The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Ron Jaxon's Bill Burner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Like I said. I've got plenty right now. Send me an Email and I'll get you taken care of.

Just keep in mind that the yellow clear ones are easier to find and they work well too.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
I constructed it using a clear yellow lighter and it looks great.

This is an ingenious way to vanish a dollar seemingly right under their nose.

Outside of the effects mentioned in this thread, has anyone used this to double up the reactions by teaming it with "Billoon" or "anywhere Bill"?

Great Job, Ron!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
You know? Billoon would be great with Bill Burner because you could use the flame from the lighter to pop the balloon. What I would do is pocket the lighter as I show the bill is inside it (bouncing it around). Then pull out a duplicate lighter out and hand it to them and they pop it for me. In other words I've very subtly switched lighters and you end with everything examinable.

Great thinking Lambertmoon!

I do know of a few magicians using Bill Burner with a Bill in Lemon (or similar fruits).

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
I've been wanting to get this for some time but wanted to make sure I had the right lighter.

I found them Friday night (yellow) and ordered BBC Saturday. There is just so much that can be done with this. Really great job, Ron.
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Loyal user
Santa Barbara, CA
291 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
I gave up on finding a clear lighter after the 10th place Smile So I settled for the yellow one. I agree, it works great as well, and maybe even helps that it has some tint to it Smile
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
I just got the pdf and will construct the gimmick this week. The principle is brilliant. My one question (and maybe I need to read the pdf again), is "why would I want to wrap a bill around a lighter?"

I can think of a couple lame reasons:
"So Mr. Magic can't crumple it up and sneak it out of sight."

or

"Wouldn't it be cool if I wrapped this dollar around this here lighter?"

I'm not trying to be a critic, as I think the principle is really cool. I'm just looking for some way to motivate the action.
Thanks.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2338 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Jaxon,
PMed you about lighters. Also, the local companies (gas stations, etc.) all buy from a distributor. This distributor imports all of the "stuff" you see in these stations. They even sell them the machinery. We have a big local one here that used to do the "food show" for once a year. Walkaround magic in this place was fun. Hope this information helps.
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
I have a rough method for the effect which uses a tic tac box and you place a coin on the top of it, sqeeze and the coin is INSIDE the tic tac box... You then hand out everything for examination! You could also do it with a card aswell!
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
I have a rough method for the effect which uses a tic tac box and you place a coin on the top of it, sqeeze and the coin is INSIDE the tic tac box... You then hand out everything for examination! You could also do it with a card aswell!

Does this use a similar method to the Bill Burner gimmick? Just asking as there is a marketed effect similar to what you describe.
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
Quote:
On 2006-07-25 09:53, tntjr wrote:

Does this use a similar method to the Bill Burner gimmick? Just asking as there is a marketed effect similar to what you describe.

Yea it utilises the Bill Burner gimmick, but in a different way... The effect is not that good now as its a rough method, but it looks cool!
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
I'll ask again. I'm looking for some motivation for wrapping a bill around a lighter. I suppose the routine w/ the straw gives a reason to have a lighter out, but what about other routines? Thanks
MrClue
View Profile
New user
Germany
31 Posts

Profile of MrClue
Hi there,

Quote:
On 2006-07-26 18:23, tntjr wrote:
I'll ask again. I'm looking for some motivation for wrapping a bill around a lighter. I suppose the routine w/ the straw gives a reason to have a lighter out, but what about other routines? Thanks

in my routine for this effect, the motivation is a demonstration, which is
best presented in a casual environment when there are smokers around.
I usually ask them, if they'd agree on the fact that smoking almost literally makes your well earned money disppear (works well in Germany, where the price for cigarettes is quite high).
Following that trail I then demonstrate BillBurner.

For a happy end though the money should re-appear ;-)

Just my 2 euro-cents,
Steph
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
That helps. Can work w/ non-smokers as well. Thanks. I really like the way this works, but unmotivated actions bug me. Many change-bag routines have the same issue.
Any more ideas are welcome.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
610 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
The lighter and rubber band serve as a poor man's wallet and it works so poorly that the money seems to disappear as soon as you put it on there...
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
An idea just came to mind when I was reading Tom's idea about the poor mans money clip. Add a line something like this. "I use my lighter as a money clip because I'm always burning a hole in my pocket anyway".

When I first started performing this I usually made the bill appear inside a cigarette. Keep in mind that I also performed my cigarette trick Outsmokin' before hand so I already had a cigarette in play.

Sometimes I just say something like. "I need to put the bill in something to keep it safe". Then I grab the lighter and rubber band as an after thought. My performing style is very laid back in close up and a lot of my tricks almost seem like I'm making them up on the spot using objects that happen to be near by. So it works for me. I realize that won't work for everyone though.

Ron Jaxon

tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Great suggestions. Thanks. I'll finish making the gimmick this week. FWIW, I found a nice clear lighter at a truck stop. I could not get the stickers off it, so used a little Goof Off and it melted through the plastic and I heard a "sssssssssss...." as the butane escaped! Glad I bought 2.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
568 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
The same thing happened to me! Do not use GOOF OFF!!! When mine cracked, butane sprayed my entire face. Good thing I wasn't smoking (or smoke for that matter).

As for motivation for wrapping a lighter around the bill, I came up with this one: After a few tricks with the same dollar. Ask if they would like to see an amazing vanish of a dollar bill. I then bring out the lighter, light it (allowing only the gaffed side to be seen, this looks great) and proceed to slowly hold the flame up to the bill. I go slow enough until someone finally gets the joke and laughs. It's this moment where I unlite the flame and joke about "just kidding, but there IS a way to use a lighter to make this dollar vanish." While you say this, you have perfect oppurtunity to begin to roll the dollar around the lighter and continue with bill burner. It may not make the most sense, but it is working for me and at least has some introductory logic to it.

Also, anyone have an idea about removing the sticker adhesive without ruining, scrathing, melting, deforming, or cracking the lighter? I've tried, hot dish soap, straight alcohol, and other products. All seem to still leave a cloudy, sticky residue on the lighter. I did get lucky for my gimmick by painstakingly removing the adhesive with alcohol and a Q-tip. Any other ideas?

Thanks Jaxon for a cool trick.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Great suggestions! As for removing the stickers, one thing I will try next is something I learned years ago when working retail. Ironically, it's lighter fluid. I don't think it's as harsh as goof off, but it does work for sticker gunk.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I remove the sticker by first pealing off as much as I can with my finger nail. Then I put a little "goo gone" on it and let it soak for a few. Then it comes right off. That "goo gone" is some great stuff and won't eat through plastic.

Since we're on the subject of lighter stickers here. I'll give away a free trick. This is part of my E-book called BAR T.A.B (Trick And Bits). The trick is called Bic Sticker.

EFFECT:
You use two normal bic lighters (non-transparent). They can be borrowed or you can use your own. Each lighter has one of those warning stickers on them. You peal the sticker off one lighter and stick it onto the other. So you now have a lighter with no stickers and the other lighter has a sticker on both sides.

You can cause the lighters to switch places and/or cause the stickers to magically travel from one lighter to the other (just like color changing knifes). At the end one of the stickers vanishes from the lighters and appears on a drink (glass or bottle). You then place an empty lighter in a spectators closed fist. Peal the sticker off the drink and it vanishes then appear on the lighter they are holding.

METHOD:
If you understand the paddle move then you'll know how to cause the sticker to travel from lighter to lighter (both lighters have a sticker on one side). But the pealing part is what sells this routine. At the beginning they actually see you peal one of them off and stick it on the other. Here's what you do.

Go out and find one of those clear vinyl window decals. I'm sure you've seen them stuck to windows before. You'll have to find one that has a clear area that's as large as the sticker is on the lighter. You'll understand why in a moment.

Remove the sticker from a lighter. Stick it to a clear section of the vinyl window decal. Then cut off the excess. You'll end up with a lighter sticker with the sticky side covered with vinyl. This sticker will now stick to any smooth surface.

TO PERFORM:
Have the gimmick palmed in left hand. Obtain a lighter with your right (it must have a sticker on it). Place the lighter on top of the gimmick in left hand so that the gimmick will stick to the side of the lighter that has no sticker. Basically, the lighter now has a sticker on both sides.

Secretly turn the lighter over gimmick side up. Then openly peal the gimmick off. Then obtain another lighter that has a sticker. Pretend to stick the gimmick on the empty side but you actually retain it in your hand and turn the lighter sticker side up. Then now think one lighter has no sticker and the other has two.

Pick up your drink to take a sip and secretly stick the gimmick to it. As you are doing this casually do the paddle move to show the lighter has a sticker on both sides.

I think this is enough information to know what to do next. Use the paddle move to cause the lighters and stickers to travel. Make one jump to the drink. Show one lighter empty and have them hold it in there fist. Then vanish the gimmick with your favorite method.

I hope this is description is understandable. The E-book has images and things but it's not hard. I hope you like it.

Ron Jaxon

tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Thanks for sharing the trick. I forgot about goo gone. Yes, it's good stuff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Ron Jaxon's Bill Burner (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL