The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Acrobatic Diving Board Double (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Erik J
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of Erik J
DBD is a wonderful flourish/doublelift
It is well worth the 12 bucks, even though I would have enjoyed it more if I could get it on paper, as I don't have a printer,lol, oh well.

Quote:
On 2005-06-02 05:22, Jonathan Rice wrote:
It's a good move, but everyone please read Lee's terms on the first page of the PDF...NO internet videos without his permission.

KC's vids were done 2-3 years ago I believe, so he couldn't know he needs to get permission for it. But, KC does the move very nice, so it shouldn't be a problem )
This signature is approved by Erik.
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
Quote:
On 2005-06-02 16:47, Chris Keppel wrote:
Plus my baby is due on August 15.

Hey, Congratulations!! I didn't know. Well the site and the car look real nice, We'll be waiting for the DVD.

Back to the DBD... Saw one of KC's Video's (Thank you for the link, J) ... I have to say it's definitely the coolest Double I've seen. Personally I might get it, but I'll hold out for a few other things first. It would be real cool if he put it on a dvd w/ other stuff. But DeFlare, if I ever buy my copy of the pdf I'll mail you a color copy, trusting you bought the pdf too.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Buy it and love it. I had to learn it the hard way! Just watching Lee and experimenting after he gave me a few explainations about 6 years ago. Those notes would have saved me some patches of hair that I pulled out....................It's one of those things that everyone loves, but not everyone can do. So you feel like a pimp when you do it.

Go brush your shoulder off.
Erik J
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of Erik J
Thanks 4Jacks, yes, I hate reading ebooks, but in most cases nowaday, there only are ebooks, and that's bad =/
This signature is approved by Erik.
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
It took me quite a few hours of non stop practice to get it down, but even now its still difficult to control which side it lands on.
JeremiahZuo
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of JeremiahZuo
"12 bucks seems high for one trick......"

What the hell has happened to magic. First of all, I can buy a single gimmicked deck of cards for 900 bucks. And your average packet trick is 12-20 bucks....so no this doesn't seem high to me.

Also I would rather magic prices go UP! We deal in an art of secrecy. I can't tell you how many times someone comes into the magic shop I work at, checks out a dvd, goes "30 bucks! Forget that". Good! I don't want a cheap fool with no dedication to learn it. I wish all dvd's were 60 minimum.

Ah but alas it's just a pipe dream for me.

All aside the Asher Pdf is awesome. I too was one caught up to the wee hours playing with this great booklet(which by the way I believe should cost 80$, no joke, and I would buy it still).
Joshua 24:15
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
JZ... you just quoted me, then went on comparing me to a "Cheap Fool with no Dedication"....

*sigh*

First off let me just point out that you completely proved my point... I said $12 seems high for ONE trick.

You Said a DVD of Tricks cost around $30... say the typical DVD contains 10 tricks... Yup you guessed it, $3 a trick.

That was the extext of my post. $12 is much higher than $3... It's a math problem, you don't have to get your shorts in a bunch.

As far as your comparision to a $900 deck of cards and your pipe dream of this trick costing $80... Well it honestly just seems like your bragging about how rich you are and how dedicated to Magic you are. And if that makes you soo much superior than me... then hey what ever floats your boat there buddy, I'm not going argue... You're superior and your gimmick deck is oh so cool.

If I'm mistaken and you're not trying to brag, then I'm sorry for seeming harsh, however your Veiw of raising the cost of Magic still excludes me, so it's still a little offensive. I enjoy magic as a "HOBBY" meaning I shouldn't have to spend my life savings to learn new stuff. . . . Of course this makes no sense because I spend my life savings on my car, which I consider a "HOBBY"... but the point is Cards are my Cheap Hobby and Cars are my Expensive Hobby =P
JeremiahZuo
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of JeremiahZuo
I was in no way trying to be arrogant.

Point 1 : I am far from rich.......very very far. I live in the poor outskirts of Chicago if that's any indication. My father worked his way up from literally the streets, no house in China to a home in America, I in no way will brag about money.
Understand that I was saying a 900$ deck of cards exists when I said "I could buy a 900$ deck of cards", I can in NO WAY afford it. And even if I did have the money I NEVER would, that's just ridiculus.

Point 2 : I'm not saying that I myself am any more dedicated than anyone else (although yes I would say that as I don't do magic merely as a hobby which I didn't know you only did, I am probably more dedicated than you just because I hold more stock in it), what I was saying was I believe magic should require more dedication. Nowadays anyone can buy a cheap trick and call themselves a magician.

NONE of my comments were directed at you but at the magic community. I just used your quote because it works for my point. You see?

I am sorry if you were offended, as I can understand being excluded can make you feel that way. But understand that I believe magic should be a very exclusive club that's it's becoming less and less of. I don't mean to exclude all hobbists, but I do want magic more exclusive than it is now.
Joshua 24:15
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
Yes, I see... sorry for jumping on you...

People quoting me, gets me all jittery...

Even though I love quoting other people... *double standard I guess*

I think many other magicians share you feelings, I can respect that, I'm the polar opposite though. I remember having the HARDEST time find real magic material when I was young... I got so many magic books from the library that we're complete and utter garbage... If I didn't eventually find Harry Lorayne's "the magic book" I would of gave up a long time ago. I think Magic should be easily attainable for those who make the effort to look for it.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
The POINT is that the DBD is super duper neato. Also, it is not a trick, it is a utility move, which has many more uses than just 1. So we should be saying "12 bucks is too high for a utility move" although 1) It's not in this particular case because it's such a great move and 2) It's actually 2 moves....

Quote:
On 2005-06-23 12:38, 4Jacks wrote:
People quoting me, gets me all jittery...

I couldn't help but quote you just now....hehe.
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 21:41, Jordini wrote:
I couldn't help but quote you just now....hehe.

OH YEAH !

Well the DBD is $13 and not $12 .... so =þ

I don't know why I feel this urgent need to correct everyone
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
It's still worth $13.
Kerwin
View Profile
New user
K
10 Posts

Profile of Kerwin
Great thread!

I love the Diving Board Double. But then again, I am biased.

A couple of points:

1. The DBD ebooklet is 50 pages of great material. In the world of Internet marketing, I pay between $30 and $70 for 50 pages of marketing secrets -- not always worth the money. In this case, $12.95 for two moves that you'll use for the rest of your life is cheap.

Note: Lee teaches you the basic DBD, the acrobatic version, a couple of impressive practice manipulations, behind the back tossing, and even his cherished deck vanish. You also get some great double lift trivia, so you can impress the local magic shop groupies with your extensive knowledge.

2. This is the kind of double you use to beat down other magicians. You don't want such choice techniques in the hands of every magic wannabe.

3. To that extent, I understand Lee's requirement about not plastering it all over the Net for all to copy at will. Use it. Perform it. Fool with it. But don't put out a cheap clip that exposes such gems.

4. As long as we respect the creators, and allow them to make their meager amount for intellectual property, the creators will ... continue to create. It will only take a few disrectful types to spoil it for all. We need to care for and feed our magic geniuses, wouldn't you agree?

One last note: I don't know if you have noticed, but Lee Asher always puts out quality magic. "We" worked very hard on making the combination of easy-to-ready copy and detailed, colored photos flow, as if you were watching a video. In fact, owners of the ebooklet get to see clips of the Diving Board Double in Lee's hands.

Kip Pascal

PS For those wishing Lee had made this a video -- don't worry. I see more Lee Asher DVDs on the horizon. Personally, I am happy Lee continues to respect and produce in writing.
"In the republic of mediocrity, genius is dangerous."
--Robert Ingersoll
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
Kerwin,

Welcome to the Boards, Great post... I think I will eventually get this.

50 pages huh??? gesh... I promised Deflare a full color copy when I buy it... I didn't think It would take nine hours to print out =þ
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi
Iwonder if somebody could break the contents down a bit as regards
ease of use
Is it all very hard to do or just parts of it?
Which parts are hard, which are easy, if any?
Cheers
TJ
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
It's knacky and requires a certain about of finger/memory training. (Also a light touch). It's hard at first, but after about 8-15 hours of just doing it over and over and over again it's totally easy.
studentoflife
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
310 Posts

Profile of studentoflife
Just curious, how many hours of practice does it take to achieve a acrobatic DBD 100%? Smile
- Y
<BR>"Nothing is difficult...it's all about what you want, and how bad you want it."
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-jayF6ufAQ

:22 seconds in is a nice ADBD w/ a color change.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I love the move but certainly can't get it to land in a predictable fashion enough of the time. I have found places to use it where the focus is on the flourish that way if it lands wrong side up I just shrug my shoulders and follow with a regular double. This way I get to have fun with it in fron of spectators but don't feel the pressure to hit it every time.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2005-06-01 12:40, 4Jacks wrote:
It's purely a sleight right?? No sticky stuff on the cards?

I have found that the best way to do this and get it 100% is to add a small piece of double sided tape to the top card of the deck. Perform the tilt move, insert their card into the "middle" of the deck. Turn over the top card to show it's not on top, then flip the deck over to show it's not on the bottom. While you're showing the bottom press the middle of the deck to stick the cards together. Perform the Acrobatic Diving Board Double and the cards will not split apart at any point.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Acrobatic Diving Board Double (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL