The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » "Actor Proof" Yet Good Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

theaterfreak89
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of theaterfreak89
Hello all,
I am designing effects for a production of Sword in the Stone which opens in a month. The script calls for a jumbo card (king of hearts) production and a jumbo coin apperance/disappearence. I post this topic because I need a good, flashy method that can be learned by a semi-older ACTOR playing merlin.
Any input greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Nick
"...Now lift it up...over your head..."
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
LOL..Yeah, (from your picture), I can see you are the OLDER ACTOR?
Is this production going to be viewed by a large audience? If so, then Jumbo Coin and Card magic books such as: Thinging Big by Mark Munro and a DVD'on Card Act by Tony Clark should help you.
Good luck OLD MAN!
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Nick,
I have dealt with this kind of situation and I would advise you not to think in big magical terms but in simple staging terms. You can usually get an actor coached to a satisfactory degree with a pull in the costume or set. I also would try not to tip anything as far as "real" magic secrets or techniques. Dress things up as "blocking" not "moves" and think mechanical not skill. Good luck.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Same here. I was involved in a production of Godspell where the actors were required to do a few magical effects. We used a lot of mechanical effects that were almost self working. One of the actors had to make a scarf appear in a flash. I used thumb tips, tape, and velcro to make the effect work simply. Remember, the actors have to be able to concentrate on their lines and cues so the simipler you can make the magic for the actors the better.
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
Just let the actor to pull the card and coin from his(her) clothes for example while he is turning around... Not magical, but effect
"Truth without Magic does not exist" J.Faulz
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
If you are inside you could use black art.
POOF!
theaterfreak89
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of theaterfreak89
Black art would work, except that this will be theater-in-the-round :/
"...Now lift it up...over your head..."
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
For the coin go with Big Coins by Michael P. Lair it is great and very very easy to learn and perform http://www.lairmagic.com.

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » "Actor Proof" Yet Good Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL