The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Funny rope routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
What have you guys found to be the funniest rope routine?
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
dave burgess
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of dave burgess
Can't go wrong with Michael Finney's cut n' restored routine. I think it's called "lady rope routine." Also, Whit Haydyn's Mongolian Pop-Knot is well worth checking out.
-Dave
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
If someone funny like Aldo Columbini does a rope routine, it is funny. If most of the rest of us do it, it is more likely to be unfunny.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Steve Bedwells' routine.
Hands down.
Worth it's weight in gold.

pm me for info.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
It depends on who's performing the routine. I'm afrayed it's knot the rope that's funny.

Really, you need to find a rope routine that fits your personality. I like Loose Ends by John Zander. It's funny for me. I can't make Pro's Nightmare funny. I like Steve Bedwell's routine as well but I feel like I may be making fun of the audience member when I do it.

I like Insomnia too. It can be funny if you use the right patter. Whit Hayden's Mongolian Pop Knot can be funny in the right hands.

You just have to trust your instincts and try a few routines see what fits you.

John
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
John,
Is Loose Ends a Professor's Nightmare routine?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2005-06-20 17:42, Mac_Stone wrote:
John,
Is Loose Ends a Professor's Nightmare routine?

No, it's not at all. You show a rope then a rope with two ends then with two loops (as in a loop of rope).

Then some other stuff. It's easy, visual and funny.

John
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Actually, a man in a tuxedo playing with a piece of rope in front of an audience is pretty funny.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Thanks for the reply....I'll check into Michael Finney and steve bedwells stuff. And also, I think knowing a good patter has a lot to do with being funney

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Profile of oldwilson_2000
Let's not forget Mac King's "other rope routine".
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Nor Whit Haydn's "Mongolian Pop-Knot." Smile
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Yes Whit I have heard of that but never knew it was a comedy item...........oldwilson-2000.....other rope routine?
Where is htis?

oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Profile of oldwilson_2000
@Gog-glorified: Mac King's "other rope routine" was used by David Copperfield in his Orient Express Special, using a presentational idea by Whit from his comedy 4 ring routine.

@Whit:
- I didn't mention the Mongolian Pop-Knot because (and only because) somebody else already mentioned it.
- Congrats on your ring routine!
- Please correct me if I am wrong on the Mac King/Copperfield thing.

Frank
Ola
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia / Sweden
245 Posts

Profile of Ola
...or David Williamson's "Rope & Ring"
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you are all the same...
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 06:17, oldwilson_2000 wrote:
@Gog-glorified: Mac King's "other rope routine" was used by David Copperfield in his Orient Express Special, using a presentational idea by Whit from his comedy 4 ring routine.

@Whit:
- I didn't mention the Mongolian Pop-Knot because (and only because) somebody else already mentioned it.
- Congrats on your ring routine!
- Please correct me if I am wrong on the Mac King/Copperfield thing.

Frank

You are correct. The piece of business in which the magician "thinks" the spectator is keeping up with him as he is teaching him something--because every time he turns around, the spectator is still at the same place as the performer--is an original bit from my Comedy Four Ring Routine. Copperfield used it in the above mentioned rope routine, Chuck Fayne uses it in a wonderful color-changing hank routine, and others have applied it in different ways.

Dai Vernon said it was the first new comedy "premise" he had seen in thirty years. He insisted that I publish my routine right away, because this bit would be stolen and applied to other routines without credit. I took his advice, and the routine was published by Jay Marshall through Magic, Inc. in 1978.

BTW, God-Glorified, The Mongolian Pop-Knot is available at School for Soundrels: http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com
Salah AAZEDINE
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
177 Posts

Profile of Salah AAZEDINE
Hi all
I saw a french magician doing a rope routine it was realy very funny I don't know the name of the routine but it's like the "do as I do"
the magicien gives a rope to spectator and he ask him to do exactly as he do lol it was realy funy cuz the spectator does the same thing as the magicien but the result isn't the same Smile
if anyone knows the trick pleas tell Smile
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Was it cut and restored.........If that is the case I can work from there

Ola,
is the ring on rope a funney routine? I realize that a lot has to do with personality, but I have never seen it done....can the actions set me up to shine with comedy?
I have always thought it to be.....put ring on..........ring comes off
NOTE: I do not know if this is how it is I have never seen it, I am only asking.
Thnaks

John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
God-glorified,

You would have to set yourself up with comedy.

Try this:

What you do is act as though you are getting the trick ready and in the course of that the ring links on the rope. Then you unlink it deliberatly without saying anything, acting as if it was a mistake.

Then while you are explaining how the trick is supposed to work it accidently happens again. You can say, "You know I was doing this trick the other day and I messed up...now it looks like the ring is linked on the rope...you never want the audience to see this." Then unlink it and start over.

After a few of these trials and tribulations you say..."Well maybe I better practice this one?"

That's how I get comedy out of these things. But if you are too serious some audience members will really think that you messed up and they won't even get the magic that the ring linked on the rope and unlinked.

John Cesta
Ola
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia / Sweden
245 Posts

Profile of Ola
GOod Morning God-glorified,
Isn't that the same with most things? Are any routines funny by default?
Sure, take the ring off and put it on again.... funny? Not in itself. Y

ou are right it needs to be character driven with appropriate patter.

The EFFECT of Whit's routine (Mongolian Pop-Knot) is not funny either. But put it in his hands with the patter to go with it.... IT KILLS.
I have seen the reaction live when he tells them that "he grinds his own pixie dust!"

Take care

Ola
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you are all the same...
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Thank you John and Ola for the reply.
Yes I agree with you both 100 percent. Bascially I was asking for ideas in patter (I guess that's what I should have said) in making these routines turn to comedy.
John, thank-you for including that in their so I may understand.
Ola, the insight on Whit's routine was very helpful
Thanks again

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Funny rope routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL