The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Assassin Card Sword by Docc Hilford (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
Im fairly new to the Café so hello to everyone. I am thinking of buying the new Assassin Card Sword by Docc Hilford (available from hocus-pocus.com for $350).

The effect for those who don't know is throwing a pack of cards in the air and stabbing the selected card. This new one can be done with a signed card and the sword, which can be any sword you like, can be examined.

ive always liked this effect and have used a standard card sword before but this new version sounds great, but maybe a little to good to be true. Does anyone know if it's any good, would love to hear some opinions before I buy it. also the ad says there are only a limited number being made. anyone know how many?

Thanks
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
403 Posts

Profile of ritty360
It will only be good if you use it. I think it is a bit hyped. Why do you need an examinable card sword?

The best version I have seen is to take two authentic chopsticks and stab those into the air.
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
403 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Let me add. If you have a good use for it, then go for it. Don't get something just to get it.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Ritty360,

can I ask more info on what you consider the best version? Any hints to continu my research?

If you have in mind the Carney routine, yes I agree this one is very clever and one of the gems perform by Carney!

Thanks for your time and read you soon

Kuffs
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
403 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Kuffs,

YOu hit the nail on the head with that post! Carney's is great! I can't remember if that is in Book of Secrets of Carneycopia. Anyway, both publications (especially Book of Secrets) are worth thier weight in gold.

I am sure that Docc's methond is good. However, keep in mind what you are paying for is the sword for the most part. The gimmick is interesting though. I would never use the part where the knife sticks in the ceiling with the signed card. That would never fly with a paying customer. For most of us, card on ceiling ticks off a client! Can you imagine this!?!?!

Anyway, I wish you all the best in your exploration.

Andy
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3904 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On 2005-06-17 09:13, ritty360 wrote:
I would never use the part where the knife sticks in the ceiling with the signed card. That would never fly with a paying customer. For most of us, card on ceiling ticks off a client! Can you imagine this!?!?!

Andy

Don't worry, it also comes with a bucket of spackle.

I tend to agree with your comments. You are certainly paying more for the sword than the gimmick. I cannot imagine any spectator being allowed to examine a sword anyway. Lance Burton uses the Owen's Card Sword for many years and I am sure not a single spectator has ever grabbed the sword to look at. While it is nice and clever to have a signed card stuck on teh tip of a sword or knife, I think it is more dramatic to have three cards, even though they are unsigned, stuck on the sword. It makes a nicer and more dramatic display. If you want a signed card on a knife routine, there are several methods available that allow this that are a lot cheaper than $350.00.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
Thanks for the info, I will check out both of Carney's books.

I agree that the idea of the knife on the ceiling is crazy, imagine if you didn't throw it right and it fell down! Maybe it would be a good stage effect if you had a target board and threw it at that.

As for using it, I think I would. I collect swords and have always wanted to use some of them in my act. It does sound like the sword is the reason for the high price. I wonder if the gimmick/instructions are available without the sword. Anyone know how I could contact Docc Hilford for an answer.
Vinnythemagician
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Vinnythemagician
Quote:
On 2005-06-16 15:29, MagicMcQuade wrote:
Im fairly new to the Caf?so hello to everyone. I am thinking of buying the new Assassin Card Sword by Docc Hilford (available from hocus-pocus.com for $350).

The effect for those who don't know is throwing a pack of cards in the air and stabbing the selected card. This new one can be done with a signed card and the sword, which can be any sword you like, can be examined.

ive always liked this effect and have used a standard card sword before but this new version sounds great, but maybe a little to good to be true. Does anyone know if it's any good, would love to hear some opinions before I buy it. also the ad says there are only a limited number being made. anyone know how many?

Thanks

DON'T BUY THIS TRICK!!! It is NOT worth 350.00. Not to give the secret away but, I don't think this is very pratical. I just purchased it yesterday and I believe this is one of the worst methods ever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Assassin Card Sword by Docc Hilford (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL