pick slipped. The reason my method is faster is because the key has a form-fitting profile...the pick does not. The pick can get into the lock with hardly any hang-ups. (I hope some of these snipers are ready to put their money where their mouth is!) Even setting the key in the ready position, it still hangs up before getting into the lock and before it gets in..."snap!!!" my lock is opened!!! If I can film a side by side test, and get it to someone trustworthy, I would like to have the footage shown at this years convention. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery??? Hit me back, Mike
*CAUTION* Does NOT play well with others!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Michael maybe you should teach that co worker to impression or yet even sight read a wafer lock. this also looks Impressive to a Customer and gives them a spare key. with your Business name on it.
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
Hi Michael,
Welcome aboard! Perhaps I missed an earlier post. Did you say what part of the world you live in? If you are in the northeast, I want be glad to arrange a video shoot
Rich
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Mike,

You rang? Where are you located? (You can PM me with that info if you like). I'd do what I can to meet you and film your work. I can also translate it so that it could be placed online.

Let me know how/where I can help!

Clyde
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Here is his location. Hi, My professional name is The Amazing Michael and my given name is Mike England. I am from Temperance, Mi USA.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5322 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The White Pages tell us that there are a couple of Michael England's listed in Temperance MI. Both in their mid 30's.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Padlock Shim Picks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL