We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » "Mrs.Escape" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
"The true secret behind his success"

Those words came right from Steve Baker's website.
Well Mr.Escape, you are dead wrong. It's no secret, your wife Julie was there at your side for all the world to see !

There is an old saying that "behind a successful man is a woman" in Baker's case, nothing can be closer to the truth.

Julie, or as I like to refer to her as..."Mrs.Escape" was Steve's lead female assistant for almost as long as there has been a "Mr.Escape". Steve told me himself, that due to Julie being there, watching, pacing while Steve did his thing, sweating, crying and worrying...she was the person who brought the audience to their feet with her showmanship. Steve will be the first to tell you that.

Houdini had Bessie, Baker has Julie. As one can see from the Mr.Escape/Dick Clark DVD, there is Julie,with different hair styles, different clothing styles as the years progressed, but always the same tiny little woman with the worried expression that would break into a million dollar smile when Steve overcame his fetters .

You know how they say that everyone has a soulmate ? Well Steve has a soulmate, stage manager, personal manager, lead female assistant and best friend all rolled into one with his wife Julie Baker..."Mrs.Escape"

~Rick~
"A man is only as young as the woman he feels"

-Groucho Marx-
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I envy Steve for that. To see him and his wife together with the obvious love and love of the professions.

My wife and I love each other very much, but I will probably never get her on stage, not even as a shill from the audience. I wish I could. My current thoughts on this now lead to my daughter. AShe is only 5, but she says she loves magic. Of course all 5 year olds love what Mommy and Daddy love so we will see. I have a friend who had both his wife and his daughter in his illusion show. It was truely beautiful

God Bless to you and your family Steve, you truely have a gift.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5344 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Steve’s testimonial to his wife and performing partner speaks to the class act the man is.

A great Escape act probably more than any other form of performing depends on a strong, knowledgeable, personable, and almost invisible assistant. It is the rare escape performer that publicly acknowledges his/her invaluable assistant.

Steve’s wife has kept him out of trouble (and alive) more times and in more ways than either he or she want to remember!

Kudos to Mr. Escape for his tribute and to Mrs. Escape for her years of dedication and hard work!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Being one who has the opportunity to speak often with Steve, I can attest to the fact that he is very quick to acknowledge Julie contributions not just to his show but to his life as well.

In fact, every time Steve has talked of Julie it has always been in the most praise worthy way. I've never heard a negative word said about her by Steve.

I guess Julie is the one thing in Steve's life he didn't escape from, nor would he ever want to. He's a lucky guy.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Please take this the way it is meant, but when I read about soulmates like that, I just get so jealous/envious that I don't have someone like that. For those of you who are lucky enough to find your soulmate, be very thankful for what you have...and don't ever let it go.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
So that's Steve's secret! So all that time I spent learning to pick locks and learning to dislocate my shoulder should have been spent looking for my soulmate.

Once again;
Too Soon Old,
Too Late Smart

Rich
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Maragarette wrote:
"For those of you who are lucky enough to find your soulmate, be very thankful for what you have...and don't ever let it go."

You don't have to tell me twice. My Andrea is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I have got a "Pat" if anyone wants one!
(Don`t tell her) Please.
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Michael
My wife helped me out and was my acting assistant back when I first started to do magic shows. That all pretty much came to a stop when I started doing all of my crazy stunts. She assisted me with "The Chair of Death" escape the second and third time I did it, but the first time I did the river escape, she wouldn't even come out to see it, let alone be a part of it....it just freaked her out too much. I had to have one of my people call her the second I came up out of the water. Oh well, if she were risking her neck to entertain masses of people, most of whom she has never met, then I might freak out a little bit too. True love is not wanting to see your mate chained up, weighted down, and dropped in 14 feet of water!
*CAUTION* Does NOT play well with others!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
When I told Andrea my two garrotte ideas (one involving a Catalonian Garotte; the type where a spike grinds into the spinal column when tightened), she told me to go for it, and offered to help any way she could. And no, I don't have any more life insurance than that needed to put me away.Smile

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Theres a lot more to escapes than I thought, darn

hehehehehe

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Hmmmm, Touchy subject!!!

I will rather just stay away from this thread.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Marriage, that's why, lol @ wolfy!

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
TheHandcuffKing
View Profile
New user
Around About Here
19 Posts

Profile of TheHandcuffKing
Lets stay on topic please, this is about Julie and Steve Baker, not our own lack of female companionship...LOL!

HK
"If it can be locked onto my wrists, I will open it"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5344 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I recently had an opportunity to discover just what a classy lady Mrs. Baker is! I don’t know if anyone who is a member of the Café and posts on this section knows that Mr. Baker has been viscously attacked on other forums. On one forum a person actually used Mrs. Baker as his sign in name. He poster/poser made all kinds of outrageous, inapporapriate (all untrue) comments about Mr. Baker, his accomplishments, and lifestyle. To put it mildly the posts were unkind!

Interestingly (to me at least), during one of my phone conservations with Mr. Baker (he follows up closely on the use of his Belt to make sure that I am totally satisfied with it and it is being exploited/used to its fullest extent), I commented on the attacks made against him. I asked how they made him and his wife feel.

He was pretty clear about his frustration at the pettiness of some of the newcomers or want-to-be’s” in our little field. He shared with me that his wife felt attacked and that she had written a response to the cowardly anonymous attackers. He said that she wanted to post the response but then decided to not lower herself to the level of the people who hide behind screen names.

Mr. Baker sent me a copy of the response. Let me say that Mrs. Baker has a real sense of history of this art form. Further she has been there and done that in terms of paying her dues as a hard working assistant to the artist. She probably knows more about the art and more “how to” than many of the people who are into escapes today!

Her letter/post reminded the reader that there was a period of dark ages for the escape community. That was a period where escapes were part of magic shows, or low status variety performers (I was one of those!). She pointed out that it was her husband that kept escapes alive and in the national eye. She reminded the reader that it was her husband that redefined the art and made it interesting again.

She chastised the ones who say that “everyone is ‘the Greatest’” by reminding the reader that it is not really so. History shows that there is only one “Greatest”.

Her letter/post was pure class. She expresses her frustration at those whose main purpose in life is to tear down rather than build up. She expressed her anger at those who would besmirch or sully her and her husband’s reputation and lifetime accomplishments. She managed this never using a harsh word. Still she made her point. She made her point like the lady she is!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » "Mrs.Escape" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL