The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Cases For Ventriloquist Dolls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Do you guys use special cases for your ventriloquist dolls when performing? If so what do you use, and where could I find them?

Thanks,
Gideon
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
580 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I have a special case for my hard figure, dodger. The soft figures usually go in my prop trunk or the special case if I'm not using Dodger. The case is from Maher Studios and costs $150. You could make one yourself cheaper but for me the time and labor are not worth it.
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
Gideon,
Many years ago I had a book which show you how to make your own case out of a foot locker that Kmart,or about any store sell. You line it with foam rubber at any thicken you want. You can make kind of strap out of foam and this can go over your figure head as you lock his feet in place ,therefore holing the head in place.
I have had the same case for 25 years and the same figure in it and he still look like new.
Alson
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I bought one of the Maher cases for my first figure, I bought it unlined, and lined it myself. And somewhere along the way, I had bought another figure that came with one of those. I do like those best because they are just the right size and are lightweight. But I personally found them to be a bit much price wise.
So I searched all over trying to find someone who made something similar in the right sizes, and it was not happening, I could not find any anywhere, either trunks like those, or suitcases that were close enough to the right size..

At some point, someone sent me instructions on how to make a Maher style case, which I never tried, and as I recall, I wasn't even sure the instructions were complete.

I did try making my own case out of wood, the inside was cushioned all around with two inches of foam rubber, and then lined with soft glove leather, brass corners, hinges, handles and clasp for the outside. On the lid, I woodburned a picture of myself and Scotty, (my main figure before I got Hannibal), in fact, the picture I'm using as my avatar here is the one I burned on the trunk.
I was very pleased with myself, it was the perfect size, super protective and it looked great, here's a small pic that doesn't do it justice;

There was just one little drawback - it was too stinkin' heavy! It was such a tank to carry, I ended up getting a folding handcart for it.
Needless to say, that didn't last.
I keep my Hartz figure in there now, and if I want to take him someplace, I swap him with one of the other figures and use their case for the trip.
Oh well....

I tried the thing of using one of those dept store footlockers, but those really are way, way too big and bulky.
After that, I just started hunting for older suitcases at garage sales, etc., I found there are a lot of older ones that seem to be the perfect size or close enough to it, but it does take some searching.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Cases For Ventriloquist Dolls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL