The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Quick, Hard-Hitting stuff for a waiter. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
You want a "Hit & Run" routine. I teach the waiters at my restaurants to do a torn & restored receipt bit that fits perfectly. "Oh, sorry...this isn't your receipt." Have the actual receipt folded and held under the folder. Remove a small flash paper fake receipt from the folder retaining the real receipt in your other hand, burn it & toss into air (...very impressive...er...practice this a few times AWAY from customers!!!). Reach into the "flames" and produce the "restored" receipt. "Ah! Here it is. I hope you'll come back again!" Very quick, on subject, in line with what you're doing and it makes a great impression! Tearing rather than burning the fake receipt works just as well...but isn't as flashy...and you have to ditch the torn bits. I suppose it depends on how open your manager is to flashy ideas.

Whatever you do, have it fit your "waiter" persona. Avoid cards, balls and so on...things that your average waiter wouldn't use. these will just slow you down and take you "out of character"...which some customers will consider tacky. Al Angelo's suggestion for the Napkin Rose & kiss is perfect as is a paddle move with a standard knife..."Oh! This seems to have something on it." Wipe it off. "That got it!" It reappears. "What?! There...got it." Appears again. Kid's love this...and everytime a child laughs the parent's wallet opens a little wider.

Another great one for kids is the wooden egg. Palm the wooden egg as you appproach a table with children. Start taking the order then casually mention that the management does not permit food from outside sources. Ask "May I get that for you?" then SLOWLY reach behind the child's ear and produce the egg. "Thanky you...I'll be sure to give this to Chef." Act as though it's a daily happening and go on with the order. Moving towards the child too quickly may frighten the child and setthe parent against you. Be careful.

Hope these few ideas help.

:) Skip

As a table-hopping magician, I like to include the waitstaff & bartenders in my miracles. It makes me part of their "family". I'll open with a signed card routine then "lose" the card. Being unable to find the card, I move on to another bit or two. The server or bartender eventually walks up holding a card visibily in the hand. As they stop beside me, they'll say, "Skip, this was found in the kitchen. Is it yours?" and hand the card to me. I say, "No...but it is <customer's name>'s" and they hand it to the totally shocked customer. The secret is simple. I simply palm the signed card and stick it into a concealed pocket on the back of my vest. It sticks out 1/2 way as a signal to the server. When they're free, they walk up with an indifferent card, put their hand on my back to politely get my attention meanwhile swapping the indifferent card for the signed card behind me and present it. The illusion is beautiful and the staff gets to be part of the action.

I'll also name a "Card of the Day". If I see a server approaching the table as I'm performing, I'll say "Watch this" and force the card of the day. I'll mention the server's psychic abilities...the server casually announces the selected card and walks away (no big deal) or completes an order. This is always good for a quick laugh.

One final bit - I learned a very easy finger code for card identification years ago...can't remember the book. It's so simple you can teach it to someone in five minutes. I share the code with interested servers and bartenders. They are now able to tell which freely chosen card I'm holding...or vice-versa...which makes for some great bar bets and segues.

:) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2977 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
GREAT POSTS SKIP. Some real nice ideas. Ever think of putting them in print?? Sounds like you have quite a few. Put me on your waiting list for your new book.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Quick, Hard-Hitting stuff for a waiter. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL