The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Lota Bowl (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Does anyone have a good Christian theme or use for a lota bowl?
I just came across a jumbo one. It's good for 26 pours according to the paper.
It's usually used as a running gag but there has to be something more.
I would appreciate anyone sharing their thoughts and/or ideas on the lota bowl.

I thought of using a red colored water to represent the blood of Christ. One could continue to return to the bowl after each effect and simply state: Remember the blood of Christ was shed for you. NOt sure the red will be seen from stage. Haven't done any hands on experimenting yet.
Daniel Faith
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I use the Lota bowl to use the everlasting nature of our baptism. Martin Luther talks about clothing ourselves in our baptism daily. I talk about how there are times I only think about my baptism once... and pour out the water. But then later on in the day I find another time were I remember God claimed me in these waters... etc.

When I use it I pour the water directly into the Baptismal Fount.

John
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1793 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Check out 1 Kings 17:14. When I perform the effect I use it to illustrate the story of Elijah. It's an object lesson on faith.

This will probably raise discussion on using magic tricks to re-create the story of miracles, but I've done it this way for a long time. I just introduce it by saying it is a trick that I do to show a miracle that God did.

I'm sure there will some (many?) who will not agree with performing this way, so....fire away!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Thanks John and Terry.
Anyone else have any ideas?
Daniel Faith
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Dennis Zech uses the bowl to illustrate God giving water from the rock in the wilderness with Moses. Just speak to it and the water comes. When Moses disobeyed and struck the rock, he was judged. I thought it worked well.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
"My Cup Runneth Over"

To set this as a Bizarre Piece Smile you could do an acted, silent piece, not in "costume", one spot on you, set to SIMPLE instrumental music where you illustrate prayer and how God fills your "cup" with living water (music should illustrate the sound of water) so you may continually drink, and when it is empty, it is filled again so you may never thirst. Of course, build in drama and human frailty and faith issues. You could make this a very powerful and poignant piece. I would bet if you do this right, you could hear a pin drop.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
That's a good idea Clifford.
It reminds me of Jeff McBride rainmaker except he doesn't use a Lota Bowl.
I would love to get the rights to that for my show!
Daniel Faith
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
513 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
I saw a pastor do one year ago and he talk about blessing. Just when we think God has no more blessing for us he does that when you pour more water out.
thegospelmagicman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of thegospelmagicman
Another excellent illustration using this illusion is when God miraculously provides for the widow's need by giving her oil to sell. She borrows vessels from her neighbors and then proceeds to fill them from a jar of oil she has in her house. Elisha tells her to not borrow a few - but a lot of vessels (jars). She has her sons continue to bring them to her, and she fills each one. Finally she asks her sons for more jars, but they are all full. And... the oil stops! Read about this in II Kings 4:1-7. Just make sure your audience knows that this is not a miracle by God - but a secret that only you know. I find that when I share with an audience that it is best to state, "I have no magical powers, only a secret you do not know!" When asked, "How you do that?" I simply ask - "Can you keep a secret?" The response always seems to best "YES". I simply state, "So can I!"

John
The Gospel Magic Man
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
I used it on Good Friday one year during a Seven Words from the Cross service and my assigned word was "I thirst." I spoke on an unquenchable thirst for righteousness and its fulfillment in Christ whose thirst in Jesus was not just in the flesh but for the living waters.

I used in in the guise of water for a dry cough.

First pour, expectedly nothing.

Second pour, couple of murmurs "Ummm."

Third pour, "Whoa" the whole audience now knows something is up.

Fourth pour and on, they were with me all the way.

I still have people remind me of that message.

I have, also, used the dollar bill ring fold in community lenten service to speak about wealth versus service and care for neighbor. It, too, created a humongusly memorable impact.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2742 Posts

Profile of John Long
A thought:

Instead of appearing to be recreating Biblical miracles(which as mentioned above does seem to have some problems with it), what if you invert the use of the Lotta bowl, and let its continual flowing of water represent the unfulfilling nature of the world and what it provides. This would be in contrast to satisfying nature of a relationship with God (Is 55)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
I always use the lottabowl to illustrate the story of the woman at the well. when Jesus tells her that with the water of the spirit she shall never thirst again.
**--snap--**
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Some really good ideas!
Feel free to ring in with more ideas gentlemen (and ladies).
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Lota Bowl (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL