The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » I'm out of the escape business... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Bet that title got everyone's attention! But, in a sense, it's true. I can't do any escapes for a while. The airline has lost my luggage that contained a lot of my escape equipment! Smile

Of course, can you imagine the look on the lady's face as I was giving her a list of what was in the suitcase that would distinguish it as mine?.....straitjacket, red leather shorts, 4 1/2 inch heeled leather shoes, etc. Her comment to me was that "if we find your bag, we can pretty much tell it will be yours." I wonder what she was telling the people she worked with about the contents of my bag.

The only consolation I have is that I didn't pack the Buffalo dollar coins my dad gave me in that suitcase.

But, it appears as though I am out of the escape business until I either get this stuff back, or get it replaced. Smile

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
That is sad Margarette. Hopefully all will be found and returned very quickly.

The situation reminds me of the movie Meet the Parents when Ben Stiller lost his suitcase and when they "returned" it the suitcase was the wrong one, the one he got had whips and leather bondage stuff and the
"to be Father-in-law" opened the suitcase and there was all this equipment.

Sorry for your problem, I'm glad you are not leaving the world of escapes as I thought from the title.

Praying for a speedy return of your escapology equipment.

X

P.S. Have you heard from Joe Marotta? I've emailed him but have not gotten a response.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Yes, I heard from Joe the other day. He's been quite busy with a new job and a new grandson.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Oh, so glad he has a job! Thanks for the update! I told him the kid would wear him out. Smile

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
Margarette,
The same thing happened to me last year when I flew to KS to visit my family. The airline had lost my luggage and one of my suitcases contained my straitjacket, 5 sets of cuffs, and padlocks along with some other props. The ladies in the luggage department had a good laugh. I got stuck at the airport because of thunderstorms and luggage eventually showed up 8 hours later.
*s*
So I did my straitjacket escape for a small crowd when I got it.
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
What a shame it would be, to lose one who seems to be reguarded as the best of the best. Every post in reference to yourself seem to be nothing but the highest praise. I hope one day to have that kind of reputation! Well, enough sucking up for me... I'm gonna go find someone to chain me up Smile

~Spiff
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2002-10-15 02:14, SethHoward wrote:
Margarette,
The same thing happened to me

Seth-
You lost a pair of red leather shorts with matching 4-inch heels? Sounds like an act I'D like to escape from! Smile
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Dear Margarette,
So sorry to hear about your, (I hope) temporary loss. I know how having one's gear "disappear" can be both bothersome and agonizing as well. Last year, a new escape I was building was being stored in a friend's house and the place burned down, totally destroying the prop. I hope your situation is no where near as traumatic, you get your items back and are on your feet very soon! Regards, Steve Santini
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope it turns up soon.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Margarette

Hope it turns up soon! I have lost a few beloved props in my time and it can be a pretty wrenching experience. They, as you know, are more than just objects.

Good luck getting them back

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
Scott....
umm...yeah...*lol*
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Margarette,

I hope all of your equipment is found and returned to you...if not maybe we could pass the hat and get you back in your restraints a bit quicker.
Tony Chapparo
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Well, day five, and no luggage found, yet! Smile

Airline people: "we will send you claim forms. They should get to you in 7-10 days. Fill them out, send them in, and they should have your claim processed in 6-8 WEEKS."

Me: "So, what am I supposed to do in the meantime. I've had to cancel two shows, and have had to turn down three more because I don't have the stuff that is in that suitcase to do these shows."

Airline: "Sorry, all I can do is just send messages. If you do need to buy anything, just keep the receipt and turn it in with your claim."

<<<the sound you now hear is me banging my head on my desk>>> I don't have the extra funds available to replace a straitjacket, handcuffs, lock picks, shims, and all sorts of other escape materials, not to mention the outfits I use with the escapes and the magic! So, it appears as though I might be out of the business a little bit longer than anticipated! <<insert colorful metaphors here>>

Margarette
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I'm very sorry to hear about your lost
'things'.

Just a thought. When you fill out the claim forms put down any and all fees you lost by having to cancel some shows. It is a real damage caused because the airline did not perform their duty to deliver your luggage to the same destination and at the same time as they delivered you.

Will they pay? Maybe not at first but you could surely go to small claims court and sue them (or threaten to sue them) for the damages. I don't know what the rules are in Arkansas but in Texas it only costs about $50.00 to file and if you win they have to pay that fee as well. No lawyers needed. It will probably be to their financial advantage to settle with you rather than go through the expense of showing up in small claims court to dispute the claim.

Another thing. Talk to supervisors, not the folks who answers the phone. Keep going up the line. Eventually you will find someone that does not want their boss to know they fouled up!

I'm not a lawyer so just take this as friendly advice.

Good luck. Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

I'd have to agree with the one right above me. They're real damages and they are most likely legally bonded to pay damages. What's the worst that could happen? You only get reimbursed for what you lost? That's what you get anyway if you didn't make a case for the other stuff.

~Spiff

P.S. Also I might talk to Cannon's great escapes and see if they'd be willing to sponser you. Sounds like you know them well, and most big companies sponser the top pros in the field they make equipment for. Maybe have their logo put on some of your gear? Or just promise to give them a thank you after every show? I know a bunch of people who are sponsered by different companies and name brands. None in EA but in rock climbing and some other bizare hobbies. Just a thought. While I'm thinking about it, anyone ever hear of a sponsered magicina/EA? Does Copperfield get free effects from top dealers?

Sorry the P.S. was longer then the post Smile
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Usually NOT by a magic company but most corporate magicians are sponsored by the company they are promoting. There is a magi who works for Pepsi Co. Also I used to get sponsors if there were a lot of expenses involved in pulling off an escape.

My top sponsor used to be Harley Davidson, I escaped from a leather strait jacket with the Harley logo on it. Often at H.O.G. rallies. Really nice people! Bikers transcend their stereotype.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Margarette, Can I help out with anything you may need to keep you doing your shows?

I don't know what your time frame is but would you like to borrow anything I may have to see you through this time? If you can still keep the shows without canceling due to the lost property it may help.

The new age is to pull together and help out.
Let me know.

Ian

Dear Margarette, keep an eye on your mailbox, a little help is on its way to you.

Ian
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Ian,
You and Joseph must be alike! You get some sort of pleasure out of making me cry, don't you?? All I can say is thanks!

Margarette
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Margarette, Mark, Sheila and I wouldn't like to see you missing out on escapes during this bad time. I hope they fit.

on behalf of us,
all the best Smile
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Ian, Mark and Shiela, you guys are the coolest. I'm touched to see you guys help out a fellow performer like that! Not to mention how awesome you guys were in helping me get started!

~Spiff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » I'm out of the escape business... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL