The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Which Speakers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
I need help on finding the right speakers for my shows. Most of my shows consist of living room shows for children's parties where a CD player is enough.
The last show I did was in a hall at a country club. I like working with a CD player because I can control the music right near me- all of my music is on a CD. I want to use a little larger sounds system, no mic. I want enough sound to fill a large hall or to be used on a stage. I also need a way to hook them to a CD player/boom box, or any way to play CDs.
Thanks,
Tyler
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Tyler,

You might want to look at an all-in-one PA System. If you're looking for one that runs off a battery (for outdoor shows), you might consider a Carvin StageMate. I use one of these on a daily basis and love it. This will allow you to use music from a simple Walkman type cd player by using a 1/8 mini-plug to RCA adapter. (Available at any electronics store, like Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.)

If you don't anticipate needing to run off batteries, a cheaper alternative is this all-in-one unit from Nady (I don't know anything about how good it sounds so you'll need to do some research on it - Musicians Friend has a 45-day money back guarantee)

Nady also makes a bigger and more powerful all-in-one unit (Again, I know nothing of the quality.)

The next step up is to go to a regular PA system that has two speakers and a mixer amp. The most popular of these is the Fender Passport series. The PassPort PD 150 gets great reviews (but costs quite a bit more)

There are also several other PA systems in the $200.00 range. You'll need to decide how much you want to spend, how big a set of speakers you want to transport and how good you want the music to sound. All things being equal, a speaker with a 12" woofer will sound better than one with a 10" woofer. Most bands want at least a 15" speaker. (The Passports use smaller speaker but they multiple speaker to make up for it.)
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I use the Yamaha MZ100 for small and medium shows and love it. I have even used it in my school show in a pinch and it filled the entire gymatorium.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5718 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use a Crate Limo amp - it has jacks to plug in a CD player, among other things.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I have 3 sound systems.

For birthdays and close-up shows of upto 40 people I use my own Magician's Portable Sound System. You cannot hook a CD player to this, but you could just use a separate boombox.

For larger groups upto 100 people, I use a Fender P10W.

For school shows and audiences bigger than 100 people, I use a Fender PD150.

I bought the dedicated headset microphone which works with both my Fender units. The receiver is built in to the amps which makes it extremely practical.

For remote control music I use an iPod Mini connectred to the AirClick remote (which works great!).

Best,
James
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
513 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Wow that good price on that stuff. I might have to look into that. thanks for sharing it
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
OK, I know this is going to sound
a bit odd because there are threads
for people asking about the system
but its a great system just for
any audio input like cd, tape etc etc.

P series: P-80, P150, P-250

I know its a regualar PA system, but
you can also use it just it is for
speakers. Plus its compact.

Between sets I will plug in my portable
CD player and play my CDs so that there
is always music heard.

I also use the system for mastering
and mixing purposes also.

They are dual purose and relatively
reasonably priced and compact.

There are now other companies making
compact PA, like Peavy, Nady and I
think one called eclipse. Definitely
worth looking into.

And you probably could get away with
using one powered speaker also. Mackie,
Samsom and some other companies manufacture
them.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use the PD-150 and am very pleased.
The anti-feedback circuitry works well.

the voice priority works well too.

sound is great.

I'm impressed.
Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I have a Fender Passport PD-250 and can't say enough about it. The only drawback is that it is fairly heavy for smaller shows. I'm considering purchasing a P-80 for those.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
There are two models of the PD-150:

Standard and Deluxe the Standard is only $499

Click Here!

I have used the Passport PD-250 for several years and love it. I use a strap on baggage cart to roll it around. It offers a lot of diversity.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
eztravlr
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of eztravlr
Extremely portable
Sets up in no time
Superior sound quality
No attenuation of sound
No more feed-back problems
Looks cooler than anything else out there

BOSE PAS - if you got the scratch

Click Here!
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Eztravlr,

Have you actually used the Bose system? If you have, I'd be interested to know if you thought this unit suitable for 400 kids in a school gym?

I couldn't find anywhere locally that sold it. Someone told me it is not suitable for larger school shows and is more suited for small bands doing coffee shop gigs.

Best,
James
eztravlr
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of eztravlr
I own two L1 Cylindrical Radiator Loudspeakers with the bass modules. The sound out of them can't be described in text. I used them this evening to play to a crowd of 500+. There is very little attenuation of sound. You could be six feet away or a hundred and six feet away, you pretty much hear the same levels. The clarity is incredible.

Is it for everyone? No. One unit runs $1999.00 so, even among musicians, only a few will invest in them. When I'm not using the PAS system, I'm using Mackie SRM 450's.

Locally it will be difficult to find retailers who carry them. I know Guitar Center carries them, otherwise you'd have to get them online.

Oh, by the way, I only used one PAS tonight in an open air environment with no problem.
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Does anybody have any experience with the P-80, I'am looking at buying one.

Thanks, Sam Pearce
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
If your talking about large halls you should also be talking about using a mic.
My vote goes to Fender Passport.
Daniel Faith
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Thanks for the info, eztravlr.

I am reluctant to spend $2,000 without hearing one in action. I'll keep a look out for them!

Sam...The P-80 looks to be almost the same size and weight as the P150. Why not get the more powerful amp - you can always turn it down!

Best,
James
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
I just got a show that will give me a coupple hundred dollars, so I think I will go with the P150, I'll let you know what I decide.

Sam Pearce

I'm from Canada, and I just figured out the conversion, and it would cost me 605.49 CAD, I don't know about this, it is a lot for me to spend on a system.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
802 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 18:36, samp321 wrote:
I just got a show that will give me a coupple hundred dollars, so I think I will go with the P150, I'll let you know what I decide.

Sam Pearce

I'm from Canada, and I just figured out the conversion, and it would cost me 605.49 CAD, I don't know about this, it is a lot for me to spend on a system.

Hey, Sam!
Have you checked Long & McQuade and Steve's Music? They're big music stores in downtown T.O. They're prices may make more sense than importing from the US.
Remember, too, that if you're not doing a lot of shows where you need to provide a PA, then you may be best to rent for a few gigs. That'll help you to make a more experienced decisio, and help make sure you spend your money wisely.
Dan.
Dan McLean Jr
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
174 Posts

Profile of magia355
I have the PD-250 and its a fantastic piece of equipment. It is easy to take appart and assemble. The compact style is great complement for those of us that are always on the move. And lets not forget the most important thing. The sound is GREAT! I attach my Laptop to it and that's it, Im ready. Good luck.
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
363 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
Hello Tyler

I'm a magic performer/lecturer and also have owned a magic shop in Michigan since 1974. At my shop we sell and rent lighting and sound equipment. I also do the lighting and sound at the FFFF convention in New York and I am one of the FFFF advisors. I don’t claim to have all of the answers but I do my best. If I don’t have it I will try and get you in touch with who does.

There is a system from Nady that I personally use (and sell) that is an all in one sound system. It has auxiliary in for a CD or MP3 player. It has auxiliary out so that you can patch it into an existing sound system or hook it up to an external speaker or mic. It has separate volume controls for CD and mic. It is battery operated with a built in charger and batteries and has a shoulder strap for walk-around. Even though you indicated that you do not need a mic, it also comes complete with a UHF wireless mic. The system is very loud, durable, and is so small it fits in my close-up case so I can even use it for walk-around performances. Now for the good news. The whole system with Nady warrantee is only $314.00

Please PM or e-mail me for information
Antony Gerard
PS: I have sold these to magicians, lecturers, haunted house operators, and street performers. If you contact me I can give you a few of their names as references. If you are not in a hurry for it I will be in the Tampa area late in December and could bring one down for you to look at.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Which Speakers? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL