The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Info On Houdeen??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I just received a Houdeen postcard today and was wondering if anyone had any info on him. It's about circa 1910, England. I guess he wanted to copy Hardeen and Houdini and cover all bases. The postcard names him as Leo Hardeen. I have another one from the Price collection, circa 1920, and he has the same name too, but Price type in (DeHolt) after his name.

Thanks In Advance,
Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
About all I can offer you is that I have the same card in my collection - only the name had been painted out on the bottom of the photo and the name on the card is "The Great Deville". Now, name changes are something that happens, but it could also be someone "borrowed" the photo and layout of the card and put their name on it as they were perhaps not photogenic. So, your card has info about Houdeen serving in the army overseas for the Great War, and that puts it in the 1914-1919 period (I know the war ended in 1918, but the troop positioning did not get reduced until 1919). On my card is a hand written note about the Wizard magazine which I think started in 1910? the card is signed H. Deville, so maybe he was a "Harry" as well.
Heckova mystery.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

This is bad. Now we have imitators of Houdini imitators! That is some wild story. And I thought just keeping up with Harry was tough! Smile

Thanks for the info!

Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
deville+2
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of deville+2
Re: The Great Deville:

Does the postcard have the picture shown on the Romiley Arts Federation website page:
http://website.lineone.net/~farrago2/raf......vidx.htm
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
My copy of the postcard is the same photo, which matches the one in the Pitella collection. With the information on the Romiley arts page I am thinking I was wrong to say that Deville used someone else's, that is to say Houdeen's image with the name painted out. Perhaps someone has a missing piece to this puzzle.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I just came across the postcards again. This one signed by (Leo) Houdeen. Same image/history as Danville. I also came across another Houdeen with his real name as DeHolt, from the Price collection. Entirely different person, but same era.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I just found another one of these jokers. He calls himself "Harry Hutine".
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

New one! Empress! The Female Houdini!
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Info On Houdeen??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL