The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Raven's Slates (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
mk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of mk
Any feedback on Docc Hilford's new product? Check it out at Hocus-Pocus - http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
584 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

All I will say is that Docc used Raven's Slates during his special séances at our farewell weekend of The Haunted Chamber, and he blew us all away with them. I have created and performed way too many séances to count since 1976, but I will never forget the reaction that Docc got from the sitters when they began to hear the chalk writing on the slate. It was great.

Simply put, I use them.

Keep the change,
Rick Maue
Deceptions Unlimited
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Here's a more precise link for those interested:
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/pro......tem=5977
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magickdabid--uk
Yum yum!..................

I want.............no NEED!.

thanks for the link.

Dave
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Time to start saving up!!!!!!!!!!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1278 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I was at one of the seance's that Rick mentioned. The way Docc presented them, I would swear that a spirit had taken hold of the chalk and was writing out a message.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2920 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
These slates, in hands of someone like Darren Brown, will create miracles. In the hands of a lesser performer, like some one that would use them to reveal the name of a card, they will be a complete waste of something beautiful.
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magickdabid--uk
Lets pray to all the Gods above & below that He doesn't get hold of them then!.

Us mortals need to do Miracles aswell you know.....................

Dave
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Holy smack that sounds beautiful......

Now I need to save up too!

wow....that would go killer as the finale to the serial killer effect I am improving upon........
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
A little history for those who want to know when the young spirt they are asking ...

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/publicschool/evo......ate.html
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1309 Posts

Profile of Jerry
The statement "the magician never moves" is too general for me. What, never moves any of his fingers? If he doesn't move, why hold it all? Put it on the table. I would have to see this performed in person. I am tired of seeing long list stating disclaimers of possible workings, then it turns out it was one the items, but its discription is removed enough for plausible denial. The magician never moves his body; arms; hands. After buying Docc's Seance book (a real disappointment for me). I would have to see this in person before I throw $200.00 bucks at a pair of slates with a simple gimmick.

Jerry
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1743 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I was one of the sitters at the fair well weekend for the Haunted Chamber. These slates are amazing. I use them, hands down. I used to hate slate effects. These get a HUGE impact. Every statement that is made on the ad copy is true.

The most amazing thing is, the chalk that you place between the boards is the same chalk the sitters hear writing on the board. There is nothing added or taken away with these slates. They're simply amazing. This isn't hype. I was disappointed to see these go up for sale to the public.
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
Well, the ad copy states that the slates are placed on the table and leaned up against a glass.

"The slates are set on edge and leaned against a glass. A single piece of chalk is placed between the two boards. When the mage extends his finger toward the slates and makes the slightest contact, THE CHALK BEGINS TO WRITE! The audience hears each letter being formed between the slates. They hear the looping of the letters, the crossing of “T”s and the dotting of “I”s. The mage doesn’t move at all during the process; not even his finger! The sound of the writing comes from the slates and the actual chalk between them. The outside slate is removed and written in chalk on the second slate is a lengthy message."

So I would conclude the the Mage is NOT holding the slates.

This sounds like something I can use for the haunted house show I am putting together. I won't be doing it this year, but probably the year after, I want to make sure I have everything worked out 110%, and don't belive I will have the time to get the show where I want it to be this year. I have to make animatronic skulls and program them, script and block the show, ect. ect..

I may have to get these.
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
Shnarker
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
89 Posts

Profile of Shnarker
Drs_Res & Jerry,

I also was in attendance at the Seance. The seance itself was an unbelieveable experience. The slates were killer. Not a "typical" handling. Docc was phenominal. These slates will take your presentation to the next level. Worth the investment if you are into that type of revelation.

"These slates, in hands of someone like Darren Brown, will create miracles. In the hands of a lesser performer, like some one that would use them to reveal the name of a card, they will be a complete waste of something beautiful."

I couldn't agree more.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2920 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Before people start throwing their money around and end up ****ed off because the slates don't fit their exact needs, let's talk about the slates are and are not.

First off, they don't look like traditional school slates. They are two pieces of what looks like gray/black slate material.

Second, you stand them up on their edge and prop them up against something or put them in a small table top easel. The chalk is put between the slates and the magician touches the top edge of the slates.

The sound of the chalk "writing" is rather subtle and will be lost in a large or noisy room. The audience must be focused on the slates for the sound to be heard and the illusion to be effective.

If you have the right environment, such as a home seance or small theater show, the slates will be a something people will remember.

I hope this confuses the issues a bit less.
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
This might come off as an obvious question but can the slates write anything?

and

Does it take a lot to set up that word there? Will I need a forced word?

thanks.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2920 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
You can write anything on the slates, but what you write is something that has to be set up before the show. Therefore, we are talking a little preparation if you need the slates for a revelation effect.
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Thnaks todd , I still feel Ima get em.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I'm curious why they weren't made to look like tradiional slates - was that just a aesthetic decision, or is basically impossible to do, based on how it works ?

In terms of price, these are not outrageously priced at all - much more tradtional slates can be found at around $170 or so, and do less. (I speak of the Dave Powell slates, but no offense intended)
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1309 Posts

Profile of Jerry
What do these slates look like? Mr.Robbins stated that the appearance of non traditional school slates. Are they just slates with no framing? Or is it modern framing (as in metal as oppose to wood). Could a frame be added? That for me, would be a hard sale. The audience would look at "old school" chalk board slates with less questions, as they actual did exist. Why no picture? The add states "When the mage extends his finger toward the slates and makes the slightest contact, THE CHALK BEGINS TO WRITE!" The magicain does make contact. I need to see this performed or have more details than the add is offering. I had an interest in magic for over 25 years and I am tired of getting my wallet burned. I really wish there was a local magic shop that supported, well more magic! Jack should call his shop HOUSE OF CARDS. Because that's mostly what he has. I am trying not to sound like I am whining (although reads like I am) but I am just really careful when I buy magic. And there just not enough info here.

Jerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Raven's Slates (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL