The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self-Working Tricks for the worker (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Couldn't really find anything on a search, so here goes:

This is for everyone, but I'm especially curious about those who truly perform regularly.

Do you have any self-working card tricks in your routine? If so, what is it, where in your routine is it, and why is it there?

And finally, opinions on the the strongest self-worker that you know of?

As I know little self-working tricks, my favorite is Do as I Do. It is just a great little trick, that I have NEVER been busted on, even when I was sucking at it. In any case, I came to wonder how many of you have self-workers in their set routines.
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
Alejandro Peterson
View Profile
Elite user
México
408 Posts

Profile of Alejandro Peterson
The strongest self working card effect in my opinion is "The ultimate fate" by John Guastaferro, I think is very hard to beat this effect. It`s in Second Storm Lecture Notes
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
The only trick I do that's "self working" (i hate that term)or should I say with minimal slieghts is veronons poker deal.

I think its his...

the only move is culling for cards while removing the aces. and theres no heat at that moment.
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Steve Beam Semi Automatic Card Tricks. Lots of ammunition there.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Check out nervous breakdown on JBTV.CO.UK. it is a versian of twisted sisters
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Would you consider out of this world a self working effect? I do.......
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
green
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of green
MY vote goes for J.C. Super Closer by J.C. Wagner. The strongest self working card trick I have ever seen. You could find on Ammar's ETMCM Vol 4.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I think most workers discard self working effects and opt for ones with stronger effects.

Im sure that there are some self working effects that are strong, but usually they are muddled.

like china doll from the surreal life.

"my family will pray for you".

I love you shane.

He so corny!

-slowmo-

Meeee sooooo hooooornnnnny....
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
294 Posts

Profile of Dirko
Untouched works great!
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
'Shuffle Bored' by Simon Aronson!
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
I can't bring myself to call any trick a self-working effect. (If I had a real self-working effect, I'd ask it to perform itself, and I could excuse myself and go to the restroom. Upon my return, my audience, relaxed and entertained, would then be 'warmed up' and ready for some real knuckle busting stuff. I have a hard time coming up with an effect that could qualify.)

I will say that some tricks, by virtue of the fact that they don't require difficult sleight-of-hand, merely require the magician to follow the correct sequence while saying the right words. Many of these effects, particularly those based on mathematical principles, are deadly dull. But there are exceptions to the rule.

Such a happy exception is the effect "Dead Reckoning" found in the latest John Bannon book, Dear Mr. Fantasy. It's simple, the presentation is not demanding, the procedure is not overly long or complicated, and the effect still manages to be bewildering, magical, and entertaining. This is the best 'easy' effect that I've seen in a long time.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2005-06-21 01:36, BarryFernelius wrote:

Such a happy exception is the effect "Dead Reckoning" found in the latest John Bannon book, Dear Mr. Fantasy. It's simple, the presentation is not demanding, the procedure is not overly long or complicated, and the effect still manages to be bewildering, magical, and entertaining. This is the best 'easy' effect that I've seen in a long time.

The best thing is that it doesn't FEEL mathematical. It just seems very clean and genuinely spooky. I wish I'd taken better notes at TSD4. I could have been doing this effect for a whole 2 years before it was finally published.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The last trick in the bannon book is also self working but the spectator has such free rein during the effect that I am considering it for some occasions and I just hate self working tricks and would never perform one at a paid venue.

As soon as someone pulls out a packet trick, a spelling trick, a counting trick, a piles trick, I puke.

This one has me thinking, though.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Quote:
On 2005-06-20 21:47, Godhandz wrote:
Would you consider out of this world a self working effect?

No.

Ok, maybe I should clarify. Any of those effects that require no sleight of hand, or prior set-up. Technically, there are no sleights in OOTW, but there sure is a set-up. And any version that doesn't require set-ups require some form of deception by using a sleight or two.

Could someone explain the effect of JC's Super Closer? I've heard of it before, but I'm not sure that I've heard a description. Even more interesting is that it is used as a closer.
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
Canvey Island Essex ENGLAND
552 Posts

Profile of Canvey Card Sharp
Don't dismiss ANY of the Karl Fulves self working card trick books by Dover.

Just because they are as cheap as chips and available to the public via Amazon, doesn't mean they aren't chock full of good magic (admittedly along with some dross - but then again some other prolific writers have tended to write every brainfart they have had)!

I used to watch a magic dealer in London called Alan Alan demonstrate items from the first Fulves book when he had his shop on the mid 1970's. The result was always very favourable with laymen and he sold a lot of copies.

On another point Alan Alan was the ONLY dealer I've ever seen that would demonstrate effects from a book if somebody was interested in purchasing it. Little tip you may want to try the next time you visit a dealer. Pick up a book you may be interested in and ask them whether they recommend it or if its any good. When they use their sales patter describing just how wonderful it is and how you cannot live without it, ask them to show you just ONE effect from it.

Maybe I've got a warped sense of humour, but I have always enjoyed seeing the expression on their faces and listening to their excuses why they can't!
Barry Allen

A Trick....A Smile....Applause
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
In Davenports in London, the workers behind the counter will be able to perform an effect from most of the books, if not more. As you say, its important to show people how things really look as opposed to claiming it is the best book on the market... like very other one on the shelf.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I highly recommend "Stack Attack" by L.R. Brooks!
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
KidCrehshaw's orginal query was:

"Do you have any self-working card tricks in your routine? If so, what is it, where in your routine is it, and why is it there?"

Then, he provided a clarification to his conditions:

"Ok, maybe I should clarify. Any of those effects that require no sleight of hand, or prior set-up."

Once you eliminate all set-ups, you also eliminate most of the best effects discussed in this thread. KidCrenshaw, what other conditions are required of an effect that is 'self-working'? Even Do As I Do requires non-trivial skills on the part of the performer. Where do you draw the line? Please state ALL of your conditions clearly.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Hehe, ok, I'll give it another shot.

I only tried to clarify because I felt there were a few who were attempting a philosophical response. I only wanted a simple answer, nothing more.

So, let's all assume we're on the same page, we all know what I mean by "self-working".

I'm still curious about those who may regularly perform a self-worker, and where in that routine do you fit it in?

Also, I wonder if many people share the idea of not performing a self-working trick in a paid performance? To me, depending on the obvious strength of it, a carefully refined trick should be done under any conditions. I mean, if it's a great trick, why should it's means of accomplishment matter to your audience? Shouldn't they be unaware of the difference?

I'm getting vaklempft, talk amongst yourselves
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
Quote:
On 2005-06-21 03:00, Frank Starsini wrote:
The last trick in the bannon book is also self working but the spectator has such free rein during the effect that I am considering it for some occasions and I just hate self working tricks and would never perform one at a paid venue.

As soon as someone pulls out a packet trick, a spelling trick, a counting trick, a piles trick, I puke.

This one has me thinking, though.

I think you are thinking of Timely Departure which is also my favorite.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self-Working Tricks for the worker (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL