The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » I'm out of the escape business... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Wow! What a gesture. I wish someone had done that for me when both my showcases were stolen from my car a few months back. Insurance only covered about a third of the cost.

But Margarette, this is exactly why I carry on as much as possible. Thankfully my entire stage show fits in two carry-ons. It never leaves my sight. Of course I go through excrutiating security checks, but it is worth it to keep a hold on my stuff.

I do put a few items in checked luggage—cig lighters, and stilletto knife—but they can be replaced quickly and cheaply.

Hope the problem is solved soon!
-BDC
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Well, unfortunately, handcuffs, lock picks, shims, and such aren't allowed in carry on stuff, which is the reason it was checked. I didn't ask to see if I could carry on a straitjacket, but I figured the answer would be no. I did carry on some magic items, and got unusual looks from security with the container my Buffalo Dollar coins were in!

<<<clearing her throat in an attempt to do a Yankee accent>>>

Ian, Mark, and Sheila ... youse guyz is da best!!!

(I posted another thank you to certain anonymous angels!!)
Smile

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Lloyd McDonald
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lloyd McDonald
If all else fails try the insanity defense ... it's bound to win you a straight jacket at least!

Good luck to you!

Mac
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
*can only wish you luck*
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
What ever happened to Margarette?

I miss the old days.

Her, David SJ, Pastor Clyde et al..... Good times Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Red leather pants ..... Did they ever turn up? I wants there but the story is a great one!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
There is and a photo of someone here wearing them.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Was tat before they "went missing" or did he/she steal them? (I think I know who the photo is of ....... Madame Margarette told me the story ..... Some people got a lot of b... Dangly bits (but not too much to fit the shorts). Smile
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Ros
You're so right! I wasn't around in those days, but when reading through old posts - it is clear that I missed a great time to be an EA.
This thread also shows the true colors of folk who have recently been slandered by a couple of trolls, and makes their pollution of this forum even more pathetic.
For those that respected the art and it's professionals, there was support, camaraderie and assistance when in need.
I believe these things still exist, but everything is kept under much tighter wraps to protect against misuse, theft and exposure by those that just don't care. It's just tougher to break into these days, but it's probably a necessary evolution.

I recently traveled for a show with a few of my highly prized items, and I was nervously thinking how I would handle this very situation. I think it's a great exercise to sit down one day and script/plan a show using just the items which can be bought upon arrival, after discovering all your regular equipment is missing.
It won't be the same show you wanted to give, but if we are true PERFORMERS - it could be just as entertaining...right!?!?!
Max Maven put out a DVD set about doing an entire mentalism show using nothing but items purchased at a typical convenience store on the day of the show - it is entitled "Nothing"
Now, of course mentalism is not quite the same thing, but the concept applies. I for one will be working on developing my "Nothing" project. I think it will make me a better EA, a better performer and a better entertainer. I hope I never have to use it "in anger", but I also hope I might get some ideas that will become a part of a regular show too.

Thanks for refreshing this thread - it's a good read. I miss Margarette AND Mr X-treem.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
The place was really hopping when Rick Silmser was with us. He was something else.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Granger
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Granger
Hi Margarette!

Hope you found your luggage very soon! I have lost one card from the precious deck of cards, although its nothing like your scenario, I understand that kind of disappointment and sadness. Hang in there, we will pray for you!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Hi Granger (and welcome and care to share your name?)

if her luggage hasnt turned up then there is no soon.... it was posted on Oct 14, 2002! I am not even sure Mararette is still around on the Café.

SOrely missed. I have some footage of her performing at the Cannons Convention some years ago. I quite enjoyed her performance. But that had nothing on the Red Shorts joke played on her! Smile
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Ah, Rick Silmser. What a character.

We never met in person, but he rocked these boards like no other.

I miss him.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Me thinks I feel a search coming on......
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
I miss Rick...he was very kind to me.

Ms. M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » I'm out of the escape business... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL