The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Do you use Rabbits in your Shows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi Vovin,
I think the reason that you think rabbits and doves are used less by magicians now is because of the large increase in magic hobbiests over the last decade or so.
Hobbiests and close up performers would have no use/need for a live rabbit. However, if you where to poll working performers, I think that you would be suprised at the percentages that use live animals in their acts.
Phillip
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5762 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I used a rabbit in my act, a few years ago. Here are a few thoughts.

If the rabbit starts to chew on wires, clap your hands loudly. They find the sound annoying and will associate it with chewing behavior that occurs outside the hutch.

I like the idea of using a catalog case to carry the animal in. It doesn't look like a pet carrier, but it does the job.

I used to use a suitcase table,so the rabbit could sit in the mirror box or duck pan, prior to being produced. I had a battery operated fan in there to keep the rabbit cool.

Also, when working a Blue and Gold banquet, make the kids promise not to rush the stage at the conclusion of the rabbit production! I was very protective of my rabbit. The scout masters will allow the kids to riot and kill small animals, if they think they're having fun.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
"The scout masters will allow the kids to riot and kill small animals, if they think they're having fun."

Having been an Assistant Scout Master for many years, I think the above statement is neither funny or true.

Boys will be boys, scouts are taught to take care of nature and it's animals. Fishing and eating what we catch is about all we remove from nature. We clean up nature every year, and after every camp out.

Also, having entained scouts, a professional magician knows how to control an audience. Yes, they are a tough crowd because many of them secretly desire to be a magician, hence magic is a major part of scouting fun.

Since you know they want to pet the rabbit or any animal, you must set up the ground rules the moment the rabbit appears or at the beginning of the show during the warm-up period. Many scouts have never been to a live performance and they must be taught, professionally, how to conduct themselves. That's the job of the performer. I have never hand kids run up and tough my rabbits except after the performance, and I held the rabbit and answered their many questions.
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
"If the rabbit starts to chew on wires, clap your hands loudly. They find the sound annoying and will associate it with chewing behavior that occurs outside the hutch"

Hi,
you are only frightening the rabbit by clapping and a worst case senario it could drop dead!

If you want to stop your Bunny from chewing your things you need several things.
first a water pistol if the bunny tries to chew something that thier not supposed to
just give him it a short quick squirt in the face on each offence/occasion.

the second thing you need to do is supply your bunny with toys that he can chew and play with (yes they do play)and rabbits get bored that's one reason why they chew. good rabbit toys are the tubes from inside toilet rolls or Kitchen roll (cardboard not plastic) all of my bunnies like to play with a football (soccer not US Footbal) go for the really cheap light full size footballs do not think that because you have a dwarf rabbit a childs small ball is better it is not. the bunny will just burst it (trust me)the larger balls are best they can push them around and there size prevents male bunnies from getting on them when they get a little sexually frustrated!

"I used to use a suitcase table,so the rabbit could sit in the mirror box or duck pan, prior to being produced. I had a battery operated fan in there to keep the rabbit cool. "

This is a bit of a pro and con actually rabbits are quite good at handling cold not to bad at handling heat. but Draughts are their real killer. so I would be wary of the Fan idea. a Better solution on a hot day is to place one of those refeezable plastic things that you put in cooler bags in the prop with the bunny who will lie against it if they feel the need. (cover it with a thick cloth bag to stop bunny chewing through the plastic.)

phillip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Do you use Rabbits in your Shows? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL