The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » Magic Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matthew Bennett
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
79 Posts

Profile of Matthew Bennett
I want to write a new birthday party show to include my wife in the shows. I want to be an "inept magician" who can't make the tricks work, and my wife the "lowly assistant" (pardon the term) who is actually the only one of us who knows what's going on. She will be the one to make the magic happen.

Does anyone know where I can find a routine like this for sale, so I can get some ideas? I have a few, but I would like to have a good solid base for this, since I have never written a two person show before.

Has anyone ever seen an act like this? How was it? Did the kids like it?

Any other advice? I would LOVE to hear your comments on this.
Matthew A Bennett

fixmytricks.com

twitter.com/matthewabennett
facebook.com/matthew.alan.bennett
Matthew Bennett
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
79 Posts

Did I post this in the wrong place?
Matthew A Bennett

fixmytricks.com

afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Matthew,

This can be the right place ... unfortunatly, unlike our counterparts the "Standup Comic" magicians don't write and sell acts like what you already have a great start on. Comics do this sort of thing a lot. My suggestion is, take what you've got and run with it. I noticed your up in Louisville, they are a lot of really good magicians in your area that I bet will be more than happy to help and guide you. Just remember that taking an assistant into a birthday market will be added expence to you and you to pass along to your customers. Pricing can be a ticky thing when it comes to this sort of thing. Good luck and follow your idea, it's a great one.

Robert Jones
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
Matthew Bennett
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
79 Posts

Thanks, Robert. I appreciate the words of encouragement, and that is exactly what I will do, "take it and run with it". Since my wife is going to be my assistant, I wouldn't charge any extra so my prices won't go up. I appreciate you, thanks!
Matthew A Bennett

fixmytricks.com

pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
You don't have to change your entire show from the getgo. You can change just the beginning. You can come out and bungle a bit for some comedy byplay, and your wife/assistant can "fix" it so that you have your magic powers restored somehow with her input. Then you can perform the rest of the act as usual. This involves much less effort and expense than changing your entire act. Plus, it is more original than stealing someone else's material. See how this goes over with your audience. Do you get a better response? If so, keep it going. Perhaps later in the show you again lose your powers and need your assistant to restore them...this could ultimately be a running gag. But start slowly. If the thing bombs from the start, maybe it's not in your chemistry with your wife to put this scenario in your act.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » Magic Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL