The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Do any of you actually pull a rabbit out of a hat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Do any of you actually pull a rabbit out of a hat?

People think that's all magicians do is pull rabbits out of hat. But they are so wrong. I think it's a lot harder to perform for people that think this.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
To date for live performances no. Have I been working on multiple versions for my show? Yes. Is it harder to perform than one would think? Of course, as is all forms of quality magic.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Unfortunately I must plead guilty to performing this effect using several different methods. My motivation was "that it was expected". And it is. But it doesn't obligate us to do it.

It is harder than card tricks. The question is how does the audience react? First, last, and always I want to be an entertainer! During the OJ murder trial, I did shrinking glove tricks. The audience thought that was a magic trick too. (The jury didn't!) The real test is how does it play?

It's your show!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
I produce my rabbit out of a mirror box, not a hat. Strangely enough, I have never been motivated to produce him that way... Too much of a cliche, in my opinion.

Have a good day!

Louis Jutras
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Louis,

"A cliché” again?

I would have to agree to a very great extent. But so is putting after a drive, kicking the extra point after a touchdown, or throwing rice at a wedding. Next people will start having dessert after a big meal. Maybe they should not applaud after being entertained? Too much of a cliché.

Some clichés are really fun.

Remember that most people die without ever seeing a live rabbit produced from a hat.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Bob,

It is our solemn duty to add as much magic to people's lives as possible. Handling live rabbits is a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it.

You have more doves than rabbits, so I gather that magic is more for the birds than carrot munchers. Actually it's more for the audience, but I digress...

What worries me are folks who add a rabbit to the act without realizing that rehearsal time and performance time are only a small part of the animal's life. How much quality time do you and family spend with your furry friend?

David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
David,

Our current rabbit is a huge New Zealand White we have had since 2002. Her name is Maxine (after we learned that Maxwell was wrong). She is part of the family and she expects us to work very hard for her. In addition to the time she gets at feeding times and "working", she gets our attention every time we leave the house to get into a vehicle. Even when I am paying attention to the doves, she expects attention. If it were up to her, I'm sure she would turn the doves out and scare them away. She's certain that one specific white rabbit is all that we need.

As compared to the doves, Maxine is a very heavy eater.

Bob
Animal Feeder and Petter

Lucy and I both use her in our shows. She's a real ham!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Bob, you do make a very strong point! I guess when it comes down to it, I just simply do not feel that it is the right way for me to produce the rabbit... I have a whole routine worked out with jumbo cards and an "invisible rabbit" assistant. At some point, in order to make him visible, I produce him from the mrirror box.

I find that this suits me better. And yes, the children (and grown ups!) love to see the rabbit.

You will notice that I speak for myself only. Others may have a great routine for producing the rabbit out of the hat (as I am certain you have!), and that is fine too! Personally, I am just trying to hit the right balance between a production that suits my style AND give good entertainment to the audience.

Have a good day!

Louis Jutras
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Louis,

It's your show. Nothing has to fit more than the magician. Your taste and needs are certainly respected. My point was essentally that a cliche' is neither good nor bad. (Unless it is dessert!)

Take care and enjoy your magic.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Yes I can do a rabbit from a hat. It is the hardest way to produce a rabbit because
there must be adequate misdirection.

My favorite way to produce my rabbit is with a double load rabbit pan. I always felt the mirror box looked too gimmicky for me.

My rabbit is part of the family and lives in the house. He has run of the house at least once a day. When I'm gone he has to stay in his cage. He uses a litter box and never messes in the house. If you want to go this route, I suggest rabbit proofing your homes. Specially all your electric cords. They like to chew on these.
Daniel Faith
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
June 8, 2005
How many people want to go to a magic show and see some old hack pull a rabbit out of a hat? That blows. I would be angry if I spent my money on some guy that would just do that. I want to see some guy that is creative, original, and different from everyone else. That's why I would hire him. If it weren’t the case I could just tape a magic show off TV and just play it on the TV for everyone to watch at my party. What would be the point?

ThimblesAndPaintballs,

Welcome aboard The Magic Café! I noticed that this is your first 24 hours here. If you are serious about magic, I’m sure you will love it. (Poster was immediately expelled again for prior offenses)

Your point about clichés is well taken. However, it appears that you might have skipped reading some of the preceding posts in the thread. The posts are about rabbit from hat. The term cliché entered when a poster suggested the he felt that as an effect it was a cliché. I’m unaware of anyone actually agreeing or disagreeing with him. My point was “So what?” We live with thousands of clichés everyday that we expect and even like (like dessert).

I also spent years a recording studio musician and stage musician. Creativity is not something I oppose. My adult children live on trust funds it provided. But as you gain experience in magic, you’ll find that creativity is usually personal discovery rather than something new to the art. The chords, the notes, the movements, the tricks, etc. were always there and have been done before. The creativity is when we find them for the first time ourselves.

Never confuse a non-paying audience with a talent buyer. Their purposes and needs are very different. Shows are matched to the level of the audience. Most audiences are free viewers attracted for another use. When we are selling jam, we use talent to attract people who buy jam. They are not experts on talent. In magic, you’ll find that your creative moments will likely be spent for free with other magicians. If you bank money from talent buyers they are drawing a crowd to buy jam. They prefer the clichés. While I haven’t performed rabbit from hat in over twenty years, I still get asked. And they are still buying! A pro has to follow the money. Only hobbyists can afford to just please themselves. Remember whose money is really being spent. It seldom the audience except for very small audiences.

Enjoy your magic and The Magic Café.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I didn't think that so many people actually pulled rabbits out of hats! I have been thinking about different ways of pulling rabbits out of hats and how to make it interesting. One idea is to make a hat that works like a tip out trunk (Or is it tip over trunk? Either way I think you know what I mean.) and add a bit of confetti for surprise.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I haven't done it lately, but for a while I had a version of my own that I had whipped up. Bunny's are so much trouble, though. The little critters don't have any qualms about spoiling a perfectly good effect by moving and shaking hats or whatever they are concealed in.

I just decided it wasn't worth the trouble of carting them to the venue and trying to get privacy to set up in secret, etc, So now they just live a life of luxury in the magic room of my house. They get all the food, water and hay they want, and they don't even have to work for it.

I suppose that is their version of a pension plan, complete with fringe benefits and all.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-06-11 00:26, daffydoug wrote:
Bunnies are so much trouble, though.

I just decided it wasn't worth the trouble of carting them to the venue and trying to get privacy to set up in secret, etc, so now they just live a life of luxury in the magic room of my house. They get all the food, water and hay they want, and they don't even have to work for it.

I suppose that is their version of a pension plan, complete with fringe benefits and all.

Please give us the address Doug so we can all send retired bunnies to Doug's Bunny Retirement Home for Magic Rabbits! There are a few. (OK, Hundreds!)

It seems like such a good idea in the beginning.

Welcome to Pleasure Island.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2446 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
The vile beast must weigh about 15 pounds - where can I get a hat that will hold such a critter?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-06-12 08:26, rossmacrae wrote:
The vile beast must weigh about 15 pounds - where can I get a hat that will hold such a critter?

Now I'm glad Maxine is only 13 lbs! We need the elephant illusion.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I said it before and I'll say it again...

Put a pair of 'ears' on a dove.

:)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Doug,

What about the tail?

My doves hop fine but the tail just looks funny for a rabbit!

Our rabbit does eat with the doves! (Think she could teach them something?)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Tail is ok...it's a Birrabbit. I don't advise clipping the tail short and attaching a big cotton ball... Bad enough to already be Super Gluing ears to the head.

Only kidding! :-0 (about the glue)

Although, if you remember that Dove routine I had posted on my site last year, doing the 'tail flip' gag could reveal a cotton ball UNDER the tail feathers. It might get poopy though.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-06-12 08:26, rossmacrae wrote:

I ended up constructing my own. I took one of those huge round tins that they use to hold popcorn during holidays, and painted it flat black, then I constructed a brim, etc.

Quote:
On 2005-06-11 13:09, Bob Sanders wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-11 00:26, daffydoug wrote:
Bunnies are so much trouble, though.

I just decided it wasn't worth the trouble of carting them to the venue and trying to get privacy to set up in secret, etc, so now they just live a life of luxury in the magic room of my house. They get all the food, water and hay they want, and they don't even have to work for it.

Please give us the address Doug so we can all send retired bunnies to Doug's Bunny Retirement Home for Magic Rabbits! There are a few. (OK, Hundreds!)

It seems like such a good idea in the beginning.

Welcome to Pleasure Island.

Bob
Magic By Sander

Hey Bob, these two that I now have are bleeding me dry with their gargantuan appetites as it is, man! Trenchermen, that's what they are!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Do any of you actually pull a rabbit out of a hat? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL