The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » What's this first thing you do when you walk on stage? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Quote:
On 2005-06-09 04:43, ThimblesAndPaintballs wrote:
Ya... I wanna do it really bad... and then have my spectator go on the slip n slide as well but along the way everyone is squirting them with chocolate sauce and whip cream.... how much fun would my show be if I could do what I really wanted to.... ahhh.... one day I tell ya... one day

This would be especially fun if your spectator looked like Elle McPherson!!!
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Jonace
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Jonace
I am in a military base and had a show there. The NOte sed a famous magician was coming. ANd I tought Smile what ? Smile I am not famous. SO I used this line when I came on stage:P

"Hello hello" I am her today because David Copperfield had some problem getting the chinese wall on the Hercules (Military transport plane)

I got som good reaction Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
My favourite opening line (not so much for the line, which is quite old, but for the presentation) was Paul Zenon who walked on stage, reached into his pocket, pulled out a card and said "Is that your card?" with a deadpan face.

Who has tried any of those "interactive" routines such "Untwisting Arms" (NOT the twisted arm illusion) or the old "Wave your right leg in clockwise circles and then draw an number six in the air with your right index finger"
Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Profile of Justin McWilliams
I've always wanted to walk out on stage with a wooden cage with doves in it, one of the wheels pop off and I fall on the cage crushing it and feathers fly all over.
Hey I'm a magician, i've never told a lie.....oops:o/
TCsteinberg
View Profile
New user
NewYawk
52 Posts

Profile of TCsteinberg
I agree with Bill Ligon, open up QUICKLY & STRONG. Wether it's comedy or magic, you want to open with something that is guaranteed to work(get a laugh, amaze, etc). The audience wants to know that they're in the hands of a Professional, and it makes whatever follows so much easier. Also, it should set the tone of the oncoming performance, be it elegant, goofy, etc.
Good Luck!
~ tc ::--.---( )
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Thanks, TC. It has been a while since someone agreed with me!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I use a different opening pertaining to whether I am performing for children or adults. With children I always use a verbal warm up. With adults I like to start silent with strong fast moving magic. Then go into dialog afterward.
It's good to get their attention quickly and then keep it.
Daniel Faith
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Its interesting that many people's suggestions are more general in nature...

The reason I brought up this topic is because magicians who don't use musical introductions tend to take the stage and introduce themselves very weakly. Performers like Roland are few and far between.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
The first thing I do when I walk on stage is stop walking.
Derek Rutt Creations
View Profile
Regular user
thailand
172 Posts

Profile of Derek Rutt Creations
The most important thing to do .......the very first thing ........is to make eye contact with the audience. Scan the audience very quickly and each one in the audience will think you are showing it for them. Eye contact is a must.
Hope this helps. Creation is life
www.derekrutt.com
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
The first thing I do is look at the audience and smile, compliment them is some way and get them responding to me, and as Derek said 'make eye contact". Communicate the idea that you like them and think they are interesting and special and you're glad to be there to perform for them.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I trip as I'm walking out on stage.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
roi_tau
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
335 Posts

Profile of roi_tau
The first thing I do when I walk on stage is give a little speach:

"Ladies and gentlemen,the things you are about to see tonight such as mind reading and other mental abilities are acheived only by means of psycology and illusion.
I use my 5 sences and make them seem like the 6th.

Think of it as married men.
They don't live longer
it just feel longer"

The line with the 6th sence belongs to Mr Larry Baker.

Have fun

Roi
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I show that there is nothing up my sleeve.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2005-07-13 22:16, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Its interesting that many people's suggestions are more general in nature...

The reason I brought up this topic is because magicians who don't use musical introductions tend to take the stage and introduce themselves very weakly. Performers like Roland are few and far between.

That would be because you asked the first "thing" we do. Not the first thing we say or the first gag/trick we do. Roland's introduction is superb but if he went on stage and spouted that out before taking a few seconds to make contact and let the audience evaluate him as a 'nice/funny' guy then the intro appears a lot weaker.
George
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Of course, things like making eye contact etc are a part of a good introduction. That is the sort of examples I was after.

Before that and may last post, most people said things like "I tell a joke" or "I do this trick" or I "make people laugh". But these are very general.

For example,

For an children's stage show I will walk on stage looking VERY happy and a little nervous, smile at them, walk up the front of the stage and say "hello." in a little voice. Some of the children will say hello back. I act surprised as if I was not expecting them talk! I say HELLO in bigger voice. They ALL say HELLO back even louder. I look a little surprised and say HELLOOO! in a HUGE voice. They all yell HELLO! back one hundred times louder then me. I jump in the air and run off stage before slowly creeping back on.

For adults in a pub or bar, after I am introduce I walk straight on stage make eye contact with some people and say "Good evening! It is wonderful to be here tonight and thank you very much that wonderful introduction. But I should say, my name isn't actually Tricky Nick anymore. I've done a lot of children's parties and its been brought to my attention on more then one occasion by some very rude children that my name rhymes with a part of the male anatomy. I don't need to say it...I think we all know what it is. So from now on you can call me...THE MAGNIFICANT NENIS!"

Sure its blue but for the right crowd it kills!
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
When I walk onto the stage, I smile and scan the audience. It's great to be in Toronto this evening. This is a great looking audience. I'd like everyone to turn to the person on your right and say, "It's a pleasure to meet you!" and then turn to the person on your left and say, " I wish I could say the same for you!" All kidding aside,it's......etc.
Darryl the Wizard
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've done the same thing asking them to turn to the person next to you and say "I love you" and then to the other person "I think we should se other people"
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
When I walk out on stage I introduce myself and my assistant. I explain to the children that magic is a tricky business and the magic might not always work.
I tell them a few rules... if they want called on stage to be a helper they must sit quietly in their seat and raise their hand appropriately. My wifes cell phone rings and she searches the audience for our first helper. I let the helper know it's extremely important to follow the magicians directions to make the magic work. I dress the children in silly costumes and they hold the wand and make the magic happen. Most tricks require one to two children as helpers and there is fun in the banter between us. I ask for a volunteer that wants to do a dangerous trick. I make it sound real scary. I roll up an empty newspaper and have the child hold it over their head. I pour in a half gallon of milk. then I get out the screaming rubber chicken. I use it as a magic wand. I have another youth hold the chicken wand saying magic words (that they make up) and they tell the chicken wand to suck the milk out of the paper. The chickem screams along with all the kids. This part gets lots of laughs. At the end it works and 2 happy kids got to help.
interstate_dj
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of interstate_dj
Here is my intro:

"Hello, I would like to tell you a little bit about myself. I was born at a very early age, in a hospital, so that I could be close to my mommy. At that time I was about the size of a small baby. I was raised with three brothers and two sisters...that's how I learned to dance...waiting in line for the bathroom. I used to have to walk to school ten miles each way, sometimes in the rain, or sometimes in the snow...I felt pretty stupid when I found out that I could have ridden the school bus."

"My Mom was in the Iron industry and my Dad was in the Steel industry...My Mom used to iron and my Dad used to Steal! Enough about me, lets get started."

Always gets a good laugh.
Jerry Pierce
Owner/Entertainer
Magic Message
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » What's this first thing you do when you walk on stage? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL