The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Something Brewing in Appleton Wisconsin This October. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I just got word of Something Possibly Taking Place in Appleton Wi. this October anyone have any more info on this ? Don,
Bretigan
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee
102 Posts

Profile of Bretigan
X-treme is doing his WEAR escape. Is that it?
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Fire the curator of the Houdini museum? Try to get back the members they lost?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
LOL Kevin! That would be a feat Houdini would be proud of!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I think Bretigan is Correct but Dates have TBA yet
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Hi guys,

The museum no longer has the membership program, they got rid of it in Oct. last year.

Yes Don, I am doing WEAR up there. The TBA dates are for the three lectures that I'm doing there as well and will post more when I can on those.

I'va also gotten word that Chris Cochren is working on a Halloween with Houdini, I will find out more on that when I can.

Thanks for your excitement Don.

Take Care,
Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Easy to stop the membership program when the members resigned well ahead of them stopping their membership program. They lost many fine members and donations. Amazing how things can go so bad, so quickly. It reminds of the two people who drove the Houdini Broken Wand Ceremony into the ground, sort of speak. Another nice tradition on the scrap heap.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hey Kevin, which Broken Wand ceremony is that? If it's the one at the gravesite in Queens, we still do it every year. I've been in attendance for the last 5 years.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Tony,

The one they used to have on Halloween every year. The guy from the cemetery and the one from the SAM knocked heads and tradition was broken. It was around 1993. The guy from the cemetery was looking for money and the SAM went the cheap route. Impass. Tradition over.

Someone came up with the idea to do it according to the date on the Jewish calender, but it's just not quite the same thing.

Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Kevin, I know what you mean about changing the dates. I must say that I was a bit disappointed myself. I was told by a member of the SAM that the reason that they changed the date was that the Holloween event became such a media circus that it took away from the dignity of the event. There were droves of people there, some in Halloween costumes, magicians doing magic tricks, and reporters making tongue in cheek remarks. Nowadays it's just a small group of loyal Houdini enthusiasts, the current SAM president and a Jewish Rabbi for a short, dignified ceremony. But it does go on every year without fail, and I haven't missed one for about 5 years. I haven't heard the story about the cemetary director and the SAM bumping heads, but I know that there has been tension in the past and I must say that hearing this doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the info.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

The media circus I don't understand. The Paernt Assembly used to issue press releases so the media would show. As for without fail, I know of at least one year it was skipped completely. In my opinion, any other date, other than Haloween, is a miss too.

Another one I can't understand was changing the name of the Houdini Hospital fund. Houdini was the guy that started it, with his money. The most famous name in magic and they dropped it. To me, that's The Master Mystery.

Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

MikeandChris
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of MikeandChris
Many, many people have asked me if the Houdini Days Magic Festival in Appleton, Wisconsin will occur in 2005. Sadly, the answer is “no”.

In case you are not aware, on the last day of the 2004 Festival (September 6, 2004), I was in a car accident that resulted in both of my legs being crushed. A few operations later, I now have 17 screws, two plates, and a rod holding my legs together. In the past ten months, I have been in rehab and physical therapy to learn to walk again. This intensive rehabilitation required that my focus be redirected from organizing the Festival to my recovery.

Other parties were contacted to inquire as to their interest in organizing the Festival. Understandably, none were willing to bear the significant financial risk associated with holding a world-class event. Inevitably, the result was that the 2005 Houdini Days Magic Festival was not going to occur.

The good news is that the burning interest for magic in “Houdini’s Hometown” caused me to come out of retirement and organize an evening event called: “Halloween with Houdini”.

Nine magicians and escape artists (Mike Schroeder, Trevor Motycka, Marv Roth, Bruce Hetzler, Danny Magic, Lou Lepore, Lee Haushalter, Stephen Weis, and Nate Nygren) will perform at this family-friendly show, whose proceeds will benefit the Fox Cities Children’s Museum.

Immediately following the Halloween with Houdini stage show, Mike Schroeder will attempt Shackled & Submerged - an underwater escape. Mike’s wrists and ankles will be shackled and he will be submerged underwater in the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel’s pool. Mike will have to free himself from his restraints before he runs out of breath!

Mike Schroeder is attempting Shackled & Submerged as part of The Worldwide Escape Artist Relay (WEAR). This Guinness World Record challenge will feature escape artists from around the world attempting various escapes all within a 24 hour time period.

Details:
Date: Saturday, October 29, 2005
333 West College Avenue, Appleton, Wisconsin
Time: 6pm – Doors Open – Extreme Close-up Magic
7pm – Halloween with Houdini Stage Show
Tickets: $5 General Admission – available at the door

Thank you in advance for your interest.

Chris Cochrane
crcmagic@aol.com
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Congrats guys,

When Stephen called me about the event yesterday, I thought it was great! If the time is different then my WEAR event I'll be there to help out or watch.

See you boyos in August.

Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
Sounds like a good show! (laughs at self). We have been planning this show for a while now and can't wait to perform at this event. Hope I see you their!

- Lee H.
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
It's good to see you posting Chris, I hope you're doing better these days and we all hope for a Houdini Days 2006 if possible. Best of luck to Mike in his underwater escape. Hope to see both of you again soon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Something Brewing in Appleton Wisconsin This October. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL