The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tommy Wonder's Wild Card (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
378 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
Just a question.
Where can one get a set of cards to perform Tommy Wonder's "Wild card"?

Is the standard wild card set bicycle back? and how many sets would I have to buy in order to make Tommy's particular handling?

I saw on Hocus-Pocus that he was selling the beeper he uses in his routine. It said it comes with the deck used also. Does it include the 4 different card wallets with the 4 different iterations of the "Wild Card"? Thanks.
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
You need a whole deck set up for the routine, and you need some long cards mixed in there. I'd just have a deck custom made by someone, like Cards by Martin or something.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1207 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Sorry Paul, but its not my impression that you need a whole deck for this routine - and tTommy Wonder has no long cards mixed in (at least not in his DVD version)

To my information Tommy Wonders wild card routine uses a regular set of wild cards, take a look in both his book and DVD. You can go to hocus pocus and by "Wild card mix" by Aldo Colombini and/or "wild card" by Frank Garcia. As I remember it Tommy Wonder just added a regular card and a difference in handling.

Jan
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Per your advice I cracked open The Books of Wonder vol. 1 to page 183.

Tommy gets into the routine using a full deck which uses long-cards. Those were the cards I was thinking of, not the wild-cards themselves (I admit a little confusion on my part). I would assume that to be the "deck" referred to in the first post.

As for getting the specific wild-card sets you need, again, I'd assume (unless Tommy sells them) that you'd need to get them custom made.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1207 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Hi Paul,

I see, I only have the DVD version where he forces a card which is indifferent to the other cards and then he changes the other cards into the value and suit of the forced indifferent cards.

The wild cards used is a regular set to be bought with most wild card routines.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
In the book he uses a setup that allows him to perform multiple times at different tables, with a different outcome each time. Hence the need for multiple (custom made) wild-card sets.

some youtube videos
Richard Tremblay
View Profile
Regular user
Québec, Canada
118 Posts

Profile of Richard Tremblay
Vraagaard,

You may want to chexk your DVD again as I have both the books and the DVD and if my memory serves me well, in both case, he use a special deck that allows him to repeat the trick endlessly, without having to fumble to locate a card to be forced, etc. also, his wild card set in not the standard set. In any case, I will check that tonight just to be sure.

Regards.

Richard Tremblay
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1207 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Yes, I recall that he has a deck with a three force card set up in the deck that allows him to repeat the effect from table to table with different wild card combinations. So actually he walks around and forces a different card at different tables.

As for the wild cards he uses. I recall it as a regular wild card set-up with an extra regular card and some w.. to hold two cards together.

So all I recommended was to buy a regular wild card set, and you can add your own card to complete the set-up. Use any force you like but a 3 way forcing deck is a good Idea. However if you don't do table hopping, or if you don't care if you use the same force card every time - you can just have one wild card combination.

I might be wrong - so let us know when you check the DVD.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
Funny that this topic came to the top today as I just watched this routine on DVD last night with a view to putting it together. The forcing deck actually has 4 banks of force cards. All the cards are shortened with the exception of the bottom card of each force a bank which is a regular length to enable him to cut to it easier. With this in mind he has 4 wallets to enable him to repeat the trick at subsequent tables without a reset. Very clever thinking.

If I remember correctly the wild card set up is 4 regular JD's, 3 d/f's 4C/JD and a 4C with w** applied. Plus then the card chosen from the deck. This may not be exactly correct. The card chosen from the deck may be one of the regular JD's.

I was impressed by the routine Tommy uses. It had a real sense of drama and conflict.

What cards do you get in a "standard" wild card set?
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
toonomads
View Profile
Regular user
Albuquerque, NM, USA
172 Posts

Profile of toonomads
Neil Lester at Cards by Martin custom-made the 4-bank Tommy Wonder "Tamed Card" set for me. He is a great resource for people needing special cards and he is a real gentleman.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1207 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Quote:
On 2005-06-10 10:35, Martino wrote:
Funny that this topic came to the top today as I just watched this routine on DVD last night with a view to putting it together. The forcing deck actually has 4 banks of force cards. All the cards are shortened with the exception of the bottom card of each force a bank which is a regular length to enable him to cut to it easier. With this in mind he has 4 wallets to enable him to repeat the trick at subsequent tables without a reset. Very clever thinking.

If I remember correctly the wild card set up is 4 regular JD's, 3 d/f's 4C/JD and a 4C with w** applied. Plus then the card chosen from the deck. This may not be exactly correct. The card chosen from the deck may be one of the regular JD's.

I was impressed by the routine Tommy uses. It had a real sense of drama and conflict.

What cards do you get in a "standard" wild card set?

The Aldo Colombini Wild Card set I have came with 4C AND JD's for 10 USD at hocus pocus.

As for the 4 bank deck with short cards. You can only use this if you have 4 matching wild card sets and want to use it for walk around.

Personally I don't need 4 different wild card sets. I just use the same at every table and forces the same card every time. And by the way I don't perform the same tricks at the next table - I walk around with 3 sets of 4 tricks in my pockets, so you see I'm at least 4 tables away before I present the same routine again. Hence, I don't need 4 different wild card sets.

I Focus on the beautifull routine by Tommy Wonder instead, and not that I need a special 4 bank forcing deck or a expensive beeper like Tommy Wonder. Ask yourself if you want to walk around with 4 different wild card sets - or would you rather prefer to have room for other stuff in your pockets - instead you could have 1 wild card set, 1 color monte - 1 Michael Skinner 3 card monte and 1 Virginia city shuffle packet trick in that pocket instead. Well that my preference - you of course might have a totally different personal preference which is equally good or better.
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
I agree that in general you don't want to repeat a routine at two tables that are too close together.

But the tamed card routine seems to be designed by Mr. Wonder to be the exception to this rule. By changing the cards involved in the routine each time, you can increase the reaction from spectators who watch the routine more than once.

He said in the DVD when you perform magic in that way "you're damaging somebody's mind at this point"
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
alondon
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of alondon
What is the name of the wild card he does in the Books of Wonder?
Thank you
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
527 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
The tamed card, vol 1 p 179
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of snushy
The Tamed Cards set is available at card-shark.de
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Kassim
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Kassim
Asi winds version is great
dj
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2021, Kassim wrote:

Asi performed this here (31:20 mark):
https://youtu.be/VTXVrA8uK8s
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
991 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:

It's published?
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
Dutchie
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Dutchie
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2021, helder wrote:
Quote:

It's published?

He taught it on his Masterclass at Vanishing. Very nice.
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
527 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
I incidently watched the last trick Asi performs in the link provided by DJ- thanks a lot, btw!-, I assume it's not published as it's presented as brand new, but does somebody knows the gimmick used to make the deck getting thinner and thinner, ending with a single card- the choosen one?
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tommy Wonder's Wild Card (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL