The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Chicken production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I know Mike Caveny does a chicken production and I was wondering if anyone here has some experience doing one. I am considering it, but currently doing research as to what breeds are most docile, small size, etc... So, how about it, any chicken producers out there??
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Use the search function here on The Café and you will find several good posts. The oldest chicken in the world is Matilda and does magic. She has been on Leno lately.

The Bartons can be reached through Ring 35 (Magic City Magic Club) on the Internet.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7351 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
De Yip Louie used to use a couple of chickens as did Jack Gwyene. Louie's daughter Mai Ling posted her so she might be able to give you some general dope.

Sorry 4-H experience was limited to rabbits, sheep and cows.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
I use chickens in my act and I prefer the Silkies. Not only are they small but they are unusual and comical looking but they are of excellent temperament. I would go with them or possibly a bantam, which is one of the smaller breeds. Traveling state to state with some poultry can be tricky with the ag. departments due to some of your avian diseases.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Thank you Daktari. How is the temperment of the Bantams? Where your chickens easy to get used to the routine? Any special training routine you had for them?
Thanks,
Mark
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
Just re-reading the old posts and happened to chance on this one, since I use bantams in my act, I might be of help. even though I am already a couple of months late.

Bantams are just smaller chickens, with regards to their temperment no two are alike. on stage they look like normal sized chickens (people rarely notice the difference) so that's a plus for us. I load them on anything I can fit a rabbit into. and as a gag after producing it I keep it in a plastic KFC bucket/barrel (that have air holes of course) now if only I had an effect, with the bucket/barrel? any ideas?

My buddy/mentor/advisor LOU HILARIO used to have a dancing chicken in his act and it was HILARIOUS!!! (no pun intended)
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Magicmania, thank you for that post. Very informative..I was wondering what one might do after the production as well. Maybe you could tell more about how you started with the bantams...what training if any you did with them...their reactions first time in a show... Any potential problems or hassles with them..etc.
Thanks again.

Mark
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
I use bantams for the following reasons:

-because theyre funny (no offense to all the chickens and chicken lovers out there) but chickens are really funny just like bananas (again no offense to all the bananas and banana lovers out there) they have a lot of character.

-to add variety to my livestock production

-it fits my character better (comedy magic, bordering on crazy)

-and it "plays big and pack small" LOL!

the only problems I have encountered are:

-if you use a cock, it tends to crow a lot, specially when its already loaded, if they see even a little light from their load chamber, it makes them start crowing like crazy "how do you explain that to the audience? "it morning already? whoa? I didn't know my show took that long?" "time to get up everybody!" LOL! (its their nature) so now I only use the hen. but sometimes...

-and of course their special package, but unlike some doves that sometimes do "it" immediately after production, I never had this problem with my chickens (and hopefully I never will)

just like doves after production they are still stunned or shocked at first, from the transition from total darkness to very bright, so you wont have a problem there, just don't startle them too much.

maybe the only downside to it is if your chickens are not that well trained, its really hard to catch them if they get loose, specially during the show, but you can use this to your advantage if your doing comedy, remember stallone in "ROCKY"? but if your doing all that movement timed to the music stuff? forget it.

I always set my chickens loose in the yard and hand feed them so they are acustomed to touch.

and oh and never put two males together in one cage, I heard cockfighting is illegal in some states.

oops gotta go! time to feed the chickens.
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Wow, great information magicmanilia, Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Chicken production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL