The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What is Your Favorite Effect to Perform? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Joe Stone
View Profile
New user
Wood Green, London, UK
61 Posts

Profile of Joe Stone
If you want to put a smile on someone's face, you can't go wrong with a d'lite..(or two)
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
My favourite one I use for close-up has got to be "You Do As I Do" and my best stage one is my silent linking rings Routine.

Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cal
128 Posts

Profile of milamber
Ambitious Card Routine (with 'PaperClipped' as the ending)
Torn (torn and restored card effect)
A Dream of Aces (a version of MacDonald's Aces)
Sh4de (a 4 coin matrix)
Ghost Bills (by Andrew Mayne)
Crazyman's Handcuffs
maiglesias
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of maiglesias
The Professor's Nightmare
The ABC Blocks
Chronologue
Marcos Iglesias MD
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1336 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Magic in the spectator's hands has always been met with amazement. So my favorites are :
1)spongeballs (or spongerabbits which I performed at a baby shower)
2) doc daleys last trick
3)svengali deck trick where their card and your card change places
and others of that category.
however magicman 845, you are asking more about the special pet projects (not close up?). A 'pet project' of mine (only in the mind) is to perform Houdini's metamorphosis in a modern setting. Can the plot and preparation be changed so that I could do it with minimum floor space, etc? This is an old routine; but I think it still has a lot of potential.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
My own version of Aldo Colombini's Snappy.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Bill Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Bill Thomas
I like a good card to wallet routine,
C/S/B

As many other effects come and go, these have always stayed with me.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The one effect that really makes me feel like a magician is the cups and balls. I've spent so much time and effort making the routine my own. I relish every reaction that the spectators give me during a performance and I just can't wait to perform them every chance I get.

The only difficulty for me though, is that I often perform parlour type shows for young children and the cups and balls don't fit nicely into my act. So, I don't get as many opportunities as I would like to perform this favourite effect.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1336 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I understand your original question more clearly now, magicman 845. I also perform for children (often kindergartners), even though I really love the card tricks. However I do perform things like color changing deck, etc for them. This is just a thought, but some magicians use live small animals in their cups and balls routines. (Lance Burton uses a white mouse named Petey, eg .... also I saw an Egyptian magician on tv use live baby chicks for his routine!) possible?
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
I love performing Sankey's Back in Time. It always kills, and it's fun to do. Best of all, it requires no setup and the only sleight is a DL.

-Dave
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
I think the effect that I enjoy performing the most is the REAL floating card, simply because it looks as cool and impressive to me as it does to the spectators, and I don't have to worry about any really complicated moves or sleights. That said, I love doing any card effects that really blow people's minds. People's reactions when they are truly amazed are the main reason I enjoy doing magic.
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Cant remember where I read it or if I read it (and if anybody knows it please do tell me so I can mention it here) but I know I did it lol! was walking with my gf when we had this mushy moment, and I simply told her that she literaly makes me fly off the ground she gave me a cheeky smile and we kissed and as we did I "lifted" off the ground...wish I had someone video taping it you should've seen her eyes!! KILLER EFFECT! (elevator!!) I know it's kinda personal, but still one of my favorites ever! (it's all about magic right?)
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Muggers
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Muggers
Ha! That's classic! I may have to steal that one....
Herrick, Jeff
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Herrick, Jeff
Micro-Macro is my absolute favorite, it just puts the audience in their place, by that I mean they don't try to figure anything out anymore, they just enjoy the show.
Jefdgj( Sorry holding baby ) Jeff
I'm not looking to be a big star in magic
and that's working out REALLY good so far.
dark kard
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
142 Posts

Profile of dark kard
The trick I like to perform the most seems to change all the time but the one I go back to most is acrobatic aces. Simple easy and hits hard.
"flying is easy all you have to do is miss the ground" Douglas Adams
<BR>dark kard
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Right now, my fav. effect is Jay Sankey's Color Blind. Totally self-working and easy to do. The effect really hits hard and seems so impossible. Color Blind does not use cards and it's in Jay's Greatest Hits.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cal
128 Posts

Profile of milamber
Another effect that I've done quite a bit recently is the "2 Card Monte" created by Blaine.

Ok,I'm joking, but you should have seen the look on your face! LOL

Seriously, I always get a good reaction when I perform the 2CM (I do the switch going from Aces to Jokers).

I've also been working on more impromptu non-card related material and have had great reactions with "Pinnacle" and "Ringlink Bros" (following CMH). The latter is an effect by Daniel Garcia and is the same as the first two phases of "Rubbermaid" that appears on vol. 1 of his new DVD series.

I've also been doing "Clipped" by Daniel Garcia, which is a visual melt/bend of a paperclip that appears in his lecture notes "NEXT", it has super easy handling and I always get a good reaction at my office.

/M
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Well, looks like you got your DGP dvds real fast. I still haven't rec'd mine. Did you order from Daniel directly?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cal
128 Posts

Profile of milamber
By the way the paperclip effect is called "ClipTrip"... (not "Clipped", don't know what I was thinking).

"Well, looks like you got your DGP dvds real fast. I still haven't rec'd mine. Did you order from Daniel directly?"

Actually I learned the effects from his lecture notes, not the DVDs. However, I am working on a few things from the DVDs as well. Smile

I pre-ordered the DVDs from Hocus Pocus and received them on Monday.

Steve
sayer
View Profile
New user
Czech Republic
64 Posts

Profile of sayer
Starry eyed surprise
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What is Your Favorite Effect to Perform? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL