The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New Town - New Area (Busking & Pitching) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Ok, wasnt sure if this should be here or in the Busking area of the Café (The Sidewalk Shuffle). Anyway, I am going to move in September to another area (in fact, another country - Dundee, Scotland).

I am looking to start busking in this area and wondering what I will need to know to begin busking and/or pitching. I suppose I will have to phone the local council and ask whether there is a license for this kind of thing... but could anyone help me out with who specifically I need to phone and what specifically I need to ask for? There is probably more to it than what I have mentioned.

Cheers,

Chase
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Chase,
Heres an approach to get things rolling for you; go down to the City Hall and just up and inquire...in person...about licenses. Not only will you find out the rules but you will make your first contacts on the inside of the city's infrastructure. Leave biz cards, leave smiles as they will come back to you.
Another track to follow would be to find the local/regional magic shop, magic club and area performers in this and other internet groups. Ask them, make friends, go watch them work, etc and all the info you seek will come together in a short period of time. Good luck.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Ok, I want to avoid labeling myself as just a begger - this isn't what I am. I am a street performer who makes money buy performing for a crowd (whats the difference, right?).

Anyway, I only want to avoid the term beggar because it insites hate towards myself. So what name should I use? "Street Performer", "Busker", and "Street Magician" have had no positive responses as of yet.

Chase
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
Hi,

I wouldn't recommend Dundee for street entertaining. Generally the UK is a difficult place to make money on the streets. There are obvious exceptions like London, Bath, York, Stratford-upon-Avon and Edinburgh during the festival but otherwise lack of tourists = lack of good hats. I'm not saying it's impossible just much much harder than in other more appreciative countries. Your best bet is to contact the local council and ask them about their rules for street entertainment and then contact the local constabulary and keep them happy. Generally the police will be quite pleasant about moving you on if you are in the wrong place but not always (even if you are doing the street but being paid by the shop you are working outside - as happened not so long ago to a guy in York, who got nicked).

Also remember that working a different country will mean a complete reworking of your show to adapt your humour. I know how quickly I bombed the first time I tried to work in the states.

Try asking the same question on http://www.performers.net and see if anyone there has any further advice. I don't know the Scottish scene so I might be doing it an injustice (but if it is like the English scene then I'm probably being optimistic).

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I have tried performers.net a while ago and nobody replied... there you have it.

I am moving to Dundee for personal reasons, and looking for work is not one of them. So I am looking to see if I can do some working up there while I am living there. I currently live in Wales, UK and am moving to Scotland, UK.

Chase
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New Town - New Area (Busking & Pitching) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL