The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Brick & Mortar Magic Shops, an endangered species? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I do a lot of "window shopping" on the net. I purchase what I can locally. If I can't find it locally, and the local shop can't get it -- which is the case with certain manufacturers -- I'll order it over the phone. Usually, I go to one of two shops that are either bricks and mortar shops or used to be bricks and mortar shops.

I seldom order over the net. There are too many disappointments.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I had a dream once that I'd like to open a B&M. Hearing about how Tannen's began discouraging magicians from "hanging around" and showing off to each other, I'd like to make a place like a den or study where you could come in and chat with each other and maybe buy a deck or a trick glass. And I'd give it a mascot for the advertising and catalog sorta like Vic Lawson's old monkey Pumpernickle!

Oh well, when I win the lottery!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Mandrake01, Are there any magic shops in Providence? One would think with it being a state capital and all there'd be at least one. If not, maybe you should really consider it.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quite often, the state capital is not as large a city as some of the others. For example, Sacramento is not as large as many other California towns. As far as I can determine, there is no magic shop in Sacramento.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
Used to be one in Sac,
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
And...?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

RichieB
View Profile
New user
Southport, UK
32 Posts

Profile of RichieB
Magic4you2c is one for all you British out there. I has a very friendly atmosphere with staff that are both very friendly and very knowlegable also. Check out the website on http://www.magic4you2c.co.uk

They even order in props especially, if you want them and they don't have them.
BTW, love brick and mortar shops, they ROCK!!!
Magic is a Tricky Business

Richard Baxter
Xtreme @ 16
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ever been to Davenport's or International Magic Studios?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Quote:
On 2006-07-17 14:18, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quite often, the state capital is not as large a city as some of the others.

Right, but we're talking Rhode Island, here. I think there could be some cities larger than the entire state. . .
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
No magic shops in Providence. No money in the bank to finance a magic shop. *cy* But thanks for your support.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
And...?
nothin I am not sure but I think it is still there, your point, Bill, is valid, not all state capitols are the largest city in that state and so does not mean it would be the best place to look for a magic store. Just saying I think your example was possibly wrong.
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There's one about nine miles outside of Sacramento.

The fact about state capitals is that most of them are not the largest town in the state. Harrisburg PA, Albany NY, DesMoines IA, Austin TX, are all good examples of towns that are not the biggest town in the state, but are state capitals.

Austin is an odd town. It has a huge base of musicians, all of whom will work for food, lots of magicians, most of which work kid shows, and only one magic shop.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

calamari
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
The Bay Area at one time had 7 or 8 stores now its down to 4 and the one at pier 39 probably wont last long as others have tried and failed on the Warf and 39 before(it is just to expensive to survive)
the 3 left after that would be in San Francisco (Mis Directions) and Martinez (California Magic) and Cal Magic is focusing more on their Dinner Theater although the magic shop is still open. and the one in Santa Rosa that I have never been to.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-07-18 11:07, calamari wrote:
And...?
nothin I am not sure but I think it is still there, your point, Bill, is valid, not all state capitols are the largest city in that state and so does not mean it would be the best place to look for a magic store. Just saying I think your example was possibly wrong.

I think Providence probably IS the largest city in Rhode Island. That doesn't mean they're going to have a magic shop! (We got special dispensation from the SAM <and> the IBM to combine the clubs into one (The Rhode Island Societies of Magic) because the headquarters of both clubs realized there wasn't enough membership to support both of the separately.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That was providential, indeed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

robert bianchi
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of robert bianchi
Quote:
Right, but we're talking Rhode Island, here. I think there could be some cities larger than the entire state. . .

Went to school in RI, and knew by your post (first without looking at where you were from) that the person who wrote it was from Mass. Not that that is bad, but when I was in college in RI, that was all I heard from people from Mass. Is this a standard State "sibling dispute and/or joke???

Also, don't forget that RI is the "biggest little State in the union." i.e., it is quality and not quantity. Or, does size matter???

Bob
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
716 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Hmmm...I'm jumping into the middle of this thread, but let me say this about NYC...

NYC has four shops (Tannen's, Fantasma, and two other places that carry magic as incidentals). I've only shopped at Tannen's and Fantasma. A few years ago I went to Tannen's and was offered up the classic Bait and Switch scam. I walked out. I went back recently because I'd heard the managment changed, but, lo and behold, the moron who tried to scam me was still behind the counter. I'll never go back.

Fantasma? It's slick. It's hip. But I went there recently, and, no offense to the two folks who were there, but one guy was doing shows at their stage for customers, and the other was chatting with a friend and couldn't be bothered helping customers. I went by several times and he just didn't want to be interrupted. After a 1/2 hour of this I left.

I ultimately placed order for what I needed online. I guess that's one reason I've turned to online. I HAVE gotten better customer service from the online sites than I have in a brick and mortar. Sad, but true.

I don't know if this is in line with the discussion, but I found a chance to vent...and I vented. Thank you. Smile

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

--Jon
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Actually have to agree with Jondark445... my experiences with the brick and mortar magic shops around here within the past several years leave a lot to be desired. The "demonstrators" don't really demonstrate anything, spend most of their time on the cell phones, talking to friends at the counter about what they're doing after work, etc. Used to go to the same shop 20 years ago and it was significantly different and better from a magic and business point of view.

Growing up in the brick and mortar shops was also different. The owners and demonstrators took young people under their wing and showed them how to perform, what to buy, what not to buy, kept us informed about new stuff, etc. Used to be much friendlier and informative it seems. I try and support my local shop when I can, but lately it has been drive an hour to be ignored by the sales people and walk out with nothing. Online has been a good experience and seems that delivery has improved as well from many online stores.

Still miss the comraderie(sp) of the old shops though.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Williams Magic in Tucson Arizona is a WONDERFUL shop. It’s 2 hrs. away, however.

I couldn't help it, I went to the bad one again. It hasn't changed a bit. He's in the back, comes and asks me "what can we do for you today". I say I'm just browsing. He starts to show me a trick that a friend of his is marketing. I say "oh, that's just like Bill Abbott's Mind Control". He's annoyed now.

I swear, I laughed and asked him if he had Tabary's rope book ( see my first post at the start of this thread ). His eyes light up. Off the shelf it comes. I take out my cell phone and tell him hold on I have a call and walk out.

I know, childish. But..I just couldn't help it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Ha Ha, very funny Chris.

I hate to complain but many negative experiences with the brick and Moratr's in my area as well.

I don't want to single them out though this is a public forum-

But- a few gripes-

One store near here advertises it's hours on the phone- but they are rarely open when they say they are-

Several times I have called only to get an answering machine-

They did not have the following items last time I called-

A svengalli deck in bicycle, the 61 cent trick, an expanded shell half-

Last time I visited this store the proprietor seemed miffed that I did a few card tricks for customers that required a regualar deck. "Here, try it with this one", he said, as he tossed an Arne Rising deck on the counter. I felt a bit unwelcome to say the least.

The other store wasn't bad and the proprietor was a prety nice guy but, for every item I asked for that he did not have, he felt he needed to counter with an offer for another item he did have in stock.

After asking what kind of Ring Flight's he had in stock (he had none) he offered up a wallet that doubled as a fire wallet/ "card to wallet" of some sort.

He also did not have a 61 cent trick or an expanded shell half of any kind.

He also kept saying that if he didn't have it he could order it for me. Well, - no ***t I can order it too- the whole point of going to a brick and mortar is that I can get it there on that day- really I was just looking for filler material for my gig's just in case I ran through most of my material or got bored of performing the same routines dozens of times throughout the evening.

Both stores were "out of stock" or missing the most basic items that every store should have at all times-

an array of silks in varrious colors and sizes, an expanded shell half, a sevengali in bicycle, a good version of ring flight (if one exists) professional grade linking rings and cups and balls- both stores had these items but they were awful- one set of rings (royal? 5 inch) looked like some kind of plumbing equipment, and the cups and chops were pitiful- junk-

Maybe they think magician's already have many of these standard items- but I sold a lot of my stuff when I stopped performing years ago. Standard itmes should ALWAYS be in stock- no excuses.

Some say the internet is responsible for the killing off of B and M's - maybe they're just killing themselves-
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Brick & Mortar Magic Shops, an endangered species? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL