The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » The Ten Commandments for Magic Buyers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Hi..

I'm new to these forums and have decided, on my very first visit and very first post to add my thoughts to the ten commandments for magic dealers posted here...

A bit about me...I'm a veteren performer of over 20 years...I began my career as a Juggler and Ventriloquist, over the years I have added singing, fire-eating, and just recently, Magic...

Understand, however, that I have been around magic for a very long time, more of an avid fan and insider, but not a performer....That changed about 3 months ago when I went to work for a chain of magic shops here in Branson...We have 3 shops in the 3 largest and most popular tourist spots in this city...I will perform for roughly 3-4 million guest this season and our shops are VERY high volume at times...

In short, and NOT to be egotistical at all, I'm familiar with the life.

So here they are, my take on dealer/buyer relationships:

The Ten Commandments of the Magic Buyer

1. A magic shop is a place of business, not a club-house...Please don't expect to be allowed to hang out in the shop for hours at a time. While it is cool to have a break in the day and talk magic with friends and customers, there is work that has to be done.

2. This is a magic SHOP, not a magic SHOW...Please don't expect for me to show you every trick in the shop.

3. This is a magic shop, not a babysitting service...Please don't leave your children in my shop while you go shopping in the other stores in the mall/park.

4. Signs that read: "Please Do Not Touch" actually DO mean you TOO...I don't really care how long you've been in the business, if I don't want something messed with, please respect that.

5. If I have to back-order something for you AND I include an estimated delivery date AND I keep you abreast of any developments that may delay shipping, PLEASE don't call every day in between those times on the off-hand chance it might have come in early...Trust me, I gain NOTHING by 'holding out on you'...When it arrives, it goes out the door.

6. Please do not think that it is alright for you to interfere with other customers or attempt to hijack a trick I am demo'ing with your own version/routine/perspective/etc...This is my livelihood, not your stage.

7. Please do not expect me to allow you to 'borrow' large display illusions I have in my shop for a show that you have booked...Work, scrimp, and save as I did so you can have your very own prop.

8. Please do not come into my shop and discuss other magic shop's prices/policies/atmosphere/etc in front of other customers...This is, in my opinion, very rude.

9. Soliciting customers for your own business (Birthday magic shows, etc) is not professional...I will display your picture (with contact info) and I will always recommend quality entertainers to those who inquire...In not so polite terms, the magic shop is not the place to pimp your show.

10. Please DO remember that we need each other...I need your business to keep the roof over my head and shop and to live, you need me to provide you with the tools necessary to work your Art and make a living as well.

I'm truly grateful to have found this site and look forward to getting to know all of you...I hope that this post is taken in the sense in which it was written...Fair play and profit for all...

Keep the magic alive.

Professor Piper: The Singing, Juggling, Fire-Eating, Magical, Ventriloquist.
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Probably the best first post ever on this forum. There is lots of usefull information here . Thank you.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Thank you for the reply and compliment!! Had a pretty slow day at the shop today...Home early for a change!!

Peace,

Professor Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
That's quite a list. You must have a lot of problems in the shop. People like helping people, so the best way everyone in your town can help you is by getting there magic on the Internet.

You'll lose your shop, but those 10 problems will vanish!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
magicsojourn
View Profile
New user
Bristol, PA
24 Posts

Profile of magicsojourn
MagicChris:

Are you a hobbyist, a performer or the masked magician?
John Bodner
Genesis 26:3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you, and will bless you. For to you, and to your seed, I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath which I swore to Abraham your father.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-12-28 12:23, magicsojourn wrote:
MagicChris:

Are you a hobbyist, a performer or the masked magician?

When you have 100 posts, ask again.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » The Ten Commandments for Magic Buyers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL