The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Frequency of work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
Hi everyone. I understant most people here have a good experience of working in restaurant, and as that's what I am aiming to do, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
I am still a student right know so the typical hourly fee that has been discussed in other threads sounds very good Smile, but I am wondering if one can get employed just for a few nights, say two per weeks. As a said I am still studying and at this time, am not sure if magic will be my primary activity or not. Also 3 times a year I intend to leave for about a month.
SO my question is, is it reasonable to expect a manager to hire you with such a flexible timetable?
Thanks in advance
Nick
"Poetry is the Magic of Lies,
Magic is the Poetry of Lies" - Jean Cocteau
q
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of q
Probably depends on the type of restaurant. Probably a single restaurant where the owner is the manager making decisions would be more leinent because it's small and he can make all the decisions.

While as a chain restaurant the manager may not be flexible depending on chain rules, ect.

But, If you show talent, people sometimes go out of their way for you.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Two nights a week is not an unreasonable situation.
In fact, the number will vary anywhere from one to seven!
The month off at a time may be a little different; management might go for it, if it's during their slow period. Just be sure you have a job to come back to!
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
There is no reason to believe that your schedule cannot be worked out, but don't mention it to the manager until he is ready to hire you.

If you mention a potential problem prior to his deciding to invite you to perform, it may make a yes decision into a no decision.

Once your invited to perform let the manager know about your conflict in needing off at certain times. Assure him that you will have another magician available to take your place during your absence. Make sure your replacement will be up to the standards of the establishment, however, don't get anyone that's much better than you or he might end up with your job & you will be out the door.
EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
Thanks for your support. I'll probably go sometime soon hit on the door of a few restaurants see if I can start a magician career while finishing my degree... Smile
"Poetry is the Magic of Lies,
Magic is the Poetry of Lies" - Jean Cocteau
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
Nick,

As Peter said the month off might be the difficult bit but if you can recommend someone to stand in for you (and they need to be good and dependable) then you can get away with it.

1 or 2 nights a week is probably more likely what you will get in this country (UK)with one resturant, obviously if you work different venues then you will be working more, but I can't speak for other countries.

I had and have just lost due to management changes a Sunday lunchtime contract 2 hours every Sunday at my local Hilton nice little earner but gone I am afraid. It is a case of knocking on doors.

Good luck

Scott
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Yes it is possible. You just need to let him know in advance if you will leave.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Frequency of work (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL