The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Dallas Ft. Worth MetroPlex (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I did a site wide search for the words Dallas, Fort Worth, and MetroPlex. I wanted to see if anyone had posted about this area being a good/bad one for a Magician to work in concerning restaurants and busking. Found nothing. I frequent area eateries, spend much time in public places, and have done so for most of my 44 years and have never seen a Magician in a restaurant or working the street. Either this is a field that hasn't been plowed and planted or the soil is too poor, tough and rocky to bother. Since I am new to the Magical Community I am unaware of any regional biases. If anyone can enlighten me to anything such as this for this area you would save me much bush beating. I'm the persistent type but have learned about the head to wall routine. Again, any knowledgeable input will be much appreciated.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3430 Posts

Profile of Julie
There's a ton of outdoor activities in that area--6 flags and all (at least when I lived in that area)-- and Fort Worth is especially "casual" > maybe it's ripe for you?! Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Go to htto://www.dallasmagic.org that is the Dallas IBM ring and SAM assembly, there is one in Ft. Worth too. Don't know too much about if there is much busking there, but there a number who work resturants. Member list and emails on site, or attend a meeting. They will be glad to have you.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4014 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I live just outside of Dallas (actually, about 40 yards outside!). My personal view is that DFW is, as far as being a 'ripe' area for a working magician, has a way to go to catch up to other areas. There are many reasons I feel this way, and of course, not all of them apply to every potential spectator. 2 reasons are weather (busking) and the cultural atmosphere here (busking and table hopping).

Read the above carefully - I did not say it is a *bad* situation. Just not as welcoming as other places.

That is not to say it can't be done - it can - there is always room at the top for the best. If you can entertain, they will come (and hopefully, give).

Where do you live in DFW?

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I'm currently in North Richland Hills. Please expound on the cultural atmosphere of which you speak. As far as weather goes, yeah it's way hot now and we have summer for ten months out of the year, but people get out to do all sorts of stuff. It just dawned on me that I had never seen a Magician working and wondered, ala Seinfeld, "What's the deal with that?" I'm aware of the Dallas IBM ring and SAM assembly, that was my first search. Haven't contacted anyone yet, after searching the personal stuff they have on the site I got the impression that the style of Magic that was done by the members was more suited to stage, parties, and corporate stuff. I'm interested in restaurant work and busking, not that they couldn't help me with Magic and presentation in general I'm sure they could, but the question is still, what's up with the lack of "exposure" in this area.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Check with the local magic club. They know who is working (for the most part)
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
newtonjj
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
12 Posts

Profile of newtonjj
The Dallas Magic Club is a good club. I think there is a dove lecture at this next meeting, but the average meeting has some close-up stuff. Besides, I think the best part of the meeting is after it's over, and a lot of us go to Bennigans for a late dinner/appetizers. The talk there is mostly close-up, and mostly cards. We'd love to have you.

Last month we had Daryl do a 30 minute show! And, he went to Bennigans with us, very cool.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Dallas Ft. Worth MetroPlex (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL