The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Quick, Hard-Hitting stuff for a waiter. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RP
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of RP
I wait tables for a living and would like to do magic for my customers to enhance their dining experiance (and maybe my tip amount too;-)). Since I do have to take care of multiple tables at once ususally, I really only have time for one or two quick tricks. So my questions are:

Should I even bother with doing magic because of the limited time?
and
If so, what would you recommend for some quick, hard-hitting effects?

I'm thinking that I would only really do them during the slower periods, but who knows...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
"The napkin rose" takes from 30 to 60 seconds, and "a rose and a kiss" for women and will knock their sox off. "Stargazer" it's quick, and is a sure thing with kids.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
The Birthday Card trick and Anniversary Waltz (Doc Eason vol2&3) will help you to get good tips.
Away from cards I'd recommend learning a couple of quick coin tricks to do with their change, so check out Bobo's book. (More specifically a retention vanish and ditch/hand wash, the pulse trick, coin through hand... I'm sure you'll find more)
Also a pen/pencil through bill or napkin is pretty good, so check out the models out there, I'd recommend perfect penetration for your setting.
Cut & Restored rope goes down well too, as does unequal ropes.
What ever you learn, watch your angles, and good luck.
Paul
RP
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of RP
Unfortunatly, in the era of credit cards and gift cards, I don't get a chance to handle much cash. Usually one out of 10 tables will pay with cash and will tell me to keep the rest. Any ideas on good stuff with credit/gift cards?
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Do something with loops by mesika there awesome move a fork or something tell the its haunted.
Shane
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Yes loops work good, but try things like hot rod, or something simple, paddle moves tricks often go over in such an environment, easy to do, easy to carry, doesn't take much time and keeps the boss off your case for fooling around. Color changing knives is good.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Stargazer is one. Some paddle tricks are amazing too. And don't forget the ever reliable TT.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-06-06 21:35, dramafiji wrote:
Unfortunatly, in the era of credit cards and gift cards, I don't get a chance to handle much cash. Usually one out of 10 tables will pay with cash and will tell me to keep the rest. Any ideas on good stuff with credit/gift cards?

"Mondo Magic" had a guy who could make credit cards float around him. I'd wondered if that was practical or had to be set up because it would be cool if I could do that with either the Wal-Mart gift cards or the employee discount cards that I occassionally handle.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Learn John Carney's paddle trick with a normal table knife and paper entitled "Swing Blade," found in his book entitled The Book of Secrets (Lessons for Progressive Conjuring).
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Check out a new product called Overboard from http://www.uniquemagiccollection.com It is an excellent way for a waiter to introduce themselves to a table. Not sure if the video links are working yet, but give it a try anyway.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
You may also consider Dan Harlans Starcle. Or a hot rod
RideorDie99
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of RideorDie99
RAVEN Maybe?
STOP DROP SHUT THEM DOWN AND OPEN UP SHOP
b-gann
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of b-gann
Quote:

I think if you had their card hover, or float, in front of them that would get a nice reaction.
CyberMage
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of CyberMage
I am probably in the minority here when I suggest this, but I would say that if your job is to wait tables, then you should not do magic during that time. I have waited tables before and it is a tough job, especially when you have multiple tables that you have to attend to and adding some magic for your customers takes away from doing what you were hired to do.

As an alternative, I would recommend talking to your supervisor about coming in on a night when you don't have to wait tables so you can do table-to-table magic. That way you can focus entirely on fully entertaining your customers and not interfere with waiting tables.
RP
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of RP
Yeah, I thought about that point...hence my first question in the original post. However, I was thinking I would only do magic if the restaurant was not busy, say at the beginning or the end of the rush, when I only have one or maybe two tables and am standing around cause there isn't anything to do.

On another note, I'm not sure how doing magic "takes away" from doing what I was hired to do. As a server, my job is to make the dining experiance the best and most enjoyable it can be. I would think throwing in a trick or two would help help me achieve that. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand what you are saying and appreciate your ideas, that is just my thought on the subject.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Quote:
On 2005-06-09 22:24, CyberMage wrote:
I am probably in the minority here when I suggest this, but I would say that if your job is to wait tables, then you should not do magic during that time. I have waited tables before and it is a tough job, especially when you have multiple tables that you have to attend to and adding some magic for your customers takes away from doing what you were hired to do.

As an alternative, I would recommend talking to your supervisor about coming in on a night when you don't have to wait tables so you can do table-to-table magic. That way you can focus entirely on fully entertaining your customers and not interfere with waiting tables.

I waited tables through college and did do magic. But, only on very slow nights. people feel uneasy when it's slow, but entertaining them takes that away. And you will get bigger tips. On slow nights, I made as much as busier nights when I couldn't do tricks.
~Joe
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Consider "ring thing" by garrett thomas.
If you have more time you can do a very short ring and string routine.

Consider "tenkai pennies"
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:

Credit Card Fraud can be purchased from http://www.JBTV.co.uk . You apparently 'peel' the magnetic strip off the credit card and replace it. There is a video demo on the website
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
Check out "Precious Metal" from Zander Magic. Very quick and easy. Very visual.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Yes.."Precious Metal" by John Zander would be a perfect quickie.....Freely show a spoon and then it changes into a fork. John Zander is a member here at the Café.
Check it out.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Quick, Hard-Hitting stuff for a waiter. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL