The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » West End - a new video by Karen and Jessica (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
kxxcheng
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of kxxcheng
This is our second and also last video. We'll be going off to college and on our separate ways. Not to mention, planning, filming, and editing a video is a lot more work than I expected. Props to anyone who's released a decent video.

The credits in the end may be hard to read, they are
Dan/Dave
Tudor
Kenner
Bone
Steve Mills

Oh, and don't watch it without sound. Enjoy Smile

http://hoverfrog.com/WestEnd.wmv
^thanks to richard for hosting
Karen
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
Good stuff.

The only negative thing I have to say is that the cuts can be faster. They were very smooth, but I think the speed needs to be worked on.
Your fans were pretty good, and the spring was awesome, but I found the juggling to be the most impressive part of the vid.

And finally, a video that's got good music and is actually a "mini-film". And it doesn't have that goofy techno/rap, which I think is unfitting to magic.

Dave

Oh, and have fun in college. I start the whole application process in a few months. Stupid junior year.
yahu
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
116 Posts

Profile of yahu
I quote directly from my post at D&D:

"That was, hands down, the best video that has ever come out of the D&D forums. It had depth, it had texture, it was well done, interesting intruiging, and the manipulation was good too. I guess I'll get my critisims out of the way first. Number one, a better camera would be great, then again, who doesn't need a better camera? I know I do. Next, you should have worn different color shirts. I had to distinguish who was who based on skin tone and limb thickness for many clips, which is kind of annoying, so different outfits would have been nice. Third, Jessica, you need to work on that giant fan, it's not very even. Now for the good stuff. Where should I start? First of all, great pacing, great song choice, great creativity. I just love the way the whole video flows at a nice pace, so it's not boring you, but not rushing you either. Second, I love the way you girls do sybil cuts. It's much better than anyone else here. Most of the people in this forum go so fast that I can't tell one variation from another, but this was very different. I could actually see what you were doing, and was able to enjoy it. Next, the juggling was great, I don't want to go into each clip, but I pretty much love all of them. I'll point out a few juggling clips that I really loved, first, Karen's scence with the book spinning and juggling at the same time. That was terrific. Also, Jessica's clip at the end juggling that big ball, the little ball, and the playing card. That too was phenomenal. Finally, I loved the ducks, and I loved the fact that I finally got credited in somebody's video, especially that I got to come right after De'vo and Jerry. That makes me feel good inside. I know you have to leave, but I will miss you, and this forum will be much worse off without the two of you."
I am away and will be so until late July. I will have a chance to read the forums, but I will be pressed for time, and unable to read every thread. If you feel a thread requires my attention, please PM me with a link. Thanks, and have a great summer. :
DeadPeopleAllOver
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
36 Posts

Profile of DeadPeopleAllOver
Wow! What a fantastic video. Great moves, awesome editing, and some really nice juggling. Looks like a crapload of effort was put into it. Everyone should be making vids like these.

Also, this is the first time I've seen someone post a video here where yahu actually had something nice to say about it. That should tell you how good this video really was.
rkzad
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
138 Posts

Profile of rkzad
Great video, girls. A nice breath of fresh air from the regular videos we see: mini film, nice angles, a real person manning the camera, not inside a room/house and two girls doing it all. Also obviously well planned. Hopefully others will take a hint from your video.

I hope that when you guys go on to your different colleges you won't stop working at this stuff.

PS rock on, first special thanks Smile
- richard
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I agree, nice video gals. Liked it all around. Not often you see wemon busting out 5-6-7 way cuts.

Liked it alot. Keep it up.

Kepp
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
Antz
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Antz
Quote:
On 2005-06-01 23:17, rkzad wrote:
... not inside a room/house and two girls doing it all.

errrr..

anyway it was great to see something different.

I'm a sucker for ambigrams. Padiddle with the book was fun to see ~ esp the one with the ball on top. I like the one handed fan who ever did it.

Good luck for the future.
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
I really liked the video. I "felt it" if ya know what I mean. It's good to see a video where someones not just sittin down playing with cards, you never see anything but their hands. You've just inspired me to do something similar Smile

And I liked the little blooper at the end with the spring. Nice to see not everyone is perfect Smile Still better than me, though.
The Presitidigitationist
360degree
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of 360degree
Nice.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Antz, grow up if possible.

K&J, Awesome video.
What needs to be said is already said on D&D.

I'll write Keep up the great work even though you wont,
as this is the last vid Smile

Ah well. Smile
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Awsome job girls! Thanks for sharing your video.
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
Quote:
On 2005-06-01 22:08, yahu wrote:
I know you have to leave, but I will miss you, and this forum will be much worse off without the two of you."

What they Don't have internet at the College you guys are going to, or will you two be too boozed up to bother with the likes of us.. ??

I'm just kidding, I know college is a real pain in the rear, I think I'm in my 8th or 9th year or some junk, but please log in every now and then. Have fun in college, hope you two do well.

I'll have to DL the video tommorow if I can.... I am finially getting high speed internet at home, so I won't be 3 days behind everyone else on the videos. But I'm sure it'll live up to all these rave reviews.
yahu
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
116 Posts

Profile of yahu
Well, I wish they were going to stay, but that's not the impression I got from them.
I am away and will be so until late July. I will have a chance to read the forums, but I will be pressed for time, and unable to read every thread. If you feel a thread requires my attention, please PM me with a link. Thanks, and have a great summer. :
kxxcheng
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of kxxcheng
Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

That was just our last video; we're not disappearing from the internet. Except for Jessica, she won't have net access for six weeks Smile
Karen
Driver
View Profile
New user
I have posted
88 Posts

Profile of Driver
I LOVE the juggling!
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
Okay… I finally watched the Video…. I thought overall it was definitely one of the best one’s I’ve seen. I think it was the whole concept and direction of making a film rather than a video that really takes this video so far. You two are light years ahead as far as producing quality videos. Maybe It’s not something everyone here and on dnd think of because everyone is so hard core into Cards, but K and J are making a movie that ANYONE can watch. My wife can watch their film and take something away from it. Whereas when I force her to watch any of the other more technical card videos, she’s not in the least bit interested. I’m personally into cards, but it was nice to see the other stuff like book spinning and juggling. It was a great change of pace. I also think it’s revolutionary to make a film like this that is overall entertaining and can introduce people to cards. IMO you can add some more card stuff into it, but if I told you to do that it would be bad advice. I thought it was a great video and I think people are going to catch on to your ideas and start producing more Film like video. So thank you very much for sharing.

On the bad side, I think the quality of the video could be better. I think I say that about everyone’s video. I know it’s unrealistic to demand thousands of dollars of video equipment from High School Kids. It just that when You are really interested In the video (And this really goes for all the videos posted) it’s a disappointment when you find yourself nose to the screen to see what’s really going on, cuase it’s a bit fuzzy. As I stated before.. I don’t know anything about Compression and Video Editing and stuff… but if the video’s can be a larger file and more clear, than that is my vote… Once again that goes for all videos… I know you guys have to compress and do what you have to do to get it on the servers, but for what it’s worth, I’d be willing to wait a lot longer downloading the video.

The juggling was really cool, can’t really comment about that, The book spinning was exceptional…. I still have no clue how you can even get it going like that… I can’t spin a basket ball for more than 15 seconds. Can you learn that from any videos?? I thought the card cuts were great. They were smooth and clear, I think faster cuts would have been unfitting in the video. The giant fan was just a bit uneven…. I think only us card folks will pick that up though, no big deal. And most Importantly , Mad Props for the Target Colored Bicycles, don’t forget to go pick up a pack of the new pink and purple, now with huge funny face cards. They’re New and Improved.

Aside from the video, just out of curiosity are you two going to take up performing arts at college or no?
jessicashurtz
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jessicashurtz
Quote:
On 2005-06-03 08:40, 4Jacks wrote:
And most Importantly , Mad Props for the Target Colored Bicycles, don’t forget to go pick up a pack of the new pink and purple, now with huge funny face cards. They’re New and Improved.

Aside from the video, just out of curiosity are you two going to take up performing arts at college or no?

first off: UGLY!!!!!!!! but karen has some...

second off: nope Smile

thanks for the great feeback, everyone!
-j
kxxcheng
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of kxxcheng
I was kind of disappointed by the pink and purple cards. Remember, the actual faces are different colours (pink/purple depending on suit), making them rather... ugly for flourishes. I don't like the backs much either. I bought two decks, and the one that I opened is still in order. I worked at Target when I bought them so I guess the discount is nice. My favourite inverted deck is still the blue one- great shade of blue. Black decks have always been a little gothic looking for me.

About video quality which has been addressed more than once- yes I hated compressing it to 14mb. But, realistically, who would want to host a 30mb+ video?

And neither of us will join performing arts in college, but I'll be going to a school with plenty of jugglers, unicyclists, etc, so I'll probably be getting more into that. Jessica's going to a military school where the kids will beat her up if they see her juggling Smile

And a word about padiddling. Like anything else, tips don't help much. I learned just fine with no outside help... I saw some guys at school spinning their books and decided I would too. It's all about practise. Round objects are harder to keep going than flat ones because generally with basketballs and such you rely on your nondominant hand to brush against the ball to keep it in motion. Whereas, once you get good with flat surfaces, you can keep it going with that one hand as long as you like. And the more practise you get, the faster it will go. I've been able to spin books since I was able to do algebra (a long time ago...) and I've just had a lot of time with it. As far as starting to learn, balance the book on the center, on your finger, and use the other hand to start it into motion (counter-clockwise for righties). It will fall within half a second. Try again. Repeat.
Karen
Malakaneekeenai
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Malakaneekeenai
Wow, you two girls are very talented, nice job.
"Try not to conform to the way others see you as, carve your own path"-Muah
greydonthemagician
View Profile
Regular user
London, Ontario
149 Posts

Profile of greydonthemagician
Hey,
Wow I have never seen a girl flourish before, you guys rock!!!!!!
Keep it up!!!!!
You should definetly make another vid
greydon
MagicLive! 2015 Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » West End - a new video by Karen and Jessica (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL