The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » The Chicken Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Never ever saw anyone else do.
At least not like my dad.

Still not really sure how
its done...

Fooled you!
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Never really heard of it
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Please talk to your Dad and get this stuff down for you if no other reason. It should not be lost.

Give him my best regards. Been going through some old TOPS when you were born, coming out party etc., ...Sure makes me feel old.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Frances - When I was working on my book about Jack Gwynne (20 years ago - wow!) I talked to your Dad at Collectors' (when it was still held in the back room at Magic, Inc.) and he told me when he first started doing the Chicken trick he talked a lot to Gwynne since Jack had done a vanishing chicken in his act for years. The one piece of advice Jack told him: "Louie - always use a hen, not a rooster." Louie: "Why, Jack?" Gwynne: "Because a hen won't wake you up in your hotel room at 5:00 in the morning!"
I too, have done a vanishing chicken in my act for years - and I always use a hen after hearing your Dad tell that story. In fact, I'm raising eight Cochin bantam chicks right now out here on my "farm" in Oregon. I think that Mike Caveney and I are about the only ones who use Cochins anymore. They're great looking birds on stage.
Regards - David Charvet
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-17 23:03, hugmagic wrote:
Please talk to you Dad and get this stuff down for you if no other reason. It should not be lost.

Give him my best regards. Been going through some old TOPS when you were born, coming out party etc., ...Sure makes me feel old.

Richard

I was kidding about not knowing how its done.
I actually figured it out when I was probably 8.
It's quite cute. I could do the trick. I was curious
to know if anyone else knew the vanish or did it.

I really miss TOPS magazine. I have George's
collection of them. Almost the entire 30 years
worth, give or take a few missing copies. The
first year, first issue from the 2nd time around
with Uncle Sid on the cover is framed.

Them are the good 'ole days, and you feel old?
I definitely feel nostalgic, not everyone my
generation can say they knew that generation.
I was very fortunate.

Quote:
On 2005-06-21 04:13, David Charvet wrote:
Frances - When I was working on my book about Jack Gwynne (20 years ago - wow!) I talked to your Dad at Collectors' (when it was still held in the back room at Magic, Inc.) and he told me when he first started doing the Chicken trick he talked a lot to Gwynne since Jack had done a vanishing chicken in his act for years. The one piece of advice Jack told him: "Louie - always use a hen, not a rooster." Louie: "Why, Jack?" Gwynne: "Because a hen won't wake you up in your hotel room at 5:00 in the morning!"
I too, have done a vanishing chicken in my act for years - and I always use a hen after hearing your Dad tell that story. In fact, I'm raising eight Cochin bantam chicks right now out here on my "farm" in Oregon. I think that Mike Caveney and I are about the only ones who use Cochins anymore. They're great looking birds on stage.
Regards - David Charvet

My dad used the rooster. And actually it looks better.
They weren't soo bad as far as crowing...Dad wants
to start raising them again in fact. He looks at
the Murray McMurray catalog all the time making planns
on how many of what chicks he plans to buy. I know
I miss my Chinese Cochans. I grew up with them, my
little pets, very curious and smart birds... and they
are almighty beautiful too! I think soon we'll have
little ones running around. They definitely are the
natural alarm clock!

www.mai-ling.net
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Frances -
My current "flock" of 8 Cochins are about 2 months old now and since I bought the chicks from a "straight run" (not sexed) there are a mix of hens and roosters.
If your Dad would like one of the roosters, I'll send you a white one with my compliments.
Regards -
David
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

I told my dad. I'm still waiting for an answer.
I'll ask him after lunch.

I know what my answer is.

:)

Posted: Sep 26, 2005 1:55pm
Still trying to find the chicken.

Posted: Sep 29, 2005 10:59pm
And so my dad requested to watch the DVD again. Its really puts a smile on his face to see the show.

A local station filmed this particular show and there goes the chicken, and I said to my dad: "dad, I want to you see you do that again!"
and he said, "I would like to too."

This god *** stroke really puts a damper on things, you know? I mean he can't do the stuff he used to to do. Such a genius still, I'm sure he's figuring his own one sided body magic show.

www.mai-ling.net
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
He will do the chicken again. I fully expect the Chinese Don Rickles of Magic to rise again.

As I said before you dad (& mom) did a great show but when he started talking and cracking his jokes, he remnded me of Don Rickles.

My best to you all.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Here's a big wish from California for "Chinese Louie" to work again!!!! say hi for me...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » The Chicken Vanish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL