The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Modified Tesla coil (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stephen Thompson
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
Hi

I hope someone can help me.

I am looking for a small device that will electically charge me. I want to be able to give a mild electrical shock to anyone I touch.

Many thanks

Steve
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Steve,

It is possible to do that effect. But here is a majo drawback called Pacemaker, you can kill someone.

G0THIKE
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
You would also need to stand on a rubber mat so you didn't discharge yourself.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
First of all, want to clear up the rubber mat misinformation that's 'common knowledge.' For example, when lighting strikes a car, you are protected NOT by the rubber tires, but the METAL frame of the car. The electrical current flows around the frame of the car and into the ground (actually it TECHNICALLY goes from the ground INTO the sky and back SEVERAL times a second for every 'single' lightning strike, but that's another misconception about electrical discharges). That quarter inch of rubber tires doesn't do a darn thing. Think about it. How many people that have been struck by lightning have been wearing rubber souled sneakers. Anyway, that is all off topic.

I've used Tesla coils to illuminate fluorescent lights. I don't remember being able to 'shock' anyone with the low powered one I used. I know I DID play with a higher powered Tesla coil in college (back in my Aerospace Engineering days). We formed a chain of twenty people, the first person held onto the coil (plugged into the wall). The last person touched one more person not attached to the chain and EVERYONE felt the shock. It was fun. Hee. There was a battery powered Tesla coil sold a few years ago by Guy Bavli. I played with it. It worked. I did modify it a little to make it work "better."

As Gothike points out though, you've got to be careful. I've never heard of anyone dying from one. But it IS VERY possible since you are dealing with extremely high voltages in a Tesla coil. Plus, in today's legal trigger-happy world of lawsuits, you might want to think twice about it.

Scott
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I concur with Scott. Tesla coils are not toys to play with, they can kill you.
You'd be much better off with a Van der Graaf generator.
http://www.amasci.com/emotor/vdg.html

It always struck me as funny, some of the things purported to "stop" lightning - a million volt electrical arc that spans a mile - your typical lightning bolt. A few inched of rubber ain't gonna do diddly-squat.

However, I have to question the notion of lightning as an AC current - it's believed to be caused by huge negative charges in the clouds, (excess of electrons) which discharges into the relatively positively charged earth. That's essentially a DC current. You can also determine the true source and destination by the fact that the bolt's "trunk" is in high in the clouds, and it forks out or dissipates below.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I made "Snow Angels" while laying on a trampoline. Anyone that walked up to the trampoline when I was "charged" was in big trouble. Sometimes I could make it arc from my fingertip to their nose at nearly a 1/2 inch. I didn't need to touch anyone, just get near them while they stood on the ground. If I touched the ground, I would discharge. However, If I brought my front door mat out near the trampoline, I could stand on it and keep my "charge". My front door mat had a rubber backing. I'm certain if I was struck by lightning, that mat would do nothing for me. However, it did work for my backyard shocking sessions. I don't understand why it wouldn't work
keeping my "charged" body from reaching a path to ground. I've worked in electronics for years and rubber mats and wrist straps are essential to keep the static in my body from destroying parts.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Some shops that specialize in high end S & M gear may be able to help. Just do a web search for those stores and describe to them what effect you'd like to achieve.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Modified Tesla coil (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL