We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Quick change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

graemesd
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of graemesd
Does anyone ahve the quickchange book -

I'm after some self serving bias as I have ordered it and need you all to tell me how fantastic it is and I haven't wasted a penny

thanks
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
I'm waiting for it too. Any idea when it will be actually released?
Jon Gower
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
33 Posts

Profile of Jon Gower
My copy arrived a few days ago. I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed. It's an excellent insite to this very technical craft.
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
The book is very nicely produced on high quality thick paper and with many nice illustrations and photos.
The level of the English language translation could be a bit better. Some sentences sound a bit cryptic. Don't expect any literal level like Steinmeyer writings.
If you have been long into quickchange yourself you won't find any revolutionary or outbreaking methods. All the standard & basic information is presented well.
If you do quickchange this book is a good buy as practically there has been nothing decent published before.
If you want to get into quickchange this book is a must.
SteveMarshall
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of SteveMarshall
I'm glad to hear that a few of you have actualy received your Art of Quickchange books and are happy with the book! I live in Japan and mine is "on the way" I should be receiving it in a few days.
On the Hocus Pocus web sight there is a new DVD listed called "Art of costume change DVD" I have ordered it an I am excited to see it as I have seen Yasuda's act here in Japan several times and was always impressed with the costume changes his assistants did. If you need costume changes for your assistants I'm sure this will be a good buy also. I'll let you know when I receive it.
fredmoore
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of fredmoore
Steve-o!

Let me know what you think of the DVD. I'm considering ordering it myself and was looking for some honest feedback.

E-mail me and let me know what's up with your life!
www.moorefred.com

"Find A Job You Love And You
Add 5 Days To Your Week!"
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
Quote:
On 2005-06-15 08:40, MopKrayz wrote:

The level of the English language translation could be a bit better. Some sentences sound a bit cryptic. Don't expect any literal level like Steinmeyer writings.
If you have been long into quickchange yourself you won't find any revolutionary or outbreaking methods. All the standard & basic information is presented well.
If you do quickchange this book is a good buy as practically there has been nothing decent published before.

I'm surprized that you are complaining on the English translation... The book was translated by a native English speaker and I don't find anything wrong with it. On the other hand side if you are looking for literature level of English language, you should not look for it in the magic books. Most of the magic books, including this one are mostly written with an accent on the technical explanation, and thus the level of English is more technical. I have several Steinmeyer's books, and I didn't find any literal quality in his English Either, just good technical language.

I don't agree on the fact that there is nothing revolutionary in this book. Au contraire!!!! As a full time quick change artist performing multiple costume changes as an act of its own and as a magician and illusionist incorporating quick costume changes in most of my acts/shows as an addition to magic (being trained by famous Russian quick change artists, and performing it for years), I feel competent to say that the book IS revolutionary! You can read my revew on the book (I will write it just when I finish writing this) in the forum.

I really don't know what have you expected to find in the book? This is how quick changes are and have been done in real life and I don't know what you mean by saying that there is nothing that hasn't been published. Tell me please where it has been published, so that I know, for a refference.
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
English translation: some parts have to be re-read 2 or 3 times for the reader to undertsand the context. the english does not "flow". if it was for me, some parts had to be re-written. But I know the world of publishing, hence I understand that there were deadlines to respect. It's not a matter of literacy level, it's just a matter to make the text "flow" and easy to follow for the readers.

Material: As a MAKER of quickchange costumes, not just performer, I already had knowledge of the various systems described. Other professional costume makers I know had such knowledge too as I learned from them. It's not my fault if there are people in the business of costume making that know such methods.

I stated that nothing decent has been published before this book and whoever is into quickchange for men should get hold of this book. I guess that you, and everyone else into quickchange, agrees with me too.
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
MopKrayz, sorry if my remarks sounded harsh... Yeah, I agree when you say that nothing decent has been published before this book. Well as you know already, the quick change as a discipline of its own (or as a very special branch of magic) is way too wide so that all knowledge could fit into just one book. For sure there still are methods and methods to be explained, but all the basic principles are there in this book.

You must have been in touch with some top expert costume makers who taught you all that. I know many costume makers everywhere around the world (when you tour with a quick change act, always something happens, something tears or wears out, and something has to be made on the spot so I always look for the best and most famous costume makers where ever I go), they usually have no idea on any methods of quick change and it always takes hours for me to explain what I want (even with a sample costume) and I always have to sit by their side while they work so that they don't make a mistake.

On the other hand side, when we look at the very methods (I'm reffering to the fastening methods), we should have in mind that due to the copyright reasons, some of the best methods could not be revealed, so most of the methods described are inventions of the author and co authors of this book. They are all audience tested and (believe me, I made some samples at home, just to sattisfy my own curiorsity) they work magnificently.

Wow, nice to hear that you are making quick change costumes! Do you have some photos aor anything like a catalog? Maybe one day I could order something interesting from you.

Thanks!
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
I agree with you, normal theatre costume makers have almost no idea of quickchange costumes. However most have been involved in producing tear apart costuming which is nowadays widely used in theatres everywhere.
I would never dream of developing my costumes using a seamstress. it would be too much time consuming and expensive that way. usually when developing a new costume it will take much experimentation when it comes to the materials of choice and also how the various costumes fit well into each other.
Unfortunately these days we see many "buggy" costumes. These "flow" really well but look so old fashioned and ugly especially on petite women.
Up until now I never produced costumes apart for my own shows/use. Last one we did took us months to perfect. I think you know well what I am saying...
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
Yeah, it's true that it takes months to perfect a costume sometimes when a new idea for some new costume change comes around. Fortunately, I'm not having too many problems with this as I usually know exactly what materials to use, where the gimmicked part of every costume would be, etc. This comes as a result of many years of working with costumes. Fortunately my seamstresses and tailors - the one that make my costumes here at home, are used to this. The fact that they are theatrical seamstresses and tailors speaks for itself - they can make a costume directly from the designer's sketch. They already know the method I will use, my designers (again, they have been in this with me for many years now) design the visual look of each costume (so we don't get bulges and so that every costume looks rich, appealing and visually interesting) knowing the technical requirements and the tailors usually make the costume very quickly - just now I'm having a new set of dresses (9 dresses) made for my assistant and everything is made in just 2 weeks. I know how to sew and I do repair my costumes, but I would never go into something complicated like that myself, nor do I have all the machines necessary. The fact that I have been trained by experts in the area has saved my time in experimentig. I can only say from that point of view that the book Quick Change is also a time saver for a novice in this area.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
As a fairly well-known translator of magic books, I can tell you that Lee Alex took on a gargantuan task translating this particular book. I was approached by Ted Lesley to do the work on this one, and had too many other committments to get to it in a timely fashion. I read the German version a couple of times, and I can tell you that the German is very clear; however, there were a few words and phrases in the book that I just didn't have the right English equivalent for. I'm glad Lee took this one on.

I'm not going to buy the English version, because if I did, I would be asked to give an opinion of the translating. I won't do that. I know how difficult it was to translate the first German magic book I did. And I didn't get it right until the second time around. Sometimes translating has to be done in three steps -- the transposition of the words into the tarkget language, the smoothing of the translation, so that it doesn't read like a translation, and finally, the difficult one -- creating a style for the author, so that the English reads the way it would if the author actually wrote in English as his native language.

Congratulations, Lee and Sven! I hope you sell a bunch of them!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
Bill Palmer you eventually speak from experience and you know what you're saying.
smoothing the translation and rewriting to create a consistent style must be the most mind wrecking parts I presume...
However I don't agree with you that you shouldn't get the English version, as it has much more information than the German book.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Why? I'm not a quick change artist, and I have no intention of becoming one. I don't purchase books that are irrelevant to what I do.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
Since you mentioned that you read the German version, I assumed you were into quickchange....
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No. Re read my post. I was given the book by Ted Lesley to consider for translating.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
On 2005-06-21 03:52, Bill Palmer wrote:

Congratulations, Lee and Sven! I hope you sell a bunch of them!

Bill, thank you for your kind words. I missed your post and have only come across it today!

Indeed there were parts of the book that caused some headaches for a few days. I am sure you are aware of this feeling.

I am happy to say that the book is continuing to be a success and I believe the author has also been apporached for the book to be translated into French too.

Once again Bill your comments were much appreciated.
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
tanselkaya
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of tanselkaya
After getting the English copy I was able to get my hands on the German original as well. English is my second foreign language after German, so I have a tendency to think in German. I think Lee Alex did a terrific job in translating while still staying true to the original. Excellent work, man. Keep up the good work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Quick change (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL